“Not so great start, but.....”

Airport Plaza Hotel
Ranked #14 of 64 Hotels in Reno
Reviewed 10 July 2014

Got to hotel around 1pm and checked at desk to see if our party of 4 could check in earlier than the 2pm check in time, just in case. We were told no. We were the first ones in the lobby. We waited in lobby until 2:05pm and the desk clerk was talking to others that had come in. He finally came over to us and said it would be 2:15pm to check in and that he "would let us know." We thought that meant he would signal us or call us over to check in when the rooms were ready. At 2:30pm the people in the lobby closer to the desk all lined up and were checking in. He never came over or signaled us to check in. I walked up to the desk clerk and said, "We are just supposed to get in back of this line now?" He said, "Yes". I was mad. I told him, "YOU told us you would tell us!" He just answered "ok". I said, "No sorry?" He then said, "Ok, sorry." GRRRR. The people in line all said we could go ahead but we declined and let them all go ahead of us. When it was our turn to check in I retold the clerk he said he would tell us. He apologized the right way this time and gave us each a free breakfast. That was a nice gesture and fitting.
We got to our room and it smelled. It was a combination of prior smokers from night before and a dank dampness smell. I flagged down a maid to ask to her to spray the room. She didn’t know what I was saying so I showed her spray bottle on cart and took it and sprayed the room myself. The stuff works! Next the A/C wasn’t really working properly even with the room key in slot on wall switch to keep it on. When our friends went to the lobby the clerk then told them they would shuttle us a mile to Grand Sierra and back for free as another nice gesture. They really went up and beyond to make us happy. On the way out to the Grand Sierra we mentioned the A/C. When we got back to our room later on the room was well chilled and A/C worked perfectly. I would definitely stay here again and wished I had gotten the clerk’s name.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
There are newer reviews for Airport Plaza Hotel

Reviewed 6 July 2014

This hotel is by far on the top of my list for Best Western and I travel a lot with my wife. We do not mind paying extra if the service and staff are fantastic and this hotel provides service at the highest level. Everyone if your ever in Reno, Nevada stay here you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 July 2014

Convenient if you are flying out or into Reno. Clean and friendly staff. Bar/Lounge serves good burgers and beer and the staff if very helpful. This is my second stay here and because of the location I would stay again if flying.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank tex44
Reviewed 4 July 2014

We wanted to stay away from the noise and activity of the large hotel casinos in downtown Reno and we hit the jackpot! Quite, clean, great service and a good on-site restaurant. Only about 5 miles from downtown, we experienced all the entertainment and fun on the 4th of July weekend and had a quiet haven to return to at the end of the day. There is a spa with a hot tub and sauna as well as a few aerobic machines. The rooms have small refrigerators and a microwave. They are spacious, clean and comfortable. Parking is secure and close to our room. Great stay!

Room Tip: Ask for a courtyard room to avoid road noise.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Timothy H
Reviewed 3 July 2014

Very large and clean rooms. Service was terrific and the shuttle on demand to the airport made it very convenient. I would stay here again. We did not have breakfast due to a very early flight out and the beds could be a tad more comfortable but this was a great choice.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 July 2014

The hotel has many amenities that will help one to relax, Excellent service to the cafe/bar. These are several reasons why i have stayed at this facility on multiple occasions. This hotel is in close proximity to any of the local attractions. perfect place to get away.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Daryle B
Reviewed 29 June 2014

pleasant experience every time. nice change away from the casinos and cigarette smoke. linen always smells fresh. excellent business center. the staff is always helpful and courteous. I did not have the opportunity to eat in the restaurant. lounge area was comfortable.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business