“Beautiful Room and Great Hospitality”

Grand Sierra Resort and Casino
Ranked #7 of 62 Hotels in Reno
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 8 January 2014

My wife and i stayed 3 nights at the Grand Sierra for New Year's, and had a wonderful time. The room was very spacious, obviously had been recently remodeled, and the bed was VERY COMFORTABLE. We will be back SOON!!!

Room Tip: Our room looked out onto the Reno-Tahoe Airport, but the soundproofing was really good -- we never h...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
GrandSierra_Manager, Manager at Grand Sierra Resort and Casino, responded to this reviewResponded 9 January 2014

Thank you for posting your review to TripAdvisor. We are happy to learn that you and your wife had an exceptional resort experience at Grand Sierra Resort and Casino. Please stay with us again soon.

Write a ReviewReviews (14,512)

Reviewed 7 January 2014

had a real good time !! all-around fun we danced, bowled, kid used fun center, golfed and danced at golf lake at night :) ! stayed there quite a lot and at all times it been top of the line !! air port right there and all you would need to have a safe and fun time !

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank HappyAlta

Thank you for sharing your experience at GSR with TripAdvisor. It sounds like you got to experience many of our great amenities. We look forward to serving you as our guest again.

Reviewed 6 January 2014

This was a very nice hotel at a great price! Our room was clean and roomy. The resort has restaurants, shopping, a movie theater, gym, spa, and many other things to do aside from gambling. We will definitely stay again when we are in Reno!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family

Hello, thanks for posting your review of Grand Sierra Resort and Casino. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed many of our great amenities, and that your experience was a positive one. We hope you stay with us again soon.

Reviewed 4 January 2014

I stayed at the Grand sierra for three nights checking in on New Years Eve with my boyfriend and two bestfriends. It was super busy obviously, yet the front desk was super friendly and able to upgrade us. We had a conciege room on the 27th floor. Supposedly the 25th floor and up is for the 21 plus crowd, however on our trip we had children running down the hall. We later found out when its super busy they allow children. You also have to use your room key in the elevator to access the floor, but it was such a pain! It would only work half of the time, talk about annoying.The rooms were nice and clean. Marble bathrooms are nice as well. Huge shower ;) but sadly no tub which means no bubble bath and wine :(

The New Years Brunch buffet was SO GOOD! I was seriously shocked! Beyond my expectations for a casino buffet. Wait staff was friendly as well. We also ate at Briscola which was delicious. Unfortunately, being that it was New Years Eve the waitress forgot my bf's drink as well as one of our entrees. Whatever, it happens.. Johnny Rockets is good if you're looking for a yummy burger and shake. We tried the buffet for dinner again, still pretty good, service was definately lacking.

If traveling with children this place is great. Bounce houses, huge arcade, lazer tag, bowling, mini golf, lots of activites. The lazer tag is so much fun ^-^ The casino area is pretty big. Variety of machines. HOT girl dealers that also dance at night in the casino! FUN!!!

The biggest issues i had on this trip were the inconsistancy of hours for restaurants and activities. The cantina sign was posted open from 11- to whatever time, unfortunately the sign was lying as they were not open. We went out to the golf driving range after being told they were open until midnight. When we got there at 10 they were closing. Lame! I was also really bummed with the pool not being open. I dont care if it's snowing, yes i will be out there in a bikini swimming.

All in all it wasnt a bad stay. I normally stay at the Peppermill, but who knows. Maybe i'll return, maybe not.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
GrandSierra_Manager, Manager at Grand Sierra Resort and Casino, responded to this reviewResponded 8 January 2014

Hello, thank you for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor regarding your recent experience at the Grand Sierra Resort we are happy to hear that you and your friends had a pleasant stay with us. We strive to create the best possible experience for all of our guests. We apologize for any inconvenience that you may have had. Please visit us again soon.

Reviewed 2 January 2014

We stayed their Chrismas week to be near family and did not want to stay in the smoky downtown hotels. Checked in at 9:30 on a Wednesday eve but all hotel retaurants closed other than coffee shop. Rate quoted included breakfast but the confirmation did not include it so when checked in they would not honor the room with breakfast included. The lobby and common areas are beautiful and have been redone, but our oversized room's remodeling basically included new plumbing fixtures in the bathroom. Toiletries in the bathroom were on par if purchased from a 99 cent store and towel thickness was on par with a budget accomodation. If you are planning on a luxury vacation this is not the place but if you just want a budget motel next to the airport with a casino then this hotel is fine as long as the price is right!

1  Thank ericsdad
GrandSierra_Manager, Manager at Grand Sierra Resort and Casino, responded to this reviewResponded 3 January 2014

Thanks for sharing your experience with us. We strive to create the best possible resort experience for all of our guests. We’re disappointed to hear this was not the case for you. We’d like to discuss this occurrence with you further, please email us at social@grandsierraresort.com.

Reviewed 2 January 2014

I recently visited the Grand Sierra Resort in Reno, Nevada because I wanted to spend time away with my daughter during school Winter break. I would like to say that it was an interesting stay. First, let me began by commenting on the front desk staff. They were definitely not very warm and pleasant. The lady and the gentleman were straight forward and to the point; even a little rude. Since this was my first stay at the resort, I am going to contribute this factor to the way in which I was communicated with. I noticed the large volume of Asians and others checking in and it seem to be a more welcome reception. The next thing I am going to comment on is the price list in the room. I was almost afraid to touch anything because of fear that I was going to be charged an additional cost for a towel that the limited english speakers placed in the room. Yes, this was an interesting stay. It is children friendly and clean but they need to work on human relations skills. Please keep in mind, not everyone comes to gamble!

Room Tip: Please ensure that you verify your room choice. It was my understanding during my online reservatio...
2  Thank MinnieMe2014

Hi, thank you for posting to TripAdvisor. We apologize that you did not receive the best service possible when you stayed at Grand Sierra Resort and Casino. We'd like to discuss these matters with you further, please email us at social@grandsierraresort.com.

Reviewed 2 January 2014

We come to Reno a lot and normally stay at another hotel, but decided to give the Grand Sierra a try and so far I am not impressed at all. Let's start with the positives:

Large selection of restaurants
Friendly employees at check in
An awesome keno runner in the cafe
The bed is comfy

Negatives:

While the room had modern furniture the room displays a lot of wear and tear for a concierge suite

We ordered drinks twice in the casino and waited forever but they never came

Our air conditioning doesn't seem to be working so we called guest services and they were supposed to call engineering but we waited almost an hour and we needed to go to sleep so we cancelled the call, guest services didn't even try to make it better. Again, not what I expect from a concierge level room.

No extra pillows, but I didn't want to call housekeeping as I had a feeling it would take forever to get the pillows.

I am only on my first night here and the hotel is not busy enough to justify the lack of service on the casino floor and from the hotel staff to fulfill guest requests, but I am just getting the feeling that the guests comfort is not a priority. Also, if your cocktail servers are not going to bring drinks in somewhat of a timely fashion they shouldn't bother taking orders. One thing I know for certain I am not impressed with this hotel at all. This is my first and most likely my last stay here.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Michelle T
GrandSierra_Manager, Manager at Grand Sierra Resort and Casino, responded to this reviewResponded 2 January 2014

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your recent stay at the Grand Sierra Resort. We're pleased that you enjoyed some aspects of your stay. However, we're disappointed that we didn’t exceed your expectations. We would like an opportunity to discuss this with you. At your convenience, you may contact us at social@grandsierraresort.com. We look forward to hearing from you soon.