Circus Circus Hotel and Casino-Reno
Ranked #13 of 64 Hotels in Reno
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 7 June 2012

Checking in was pleasant, although I had a hard time understanding the lady's accent. I've stayed here many times so I am used to the parking garages, etc. A newby might be confused. The room was clean and functional; I don't care if the style is out of date; I just want to sleep there. The room was just fine for that. WiFi is a pain. You have to sign in and give them a credit card number for the $2 charge. I'd rather just have it on my bill instead of finding my card number, expire date, etc. Seems like it could just be included with the room. Had a wonderful prime rib dinner at the steak house; food and service was excellent. Not so with the buffet in the morning. Seems like it used to be really good, but everything I tried was mediocre at best. This is where I have always stayed in Reno in the last few decades, but I think I will try another hotel next trip.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank edmicheli

Reviewed 31 May 2012

Noisy and agitating, the slot machines are as unavoidable as the coconut-scented air freshener engulfing the lobby. Aging and dilapidated rooms. Uninspired buffet. Luckily you can walk to a couple of decent diners (Little Nugget is one).

There are better choices in Reno for the same money--we much preferred Grand Sierra Resort.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Spark_Boston
Reviewed 29 May 2012

I stayed mid week for $39 and got upgraded upon check in. I have to say that I did have great service and was treated well. However, the hotel itself, like Reno in general, needs a serious cash infusion that probably isn't soon coming. Reno is not Vegas. Not even downtown Vegas. Other than the Silver Legacy, Reno always seems like time has stood still for it since about 1975, and no matter how much lipstick they try to put on her, she is what she is, old and tired. Circus Circus fits right in. Rooms and furnishings are old. No flat screen T.V., cheap beds and furnishings, and while clean, everything was just old with an institutional antiseptic smell. That being said, I did pay $39, and got upgraded. You have to give it up for that and it certainly pushes it from a two dot to a three.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank Anonymous925
Reviewed 29 May 2012

I was in town this weekend for the Jam On It basketball tournament. This is our third year participating in this tournament and first time staying at this hotel.

Parking (grade A)
A plus for this hotel was the covered parking structures. Your car being protected from the elements is a good thing. The first garage on your approach from Hwy 80 seems to be newer and laid out a little better and a lot more spacious than the other garage that sits under the Sky Tower.

Registration/Checkout (grade C)
To put it plainly--slow. This tournament has gotten bigger each of the years we've attended. You would think these hotels would provide more staffing to cover the number of folks checking in/out of their resort. I will say the staff I dealt with were very nice. They just needed more of them to move the mass amounts of people.

Casino (grade ???)
I don't gamble so I can't really place a grade on that. BUT, the big plus about this hotel is that guest ARE NOT forced through the casino in order to get to their room. That's a big plus in my book since I don't gamble. I also don't like the smell of smoke, and I have kids and I don't want them having to walk through casinos just to get to a hotel room (Vegas is really bad about that).

Hotel room (grade C)
We stayed in the Sky Tower (the tower furthest away). This tower had no slots or any gambling machines which was perfect. The hotel room was clean. We requested a non-smoking room and fortunately got one. No smoke smell in our room. The room decor was DEFINITELY dated. I love bathrooms but this bathroom definitely needed an overhaul: peeling wallpaper, mold around bath tube, clogged bath drain. The beds were comfortable. The spreads, curtains, and carpet needed to be changed to something more up-to-date. The television was old and would not accept any HDMI connections so we couldn't connect any of our game consoles or tablet devices to this TV set.

We could have paid an extra $10/night to get into the other wing that was newly renovated. WAIT--the renovation that was described to me was, new curtains and bed spreads. $10 extra night for a room with new bed spreads? Didn't seem worth it to me if everything else was the same.

Elevators (grade C)
This resort hotel and the others I've stayed all have the same problem trying to handle SO many people at the same time. You would think they would have thought about this when the structure was built. When you have over 1900 rooms, you need a lot of elevators to move the mass of people. It shouldn't take 30 mins to get an elevator. This of course was more problematic in the evening hours and late mornings.

Pool (n/a)
We didn't going swimming and honestly don't know if this resort has a swimming pool. I assume they do have one, I just didn't see any signs in the Sky Tower to show where the pool might be located. Maybe it was in the other wing???

Dining (grade n/a)
There were dining options in the Midway area and the other areas as you walk between resorts. We did not eat in this resort. However. there didn't seem to be a good option for kids to go eat something in this hotel. fyi...Grand Sierra has a Round Table pizza in their resort.

Kids recreation--Midway arcade (grade C)
There is a large arcade that is geared towards the kids. It's like a carnival in this area where kids can play games and try to win stuffed animals. The price of the games were very reasonable ($1/per game average). They even had a short show for the kids to watch which was really nice. The bad part about this arcade is that it sat above the casino and all the smoke from the casino of course rose up into the arcade. We all had bad headaches by the time we left that area.

Will I stay here again?
Maybe. It definitely won't be my first choice for resorts the next time I visit Reno.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank awdang_99
Reviewed 28 May 2012 via mobile

I got there had to wait on line for the elevator for 15 minutes only had 2 working in the sky tower! I got to my room and the bath room wasn't even cleaned. You can hear the people in the room next to you flushing their toilet, to say the least paper thin walls. I will go to boomtowm before I ever go back there.

• Stayed: June 2011
1  Thank monicagillen
Reviewed 24 May 2012

I visited Reno for a national bowling tournament recently and decided to stay @ the Circus Circus. Bad Idea!!! First off when we were booked to a room and we got to that room on the 18th floor we were then surprised by being booked into a room where there was already a family. Once relocated to another floor and room with nothing said about the confusion we were then stuck next to a room full of children/teens up at all times extremely loud. These 4 days didnt go by fast i'll asure you this! If you have children and want to be close to the circus that's great however if you are there not for that reason I suggest either the Silver Legacy or El Dorado! I'ver stayed there and they are excellent!

Room Tip: Great for children,not as a business deal!
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Elizabeth M
Reviewed 12 May 2012

The hotel was nice-clean-friendly service but the thing that stood out the most was that we were called about the fact that we left our laptop behind-before we even knew it was missing! The extremely kind and helpful manager asked our address and shipped it free of charge to our home. What? Honesty?? Still alive and well in Reno NV at Circus Circus! Thank you so much!!

Room Tip: Tower rooms are less!
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business