“So so”

Charlie Palmer Steak Reno
Reserve with OpenTable
Charlie Palmer Steak Reno is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #28 of 935 Restaurants in Reno
Price range: US$30 - US$50
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Groups
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Jensen Street
Description: Charlie Palmer Steak Reno in the Grand Sierra Resort is a study in contemporary contrasts, from blonde wooden walls enhanced by mica and leather accents, to midnight blue, deep terracotta and espresso texture fabrics, and stylish booths, featuring natural grain faux leather baguettes, with floor-to-ceiling stretched fabric panels, creating a Mondrian effect. Showing his culinary diversity, Executive Chef Dave Holman, who oversees all the Palmer Grand Sierra Resort restaurants, skillfully mixes the past, present, and future in neo-traditional renditions of steak houses classics, like Pan Seared Sea Scallops & Crispy House Bacon with tangerine marmalade and poultry jus. Charlie Palmer Steak Reno is imaginative resort dining topped off with just the right amount of finesse.
Reno, Nevada
“So so”
Reviewed 10 November 2013 via mobile

The restaurant was very noisy. Service was so so. Disappointed in restaurant. House salad dressing tasted like Kraft Italian. My filet mignon was overdone. Hopefully you do not need a restroom because it is quite a hike.

Visited November 2013

Lincoln, California, United States
“Casino Steak House Is a Bad Bet”
Reviewed 24 October 2013

We chose the Charlie Palmer steak house in the Grand Sierra Casino Resort for a decompression dinner following a round of golf at nearby Arrow Creek. We were staying at the hotel and read the extravagant publicity surrounding the resort's ostensibly finest restaurant. We were disappointed in the service and the food, and the price tag made matters worse. Our two servers were amiable enough, but nowhere near as skilled or polished as a high end restaurant should have -- management's fault., The food was only fair -- my New York steak was tasty but no better than I prepare at home. My wife's swordfish was dry and tasteless. Side dishes of asparagus (OK) and mac'n'cheese (seemingly out of the proverbial blue box) were not worthy of the hype surrounding the place. Though we brought our own wine, the $25 corkage fee pushed our tab for two well over $100, before tip. While not an exorbitant dinner tab if the value is there, in this case the ratio of price to dining experience was a loser bet.

Reno, Nevada
“Not a good experience”
Reviewed 21 October 2013

I really wanted to give this place a 5 Star because it was so impressive when we walked in. The ambiance was romantic and sophisticated so we were expecting great things.

When we were seated the wait staff was very attentive letting us know the names of the staff that would be serving us.....then it went down hill.

I ordered the bisque after reading the great reviews, and I was so disappointed; it literally had no taste. It had a beautiful presentation and after the first bite I thought maybe I just had scooped up too much cream, but unfortunately that was not the case. The soup was served luke-warm as well. My husband ordered the french-onion soup and I was so jealous when I saw it as it was served with a puff-pastry topping....it looked beautiful! Unfortunately he had the same problem, the base of the soup had little flavor, such a let down.

Onto the salads and entrees. Our salads arrived about 20 minutes after our soups which was a little long to wait, but they were very tasty and fresh. After our salad plates were cleared away our main server came to our table and said I will get your salads now. We told him our salads had been served and cleared away. He said, "oh I have clearly missed a step."

Another 25 minutes went by before our steaks arrived. I ordered the bleu cheese encrusted sirloin (medium rare) and my husband ordered the New York Strip. To be fare his was cooked to perfection and watered in his mouth. Thankfully he did share with me so I could have something that had some taste. Mine however was a complete bust. Mine was so small that I could not believe it qualified as a steak. Getting past the portion size, it was so over-cooked and dry it was barely edible. It took 20 minutes for our server to come back and after waiting 40 minutes to get our entrees I did not want wait any longer. He looked at the steak and apologized and that was basically it, he did not offer to bring another one (which at this point I wouldn't have wanted.)

We ordered a mushroom medley as a side that was served again luke-warm and looked as if it had been over-cooked and had a bland taste.

As I said this was a pricey dinner and we really had great expectations. The restaurant is sophisticated and has a great atmosphere...not sure if this was a fluke night for them, but I would probably not go back..

1 Thank LoriMacc
San Francisco, California
“First Time At Charlie Palmers”
Reviewed 13 October 2013

We have stayed at the Grand Sierra Resort many times and have seen Charlie Palmers restaurant but have never eaten there. It was our 30th Anniversary so I made online reservations via the Grand Sierra Resort website which uses Open Table as the platform. Very easy to use and I also referenced on the reservation that it was our 30th Anniversary.

The restaurant's atmosphere is very nice and a romantic setting. The lighting was a little dim but that didn't bother either one of us. We started off with an Annabella Merlot that was excellent and my wife had the lobster bisque which she said was delicious. They also serve you with an assortment of very nice breads. Your main course comes with a house salad and 1 side dish. The house salad was interesting. The salad greens were fresh and the dressing was very good. The interesting part of the salad was that they added small pieces of sweet potato chips to it. It didn't ruin the flavor of the salad, it just made it interesting.

My wife had the wild caught salmon with the grilled veggies for her side and I had the New York strip steak with a baked potato. Both dishes were excellent. I had my steak medium rare and I must say it was a generous piece of steak - I wasn't expecting to get a large cut of steak. They give you 3 home made steak sauces one of which is their own concoction. I just taste tested all three sauces and really didn't care for any of them.

However, what they add to your steak dish is a reduce wine sauce which is out of this world! I had that with the steak instead of the steak sauces. My wife said the salmon was very moist and not dry and the grilled veggies were excellent!

Now here's where the service scored big with me. Before we received our main course, my wife had to make a phone call outside of the restaurant because the cell signal was too weak from where we were sitting. Then our main courses came and she was still outside on the call. Our waitress ask if I wanted her to bring her dish back and keep it warm until she returned - I told her no she should be back in a couple of minutes. The waitress came back in a couple of minutes to check if she returned and I told her to go ahead and bring it back to the kitchen and keep it warm. My wife finally came back after a few minutes and our waitress saw her from a distance and flagged one of the servers right away and they got her dish to her right as she sat down.

We didn't have any dessert as we were so full from the dinner, however what they do give you is a few delicious sweets and gave my wife a tiny gift wrapped loaf of carrot cake - nice touch.

I would say the only disappointing part of the dinner was that they didn't acknowledge our 30th Anniversary that I mentioned on my online reservation. Possibly the hostess overlooked that part of the reservation - that would have given them the fifth star.

Other than that, we enjoyed Charlie Palmers and would definitely go there again.

Park City, Utah
“Happy hour great deal, nice atmosphere”
Reviewed 1 October 2013

We are in the GSR hotel every year for the air races. Have tried other steak houses in Reno but this is the best. Steak and sides have always been excellent. The atmosphere/decor is sophisticated, unlike many restaurants in Reno casinos, which I value when having a nice dinner. Sometimes we make a dinner at the bar: $1 oysters, fried calamari, sliders, Margaritas are super, friendly bartenders and several TVs if you want to catch a game.

• Visited September 2013

Been to Charlie Palmer Steak Reno? Share your experiences!