“Nice selection and delicious food!”
Review of Dish Cafe

Dish Cafe
Ranked #72 of 992 Restaurants in Reno
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch
Reviewed 17 February 2014

I found out about Dish Cafe from two sources- I saw it featured on Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives (with Guy Fieri- Food Network) AND when we subscribed to the Reno Gazette Journal, Dish Cafe's owner writes a weekly food column for the Nevada Food Section. Her recipes always sound tasty and fresh, so when my husband and I found ourselves travelling to Reno from Carson City today, we decided to stop by and taste for ourselves.
Dish Cafe is a tiny restaurant in a commercial-y part of town. We were promptly greeted and handed a menu as soon as we walked in the door. The specials of the day are clearly marked on a pretty chalkboard over the counter. The menu is pretty impressive for such a small place!
I decided on the 'mixy-matchy' special of half sandwich and a cup of soup. I ordered the roasted eggplant, roasted red bell pepper, spinach and goat cheese half sandwich on rye, with a cup of the daily avgolemono (greek lemon egg rice soup) for $8.95. My husband ordered the deviled egg sandwich on sourdough ($7.95). Both orders came with a pickle spear and a small mesclun greens salad dressed with a yummy balsamic dressing. While I was waiting to order, the lady in front of me lamented to the cashier that there weren't any cookies displayed. The cashier told her that the chocolate chip and toffee cookies were in the oven. He explained that they ran out of everything on Valentine's Weekend (the previous couple of days) so they had to start baking all over again. When I ordered I asked to pay for a cookie for my husband and I to split- the cashier said he would deliver it fresh from the oven.
The restaurant is VERY tiny. There are about 12 tables. It's very cute inside with all vintage tables and chairs and a perfectly adorable vintage clock made from serving utensils on the wall.
Our food came pretty quickly- about 6 minutes from order to delivery and everything was delicious. The only thing I wish I had done is asked for my sandwich to be toasted. My husband said that his sandwich was delicious and not overly salty or spiced. The other thing we liked about this place is that they use locally sourced and organic ingredients as often as possible.
Everything was very fresh tasting and tasty. The avgolemono was perfect- nice and creamy and lemony without any one taste overpowering the other.
I have to tell you the cookie was fantastic. We split it (it's enormous) and both of us really enjoyed it very much...especially since it was hot from the oven.
The portions were perfect and the service good. I can see how this place could fill up very quickly during the week at lunch time. We arrived at 11:30AM on a Holiday (President's Day) so it was probably not as busy as usual- although, there was a line waiting to order when we left!
We will definitely return on our next trip to Reno! Delicious- friendly service- and wonderful food!

1  Thank Michele L

Reviewed 6 February 2014

Location was a little weird, but the food was good. Dessert was amazing. Unique menu. Would definitely go back.

Reviewed 22 December 2013

We were only in Reno for a few hours one day and chose this restaurant based on the Trip Advisor reviews. The quiche and cupcakes had my attention. We arrived around 2 p.m. on the last day they would be open prior to their 2-week closing for Christmas. Unfortunately they were out of both quiche and cupcakes. We settled for the salad and 1/2 sandwich. The organic baby spinach salad was among the best I've had! The black forest ham sandwich was ok, but the reuben panini, which was recommended by the owner (or manager?) was extra delicious! Actually we were guaranteed our money back if we didn't like it! Everyone there was very nice and apologized for being out of what we really wanted.

Reviewed 2 November 2013 via mobile

We have ha some of our best lunches here. Small, super cute with natural local ingredients and a friendly staff. Nancy and joe both great regulars and I have waited 45 minutes at lunch for the cupcakes to be available as my husband the baker believes they are the best he ever had. The quiche is a must. All salads are great. Quite a treat.

Reviewed 31 October 2013

It's in a brick buildling. The adress is clear to see but the Dish is small and hard to see while driving by.

You walk in pick up a menu, which is limited, make your selection and walk up to the counter and order. A little bit unconventional. I had a handcrafted mocha and a breakfast sandwich on special bread. I paid $10+ for both. The sandwich was excellent and massive. I actually took 1/2 of it with me for the long drive home.

1  Thank Dawinetaster