“Needs Improvement”

Extended Stay America - Reno - South Meadows
Ranked #32 of 64 Hotels in Reno
Reviewed 23 June 2014

I'll start this off by saying that I have two jobs - one that I travel for and one in a hotel, as a front desk agent. Thus, I'm really not picky. I'm extremely easy going and I'm not demanding at all. I don't expect much, so it's wonderful to stay somewhere that exceeds my expectations.

That said, this is the worst hotel I have EVER stayed at.

I stayed here "twice", technically. There was a four day break in between my week long stays. This was nothing to do with the hotel, but actually just with my second job and where they were putting me for the night. My total time here is two weeks.

My first "stay", Alma (I believe was her name) checked me in. She is easily the friendliest employee at this hotel. She is so personable and sweet! She called me after I got up to my room to see if everything was okay and to ask what I needed for my kitchen. She definitely made a great impression and my stay was off to a great start.

I really have no complaints about the first week. It was peaceful, minus the barking dogs. I utilized the laundry room, which does the job (bring your own detergent if you don't want to use powder detergent!).

The lady who checked me out was rude, but I didn't really care because I was in a hurry to get to work.

So now comes the FUN part of the review.

I needed to adjust my dates for my reservation. I was checking in on a Sunday, but I really needed to change my arrival date to Monday. I tried calling the hotel THREE times. Do they not have a hotel operator? The first time, I hung up because I thought it was ridiculous that the only option was to either call their emergency after hours line or leave the front office a message. I called back a few minutes later, where I actually pressed the number for the emergency after hours line because I needed to get this taken care of IMMEDIATELY. The person who answered told me to call back "in a few minutes because the front desk was busy". REALLY!? No way! So I called back 20 minutes later and ended up just leaving a voice message. Did anyone ever call me back? Nooooo, of course not!

Thankfully, I had the brains to call the 1-800 number where they took great care of me and I got everything sorted out. Well, sort of. Not only did they adjust my arrival date but they somehow adjusted my departure date as well. Not sure how this happened, since I never said I wanted to stay an extra day, but thankfully I caught on at check in. It's a silly mistake really, if the guest doesn't say that they want their stay extended, then don't do it. Not to mention, my room was put on my Government Travel Card, so it would have been a whole lot of drama if it was charged for more than what was authorized to me.

Anyhoo, moving on. I checked out of my other hotel today and tried to check in around 12:30 pm, in which the front desk agent told me, "no, absolutely not. I have no clean rooms, so you can try back at 1:30 or at the check in time which is 3." Very rude! So I went off and killed about 3 hours around town, which was fine, because I did try to check in early so I did take that chance of my room possibly not being ready. Totally understandable.

I returned at 3:15 and guess what? My room still wasn't ready! And I wasn't the only one, there were about 6 people in the lobby. The front desk agent said it was because they were short staffed. OK, 1. You NEVER use that as an excuse in the hospitality industry. How unprofessional and good job on throwing your company under the bus. 2. Don't ever tell someone their room will be ready by a certain time and then fail to keep that promise. I'm glad I chose to wait to go grocery shopping until I checked in! On the brightside, my room was ready in about 10 minutes. I feel bad for everyone else who was in the lobby as the same girl was telling them it'll be 5-15 minutes before their room was ready. I have no idea how long they were waiting for because I got there last.

The room is definitely old looking. It does the job, but there are dings and scratches. The bathroom door barely clears the kitchen counter. The TV only gets 10 channels. The beds are uncomfortable. But whatever, I'm here to work so I won't be spending a ton of time in my room.

I called to have some items delivered to my room for my kitchen. It took about 45 minutes for them to be delivered. Probably because of the staffing issue.

I expect the remainder of my stay to go much like my last "stay". Quiet and uneventful, which is good in the hospitality industry. The room is okay, but the service here is terrible. Perhaps I'm just used to staying at Hilton's and Sheratons and Hyatts?

Pros: the kitchenette is nice, nice side of town, laundry room is good for people staying here for awhile, the grab and go breakfast is alright, the rooms have an iron and ironing board in them, the staff calls to make sure everything is okay with your room after you checkin (I'd try to sound happier about it, but whatever, I'm not the boss!)

