“cockraoches and trash”
Review of El Cortez Hotel

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Reno
El Cortez Hotel
Ranked #55 of 64 Hotels in Reno
Bishop, California
“cockraoches and trash”
Reviewed 9 April 2014

The hotel clerk was not the most friendly . But not rude. The elovater doesn't work great. As soon as I got to my room. There were beer bottles under the bed a long with nasty foil. There were cockroaches crawling on the walls and on the bed. There was no microwave in the entire hotel, but yet they sold food that had to be microwaved. If I were you. Don't go here. It's gross. And it's not worth 50 bucks. You have been warned. Unless you enjoy that nasty mess of a hotel room. Go for it.

Room Tip: A good tip. Don't go here!!!
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank RikkiLea K

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Milwaukie, Oregon
Reviewed 12 November 2011

stayed off and on early 2010. they have 21 dollar rooms available sometimes. some rooms have bed bugs (408) all rooms have roaches. they actually give you clean bedding and bedspreads (even expensive casino hotels often dont do that (i ve been a maid). but if you have mud on your hand and get it on the wall of the bathroom and check back in in a month ITS STILL THERE. black mold in some showers.
the desk people are sometimes not the nicest people in the world. i've been made to sit in the lobby with all my possessions while they took an hour to figure out we were paid up another day.
harm never came to me there in the ten years of off and on staying there. (excepting the bed bugs we found in two of our rooms).
its cheap. the sands is cheaper.

Room Tip: do not stay in 408. bed bugs hide behind the head board and in the dresser
  • Stayed February 2011, travelled with friends
9 Thank travelinggal125

Travellers are raving about these Reno hotels

Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 2 January 2011

I’m a student in photography and I happen to travel all over the US to take pictures of US Cities. I can’t afford great hotels, and if you are reading this I suppose that you are in the same condition if you are looking at the review of El Cortez. I stayed there during the Hot August Nights, back in August of 2010. I was only looking for a place where I could spend the night, and I was out most of the day.

I paid around $30 a day, and for that price I was satisfied of what I got. The bed was clean; I didn’t catch any skin disease. The bathroom was old but in a relatively good state, and it was clean too. I had a window AC unit, which sort of worked but took a long time to cool down the place. A window was cracked, but it was alright; I didn’t dare opening the windows to much lest it would fall off, but I’m sure it was only an impression. The TV had basic cable, but the room had not Internet. Keep in mind that people working there won’t treat you as if you were Jesus rising from the dead, but for the price it is not surprising, and the service is correct, although I found the person at the counter not very talkative. The elevator scared me at first and I sort of freaked when the doors didn’t open for something like 30 seconds. There is a library above the lobby, and you can take books there to read in your room for free.

If you compare what you have for the price, I think it is a good deal. If you’re a student or someone traveling and don’t mind about those little details, your stay will be good Weekly rates are also available.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled solo
4 Thank VX-2000
Reno, NV
Reviewed 11 October 2009

Tonight I called the front desk to ask simple information and was greeted rudely by the front desk person. Apparently the hotel cannot transfer my call to the bar. My room was ill-equipped with a notepad or pen and the front desk person was too impatient to repeat the phone number a second time. After asking for the supervisor, the front desk person informed me that he was the only person on staff. This facility is extremely unprofessional and while the rooms were acceptable (not great), the customer service is about the worst I've ever had. To be fair, it could just be tonight's (October 10, 2009 at 9:15 PM) staff, but I would certainly not recommend this hotel, especially with the vast selection in Reno, NV.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled on business
5 Thank trudeaue
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 15 November 2003

I have stayed at the El Cortez many many times and I love it.It is older,but very clean and nice.But if you want all the luxeries of life it is not a place to stay.I always return as it has character and class.The elevator alone is an adventure by itself.I have stayed at Circus Circus and others,but I always returnto E C.The staff is curtious,friendly.The hotel never changes and I love it.It is alot of fun for those who want to go to Reno but can't afford to stay in the other hotels..If it wasn't for the El Cortez I would never of been able to see the Biggest Little City in the World.Hoorah El Cortez!!!! Hope to be able to visit again soon as it has been awhile.

22 Thank A TripAdvisor Member