“Nice Staff, good buffet, but ...”

Circus Circus Hotel and Casino-Reno
Ranked #14 of 64 Hotels in Reno
GreenLeadersBronze level
Whidbey Island, Washington
“Nice Staff, good buffet, but ...”
Reviewed 19 September 2010

We stayed at Circus Circus in Reno on September 14, 2010, en route to visiting parents in Arizona. All staff persons we interacted with were pleasant and helpful. We had a nice room, although somewhat far away from the parking and reachable by a monorail-type tram car. Our visit was fine, but I note two bothersome elements.

(1) The mandatory so-called "resort fee." This is added to your room rate after booking, and supposedly includes wifi, parking, and shuttle to the airport. You have to pay this whether you need those services, or not. No way is this place a resort, in that there is no swimming pool or spa available. Why not just raise the room rate a bit and make the price all-inclusive? That would be less annoying.

(2) Instead of a glass coffee carafe and real coffee cups, there are styrofoam cups in the bathroom and little plastic one-use coffee brewing baskets. Horrendous additional load on the landfills -- plastic thrown out for every single cup of coffee brewed! I would like to see this hotel, and others, make greater attempts at green behavior.

Otherwise, a nice experience and as stated, friendly staff and a tasty buffet.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 3Islanders

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (493)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
Vancouver, Washington
Reviewed 3 September 2010

Check in was quick no hassle, got the room with 2 beds non smoking as requested. Someone was smoking in an adjacent room and we could smell it. Security at the hotel was great. The rooms were very clean, beds were soft, and we had a great view of the city. We ate at the buffet the first night, the second night we wanted the buffet again but it was closed. The only restaurant open was Gecko's BBQ. We decided to eat pizza at Brew Brothers at the Eldorado and it was delicious. Nice area in Reno, I would stay here again

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank timefinder
Modesto, California
Reviewed 28 August 2010

I have stayed in a few hotels in Reno and I have to say that so far Circus Circus is the best. The silver legacy is okay but the bathroom sucks! at circus circus the bathroom is very large (big enough for a few people to get ready at the same time) the rooms are average with a decent view of the strip. I have stayed there many times and will most likely stay again.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
San Francisco
Reviewed 27 August 2010

This is an older hotel that has been kept up very well. The rooms are very spacious and clean. The TV's need updating but everything else in the room was good. The beds are soft and comfortable. The internet in the rooms worked great and ran fast. The staff at his hotel are friendly and accomodating. The location is great as the hotel is connected with two other resorts so there are lots of dining and entertainment options. I will definately be back!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank wacchampions
Grass Valley, CA
Reviewed 21 August 2010

Went for 2 nites over 1st weekend of Hot August Nights. I had notifed them I was disabled, but still got a room in the newer Sky Tower, which was a monorail ride away and was at the end of the hall. Bad idea. Check-in lines were over 45 min. long, with no accomodations for the disabled. I was able to arrange for a different room in the North Tower, but had to pay a $20/nite premium for a room above the 8th floor. Loved the view of the parking garage...well worth $40 extra. haha. Only. Not.
I unfortunately left my primary handbag (I use a smaller one in the casino for convenience) in the drawer of the nightstand when we left. I called when we got home and security did have the purse -- a Calif. driver's license and assorted credit cards were in my wallet. Yet they didn't even attempt to contact me to let me know they had my bag. The best part? I had $240 in that wallet, which magically disappeared somehow. I eventually spoke to a risk management person who said, after their investigation had proved inconclusive, that she would comp me 2 nites at the hotel. Fat Chance. That doesn't buy groceries. So I spoke to her boss. Basically, after he rattled off his pre-written, memorized spiel, I was told I was out of luck. Too bad, Lady. We are Not Responsible. The bag had been mailed back to me - and I had received it before speaking to him. As I told him, everything in my wallet was topsy-turvy. Credit cards were scattered all over in different places, my check-cashing card was underneath my driver's license (where I never put it), but all my coins were still in the right place. Yippee. Someone had obviously rifled through my wallet. And had swiped the 2 $100 bills and the $20 bills. But all the employees were innocent? I suggested to the risk management guy that, if I wanted to intentionally rip off the hotel for theft, I would have claimed there was a much larger sum of money stolen. I just wanted my $240, so I could pay my bills. I'm on a fixed disability income, and that $240 is no small part of my monthly budget. His concern was as fake as it gets.
Do not ever stay here. They don't care about you. They only want your money -- however they can get it.
Another thing: the hotel is old and dark and dingy. They've made attempts at updating, but it's like putting lipstick on a water buffalo.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
4 Thank scrabblegoddess
Utah
Reviewed 14 August 2010

We stayed on a monday night and paid under $40.00 for a clean nice room. You can not beat that.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
Missouri
Reviewed 12 August 2010

We have stayed here all but two times that we have been toReno. We go every time there is a National Bowling tournament. When we go there this year, May 2 - May 5, we were surprised when they moved our whole group to the main tower so we could be together. We had 15 rooms and they made sure we were close to each other. We stayed in a Suite this year for about $5.00 more than a normal room and it was nice to have a mini fridge in it. Check in and Check out were easy. The only bad thing was you had to pay for internet. We just did not use it.
I would recommend this hotel to anyone. We will be staying here again from May 8 - 12, 2011 for another tournament.

• Stayed May 2010