“It's Pahrump - it's what you expect in Pahrump”

Pahrump Nugget Hotel and Gambling Hall
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Pahrump
Reviewed 21 August 2010

Now, I knew already that Pahrump was a peculiar place, but on this trip to Death Valley, it was either Pahrump or Vegas, and we had had enough Vegas for awhile. Pahrump has its famous inhabitants, and its eccentrics and it is a side of Nevada that has interested me since childhood, so I didn't mind Pahrump itself. I have family who lived Henderson, Vegas, North Vegas and not in the best parts, and that branch of the family had different ideas about nearly everything. They smoke for example. To me it seems every person in Nevada smokes, so nothing ever seems completely clean. I expected this hotel/casino to be much worse than it actually was. It does not pretend to be anything that it's not. It's a safe place to stay in Pahrump, with gambling and a lively atmosphere. It is not seedy or gritty and people in the casino behave themselves, although they have several rooms of casinos somewhat blocked off from each other by doors or curtains and, enter at your own risk.

The girls at the front desk were friendly and we chatted for quite a while about clothes and hair upon checking in, and I referred them to places to shop in California. They did not, later, as has happened at other Nevada hotels, charge my credit card with something extra - and now, we have a special card just for travel that we monitor closely, with the ability to move money off the card so that only the approved charge will go through on that day. So, I'd go back to this hotel and use that card, or simply hope that I was friendly enough to avoid being singled out by the front desk staff. They were very sweet to us, and we had no complaints.

We had asked for one of the more expensive rooms in the hotel, and it was about $80. This too makes a difference. Our room was near the back of the hotel, not near the casino, had only one brief section of wall in the bathroom that was shared with others, and so noise was actually not an issue. The bed was big and covered in red velvet, and there was an enormous tiled (and clean) hot tub/bath tub in addition to a separate shower and bathtub. The big tub was right in the middle of the bedroom, and the TV was just fine. As we had spent a couple of days hiking and camping, it was great to run very hot water and soak in the tub and use the jets.

The room had been smoked in before (again, what room in Nevada has not been?) but it was definitely aired out and relatively clean. The carpet was old and worn, and I wouldn't have done my yoga on it without a mat. Again, that's what I expect in Nevada at this price point.

Main advantage of this place is that is on the way to Grand Canyon from Death Valley, and if you are needing a place to stay at the last minute, it's probably going to have availability. Use common sense about your credit card bill and you might be okay here. I certainly have recommended it to friends (who are somewhat intrepid). It's sort of like a low end Motel Six with a Casino attached, but also red velvet and big soaking pool in room. Nifty in its own way. Room was enormous, sheets were clean (we always check for vermin, no vermin).

I would warn my friend about room choice though - I don't think the rooms closer in to the casino were as quiet as ours, and I do believe the other peoples' comments about noise - we just lucked out to get this particular room.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
4  Thank LeBiscuit D

Reviewed 8 August 2010

My husband and I stayed there for a night get-away and to tour the Pahrump Winery. Linda at the Nugget Players booth was out of this world-the front desk clerks were a little bit cranky-we stood in line right in front of them as they were chatting and surfing the internet for a good 5 minutes before we were noticed. While checking us in, they were still chatting between each other--not my idea of customer service.
The rooms are modern and up to date--dont forget to turn in your room key when you depart or you will be "fined" 2.00 for not returning the keys upon departure.
On our next trip to Pahrump the Nugget is the place!

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 August 2010

Rooms were very clean , the service was great , food was excellent in the steak house but so so in the cafe, but it's a cafe you should not expect anything more than that. We were there for almost two weeks and had a wonderful time . We were actually looking for a nice town to retire to and I think we found it . The people are so friendly everywhere you go . WE will be going back to the Nugget many times till we find our dream home and anyone that comes to visit I will recommend that they stay at the Nugget .

