“Bring a good appetite!”

Cuisines: French, Central European, International
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Home Style
Cross street: Evans Street
Transit: Located kitty-corner from the main downtown bus station.
Description: Welcome To Louis" Basque Corner, home of the famous Picon Punch! Dinners served family-style with authentic specialties such as chicken and tongue Basquaise, oxtails, tripas callos, lamb chops, New York steak and many daily specials. Fish served daily. Banquet facilities hold up to 125 people. Located east of the Bowling Stadium and the downtown Events Center. Free Parking!
Reviewed 31 May 2014

There are several good Basque restaurants in northern Nevada. The best are in the Carson Valley area with its history of sheep raising. But Louis' is no slouch. It is a traditional Basque meal where all dishes are put on the table family style, where second helpings are no problem, where one eats until one is full.

Our meal begins with a choice of entree—lamb, of course, but also three different beef steaks, pork, shrimp, chicken, even sweetbreads! The entree determines only your price and main meat and the rest of the meal arrives with gusto.

You begin with a carafe of house wine, and for a larger group, refills are cheerfully given. Then comes a large platter for french bread followed by the soup (split pea on my night) with all you can eat; next a large tossed salad; then french fried zucchini; then delicious baked beans; then a plate of tongue and pickled vegetables and peppers; finally your main entree arrives (you might be already full!); I had the nightly special, medallions of pork loin, with a delicious tangy sauce; and finally, a small bowl of ice cream to round off the meal.

All of this for around $30.00. It's all good. It's all fun. It's a new experience for many diners. I don't know how I missed this place in the past. I won't in the future.

2  Thank OmarKhayyam

Reviewed 9 May 2014

I needed a Basque food fix so when I was in Reno I headed to Louis Basque Corner. If anything it was better than my previous visits. Every course held its own and the oxtails bourguignon and leg of lamb were superb. Couldn't pass up a picon punch either. I met a varied group of folks during my meal which made for a great time. Given the quality of the food and quantity served, the $24 tab for dinner was a bargain.

1  Thank GoldenBear72
Reviewed 27 April 2014

Louis has changed owners. The new guys have done a great job keeping the traditional Basque family style seating and service. Each time we go we have met interesting people. The food is very good and the bar is friendly. This is a good family destination in a poor part of town.

Reviewed 19 April 2014

This basque restaurant seats family style. My partner had leg of lamb and I had sauteed sweetbreads. The meal came with split pea soup, salad, beans, red wine & bread. We had lunch just after 11 and were seated with a very gregarious, articulate truck driver from Utah. We had a blast and enjoyed our meal.

Reviewed 4 March 2014

Had a family get together with kids and a hungry crowd - thought of Louis Basque Corner and their family style meals. The meat was cooked perfectly - I recommend the steaks and lamb chops.

Been to Louis' Basque Corner? Share your experiences!