“Not bad but slow drink service”
Review of Genghis Grill

Genghis Grill
Ranked #521 of 927 Restaurants in Reno
Reno, NV
“Not bad but slow drink service”
Reviewed 2 July 2014

We've eaten here at least a dozen times since my kids love Mongolian barbeque and the food is actually quite good, even considering that you select most of the ingredients yourself. I always order the udan noodles as a starch and there have been times, maybe they're running low on the noodles, when you have to search for them. Sometimes the place can be noisy but not too bad and the tables are a little too close together but that's ok. What really annoys me is the incredibly slow service when you order beers. The beer selection is always changing for reasons that I don't understand but somehow or another the service staff thinks that beers might be an after dinner drink. Once I can forgive but nearly every time we're there we order drinks as we sit down along with an appetizer which comes almost immediately, eat that and then do the line and wait for the meal to be cooked. Sometimes the beers come when we're up but I'm used to asking for them when they bring the bowls. Then another short wait and we get them. I don't understand the problem. You'd think they'd want to bring them immediately and we might then order another round.

• Visited July 2014

“Great Mongolian Grill”
Reviewed 16 May 2014

If you like this type of restaurant, you gotta go. Variety, Quality, Fresh. Well worth going to. Don't forget to top of your meal with a fried egg :-)

Visited December 2013
“Genghis”
Reviewed 18 April 2014 credit card Amex Cardmember Review

I really like the food, but the prices are getting crazy. On top of this the local store is now giving three or four bowl options to increase profits even more. I know the restaurant industry is hard to make a profit. But I don't see Genghis having any problems turning a profit. Overpriced for the fare.

Visited April 2014
3 Thank Patrick P
Washoe Valley
“Filling and fun!”
Reviewed 26 December 2013

It is amazing how much food one can fit into a little round bowl. Getting to choose exactly what you want to eat in a "Chinese" food style restaurant is great. Choose what you want from chicken, beef, seafood, vegetables, condiments and sauces and have it grilled quickly and brought you to your table! I love the ginger citrus while my husband prefers the sirloin and spicy... Not fine-dining by any stretch of the imagination, but worth the time for a quick, tasty meal.

Visited December 2013
1 Thank Charlayne C
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Better to eat at home”
Reviewed 1 September 2013

This was the first time we've eaten here, so my husband and I were going to share one bowl. The visit didn't start off well when the waiter read me the riot act about sharing a bowl as if we were trying to get away with something. So I felt obligated to order an appetizer as well even though I didn't really want that much food.
He then took me over to all the raw ingredients (including raw meat that looks just nasty sitting there) which were set up buffet style and showed me recipe cards I could follow if I wanted. Well, if I wanted to follow a recipe or figure out what food goes well with other food and how to season it, I'd save money, stay home and cook it myself. I go out to eat so I don't have to do those things, as figuring out how to season meat leaves me in a complete state of panic, which is why I love making salads... I ended up putting something together that was edible, but I was so stressed about what they heck I was doing, I was not hungry by the time the food came to the table.
I was also put off by the fact that there were several signs to tip both the servers and the "Grill Masters". Not quite sure why when the patrons "get" to put the ingredients together themselves. I would NOT recommend Genghis Grill to a friend, I'd tell them to eat at home instead and save themselves some money.

• Visited August 2013

Been to Genghis Grill? Share your experiences!