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jag7286
Reviewed 6 June 2010

We were staying in Pahrump for my granddaughter's high school graduation. The room was non smoking on the first floor. The room looked pretty upscale for a small out of the way hotel. First thing though, was a bug on the floor! That was only the bad thing, otherwise it was pretty clean throughout the room. No plastic liner for ice bucket. Only two glasses. Candy and snacks displayed out on table, but how long for, I don't know. First off the remote control on TV barely worked and had a missing part. I tried to get basic cable and was immediately taken to a $$movie.... I immediately called the Front Desk and shut off the TV. Within minutes, housekeeping came and told me that they had problems with the remote and would get me another if I wanted one. I told her about the bug and she apologized. The beds were great, very comfortable as was the bedding. The in the room air conditioner cycled on and off every few minutes..Annoying, but I had brought ear plugs because of this. Also, the above tenant sounded like an elephant in the room. Ceilings must be very thin. The buffet is NOT opened for breakfast during the week. We had a decent breakfast in the Cafe. Regular stack of pancakes were under $5 and were HUGE. Coffee was decent and server kept them filled up. When checking out were were charged $2 per night for RESORT FEE!!! for what??? No newspapers, no nothing!! Also, there was a $12.95 charge for a MOVIE which I never ordered . The reservation clerk remembered this and called over her supervisor. After a 5 minute conference, they took it off but not before making the snide comment that "Now the HOTEL has to pay for the movie!! (the supervisor) Other than that, I would recommend the hotel. For joining the slot club you can get a minimum of a few dollars to play the slots. Not worth it.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 May 2010

eat and gamble here but if you want a clean room, STAY ANY OTHER PLACE!!!!! our room was so dusty that i dont think it was cleaned for years!!! i saw spots on the bathroom floor so i ran a wet towel across it and the towel was BLACK.....long story short, i cleaned the room before we could stand to be in it and when i told the front desk about it and showed the woman my black towel, she just shook her head. i guess i was hoping she would offer a solution to this problem....NOPE......thought someone would clean it for the following night's stay.....NOPE!!!!! just as filthy the second day as the first. we were totally UNimpressed with the check in process and with every girl that worked the front desk. they were NOT friendly or accomadating and on top of all the other problems we had, they tried to charge us a resort fee on top of what we already prepaid 2 months earlier!!!! REALLY?? so if you stay here and prepaid without the fee, be sure to throw a fit about it because thats the only way they will remove it....sad isnt it that we would have to fight like that for whats only right. there is no security at the hotel doors, anybody can enter the hotel halls from the casino.....we didnt have any problems with that, but to some that might be an issue.

the good.......we did happy hour and ate at the steakhouse and it was fabulous. also the cafe is excellent food and the service is good. the casino is small and smoky but we had fun there, the machines are modern and service in the restaurants and casino is good and always with a smile.....that good food and service is the only reason we can look back on the pahrump trip with a smile.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank phoenixdeb
Reviewed 2 April 2010

This hotel is terrible, dirty, and dusty. Bathroom floor was full of spots. I had to go out and buy something to disinfect my room. Walls are thin, and you hear everyone, next door as well as hallways. The Ac doesn't work. Internet extremely slow. The tissue paper box was empty and the toilet paper ruff.
The restaurants are pretty decent, and the service was very good. The staff was very friendly.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 January 2010

Stayed here for 7 days and for the first three days could not get the maid to change the sheets, housekeeping supervisor said she "forgot" to put the special cards next to the bed if you want your sheets changed - sure she forgot. Casino and food are excellent here - watch your bill at check out for add on's that they just decided to put on our room bill. Rooms are comfortable other than than the AC/Heater, if you want the fan on to cover noise in the rooms next door and hallways you can't have AC or heat, so the unit cycles on and off about every 20-30 minutes all night which woke me up everytime it occured. Guess most of the guest are usually drunk so not an issue for most. Staff is very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank MauiDiver
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pahrump
Saddle West Hotel, Casino and RV Resort
Pahrump RV Park & Lodging
Preferred RV Resort
Preferred RV Resort
#4 of 6 in Pahrump

Been to Pahrump Nugget Hotel and Gambling Hall? Share your experiences!