Cons: horrible customer service, they never answer the phones (unless you call from your room), beds uncomfortable, barely any amenities (but I've never been one to get excited over amenities), housekeeping comes once a week (you can have daily housekeeping for a "nominal fee"), they only leave 4 towels in the room for you to use that week (with the option of trading them in for fresh ones at the front desk), the internet is either slow or doesn't work

Next time I need to travel up to Reno and stay for a long period of time, I'll be staying next door at the Marriott.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
4  Thank kaybal13

Reviewed 5 June 2014 via mobile

Driving from MI to CA we stayed in two Extended Stays. The first was horrible, but this hotel was much better. The breakfast was just grab and go, and there arent seemingly basic amenities like lotion. However, the hotel is in a great area just outside Reno, it is a newer hotel, and the staff was very pleasant. If you get a good deal, it is a nice stay.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Reno - South Meadows, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel. It's great to hear that you enjoyed our location, our staff and your stay with us overall. We continually work to improve our hotel, so we really appreciate your feedback. We hope to have the opportunity to provide you with another great stay in the future.

Reviewed 29 April 2014

Stayed at the hotel for 3 nights while we were in town for my daughter's volleyball tournament. The exterior of the hotel is neat and welcoming. The front desk area is modern and clean. We were given a room with 2 doubles on the 3rd floor of hotel. I thought that was a good thing not having rooms above us. Instead, you heard people running up and down the hall at all hours. The room itself was a basic room. Instead of a closet, there was an open area by the window where an ironing board hung on the wall next to a wire shelf. The kitchenette was nice to have, but the set up was so tight it was hard to maneuver. The kitchenette was across from the bathroom. It was kind of odd that the door barely cleared the counter. If you used the vent above the cooktop, the air blew in your face and not out, so it was kind of useless. The worst part of the room was the beds as they were incredibly uncomfortable. It wasn't like the beds were extra firm-they felt like they had no cushion at all. Each morning I woke up with aching hips and back. We paid close to $100/night for this room. While I've stayed in these types of hotels in the past, I expected more. Overall, I wouldn't go back nor can I recommend the hotel.

• Stayed: April 2014
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Reno - South Meadows, responded to this reviewResponded 5 May 2014

I appreciate you taking the time to write a review of our hotel. Please know that your feedback is extremely valuable to us. We use feedback such as yours to improve our guest experience. I am sorry for the noise disturbances you experienced from neighboring guests during your stay. As well, I apologize that the layout of your fully equipped kitchen did not meet your needs. We continually work to improve our hotel so we really appreciate your feedback. We hope that you will stay at our hotel, or any of our other brand locations in the future.

Reviewed 28 April 2014

Yes, it has full kitchen, etc. for a long stay but we were only staying for one night. The bed was uncomfortable and the room was noisy with people walking upstairs all night, loud fridge and loud heater/cooler in the room. There are hardly any amenities in the room such as shampoo. Very cheap quality sheets, towels, kleenex, etc.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

Mariann - I appreciate you taking the time to write a review of our hotel. I apologize that you found your room to be uncomfortable and noisy during your stay with us. As well, I am sorry for the noise disturbances you encountered from your refrigerator and heater. Your comments will be very useful as we continue to improve our hotel. Thank you for bringing these issues to our attention. Please know that toiletries, including shampoo, are available upon request at the front desk, should you need them in the future. Thank you again for your comments. We hope to have the opportunity to provide you with a better experience in the future.

Reviewed 26 April 2014

I've stayed here before. I enjoyed it then and this visit was no change. Very good check-in service. The internet service was good. The room was on the large size and it was very clean. It's a basic room, nothing fancy so if you need bling this is not a place for you. But it sure works for me. And the best part is the price is very reasonable.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 April 2014

"Breakfast" is these horrible pre packaged muffins that will probably kill any diabetic who eats one. "Dishes" are the cr@ppiest excuse for cookware I have ever seen. I put half a stick of butter and stirred the whole time and the eggs STILL stuck to the pan! Not just a little, a whole layer of egg glued to the bottom! They don't even have conditioner available! What the heck?! Are they so cheap that they can't even provide conditioner? I wouldn't stay here again even if someone paid me to.

• Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank Darian N

Darian - Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel. I'm sorry that our grab-and-go breakfast did not meet your expectations. Your comments will be helpful as we continue to improve our breakfast offering. As well, I apologize that you were not pleased with the dishes provided in your kitchen and our lack of conditioner. We continually work to improve our hotel, so we really appreciate you bringing these issues to our attention. We hope to have the opportunity to provide you with a better experience in the future.

Reviewed 25 November 2013

My son and I just finished our second ski trip to Lake Tahoe. Although we stayed here for just one night, I can imagine that the full kitchen and the big fridge will be great for a long stay-over. The facility is pretty new and in great shape. The grab and go breakfast is almost non-exist, but for $47/night, this is the best value you can get.

Room Tip: I booked through Priceline