“Excellent food, almost all healthy options”
Review of Dish Cafe

Dish Cafe
Ranked #142 of 957 Restaurants in Reno
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch
Reviewed 10 June 2013 via mobile

My wife and I went here for lunch early (11:15). The downside of our visit was that it still took 20 minutes for us to get our food, even though there was only one other person there.

The grilled cheese is excellent (definitely try) and my wife enjoyed the Reuben. If I lived in Reno and worked downtown I would plan to wait 20-30 min for my food, but I would be a regular.

Reviewed 12 April 2013

I honestly decided to pay a visit to this restaurant based on the reviews! I was not disappointed. It's generally a "sandwich place" and very busy with the lunch crowd... you order at the counter and then have a seat with a number for your table. Even though I went when it was actually not peak lunch time, it was still crowded and the line when I left was about 8 people deep. I had the Cowgirl sandwich, which was the one they tout as being featured on the Food Network. The trip tip was moist and not overly flavorful so it did not compete with the goat cheese but, instead, complemented it nicely. There were caramelized onions on the sandwich, too, but not enough for my taste. Overall, it was a pretty good sandwich. The highlight of my lunch, however, was the chicken curry with apple soup that was on special that day-- it was creamy with chunks of chicken and perfectly spiced. It was a good pair with the sandwich I chose.

As for the rest... the girls at the counter were very pleasant and the restaurant's baked goods looked delightful... wish I would have had room! I did feel a little pressure as I approached the counter to make a decision quickly, such that I didn't feel like I could really consider for any significant amount of time what I wanted to order or whether I wanted some sweets to have for dessert or take with me. I would have just liked a little more time to think things through, because there were so many interesting choices. I don't want to imply that the staff was pressuring me, though-- they did not and were all very nice. The restaurant itself is a little crowded with tables, and forget about having any type of private conversation here-- your neighbors will hear it all. Also, because of the jammed-in tables in the place, with barely enough room to walk by someone without hitting them with your purse, I felt a little claustrophobic and like, if I was sitting in the back, I would have a hard time getting out of the place if there happened to be a fire or other emergency.

All in all, I would return... and next time try something different!

Reviewed 21 March 2013

Just returned from a trip to Reno, where I had been advised by a foodie friend here in Seattle, to eat at the Dish Cafe. Taxi driver had never heard of it so I had to use my GPS to guide us there. It is off the beaten path, thank goodness!!, otherwise one might never get in the door and find a table to dine at this absolutely fabulous gem. From the moment we walked in I loved the feel of the place and knew my friend had hit the jackpot in directing me there. The quiche was divine, the fruit outstanding, fresh and it tasted like fruit - something any dining patron can understand I'm sure! Everything about this place is a memory I want to revisit soon! Had to purchase their fabulous granola to bring home as well as buy a chocolate chip cookie to nibble on through the day. Maybe I should have bought more than one, it was heavenly! Mentioned this place to our Resort Concierge, who also hadn't heard of it (?!), but those big resorts want their concierges to only suggest the eateries within their own resorts; she looked up the Dish while I was chatting with her and has made it her priority to go there asap. Walked to The Riverwalk after dining, a good way to burn off those delectable calories which are worth every one of them to dine here. Can't wait for a return trip to Reno, only so I can eat here and give their lunch a try and eat breakfast here again.

Reviewed 1 March 2013

These people use the freshest ingredients that are locally grown. Friendly staff who work hard. I have only gone for lunch but returned a number of times. Salads are huge.

2  Thank BasqueWanderer
Reviewed 28 January 2013

I went to Dish based on reviews, which was a great recommendation. It is in a very small spot at the end of a medical office building (?). I had to recheck my GPS to be sure I was at the right place. I would not have stopped there if not for the reviews. The food was great. I had the breakfast burrito and it didn't disappoint. It was by far the most enjoyable meal I had in Reno. The best part aside from the food was eavesdropping on the general conversations going on around me. The staff was talking about food and trying new recipes. Their passion for good food is evident even if they are not jumping up and down trying to convince others that they are *that good*. I will make it a point to go again!

2  Thank sheehyv