“It's ok, not great, not bad.”

Silver Legacy Resort and Casino
Ranked #9 of 64 Hotels in Reno
San Francisco, California
“It's ok, not great, not bad.”
Reviewed 20 June 2011

I stayed at Silver Legacy recently. I go to Reno to gamble some on somewhat a regular basis. I've stayed at a lot of the big casinos in the Reno area. I hadn't stayed at Silver Legacy in quite awhile. The checking in was ok. The person who checked me in at first unrefined looking was actually very attentive and listened to what I was concerned about in regards to just needing a quiet room and such and picked a good room for me. I tipped him later after seeing my room by the way. The elevator to the higher floors on a different bank was actually pretty darn quick. You have to show your key to enter elevator area.

The rooms were supposedly just remodeled. It was nothing special but decent. The bathroom was very basic. The toilet and shower were in a separate room from the sink area. The television was a pretty good size LCD screen. I can't comment on the quality as I didn't know there was a problem with the television until I tried to check out. Internet usage for one wireless device came with the $6 resort fee you pay when you get your room. The speed was pretty decent. The bed was actually pretty good for a room like that. It was very comfortable and I slept well on it.

One of the problems I used to have in Reno downtown was the trains coming by but there was work done to drown the noise of the trains with these tunnels. I heard a couple of trains while I was awake, but was not awaken by them. Just a heads up for real light sleepers, which I used to be. I totally dislike the self parking garage here. It's tight windy and deep. Most downtown self parking structures in Reno though suck, but I really don't like Silver Legacy's. There were a lot of vintage cars taking up most of the first 4 levels when I was there. The elevators for the parking structure are not so good as the hotel room elevators. Getting to the elevators to get to your rooms is a bit of a jaunt from casino area.

Overall for a downtown Reno casino, it was decent. I didn't eat any food there. The casino was actually busy even early morning which was almost too busy for the amount of tables they had open.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank KCMontero

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (567)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Mohave Valley, AZ
Reviewed 14 June 2011

This was our 7th stay over the years at the Silver Legacy (SL). Our most recent trip (June 2011) only solidified our choice of hotels in Reno.

All of SL's rooms have been upgraded over the past year and our room was certainly clean and comfortable. We were also accomodated with a late (2pm) checkout at no additional charge. From check in to check out staff was friendly and courteous.

We patronized the Sedona Cafe and Sterling's Restaurant on our visit. Sterling's is the place to go in Reno for fine dining and great food. Morgan, our waiter, was accomodating to all our requests and the food was served quickly, as ordered, and there was plenty of it. The same can be said for the 24 hour Cafe Sedona. The food was good and they did not skimp on the portions. The only drawback seemed that the waitstaff was spread to thin. Service could sometimes be spotty but you could not complain about the food, again, always good and always plenty.

Yes we did a little gambling as well. As residents of a township very close to a casino town ourselves, we were disappointed with the slots and video poker. We do not mind losing a few hundred over our stay, but it seemed that the few hundred did not last quite as long as it does locally. I don't mind losing the money, I'd just like it to go a little slower!

We caught a show at Catch a Rising Star and that was funny, it was also inexpensive. We bought a special $20.50 ticket which provided us with a $10.00 food comp at Cafe Sedona.

We have tried other hotels in Reno over the years but we always come back to SL. We think the rooms could be a little less expensive (since you are probably going to gamble anyway) but we have not found another hotel in the area with the staff and service that SL offers.

Room Tip: Ask for Senior Discount
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Donandtre
Lompoc, California
Reviewed 14 June 2011

We are in Reno for a MG car ralley, so decided to stay at the Silver Legacy since the event was held there and past reviews were good. This hotel was renovated winter 2010. We had a room on the 11th floor. Hotel is on separate ventelation system form the casino, so room was truely smoke free. All appointments were top notch...flat screen t.v, large mirrored warderobe, nice linens. On the negative...no coffee making, frig or microwave in room. Makes a long trip to lobby to wait on long line for coffee in morning. We would stay here again. Got room on special offer of $80 so was a very good value. Pool area very minimual and small. Pool was not in order for our stay...disappointing for us.

1 Thank seawife2
Battle Ground, Washington
Reviewed 13 June 2011

The check in was fast, the room was clean. A good value for the price. Since there is a resort fee everyday was glad the spa/gym was no extra charge. Wasn't able to utilize the pool as it rained during our stay. Staff was courteous from check in to valet. Sterling's Steak house was exceptional, our meal was excellent and their cheesecake was by far the best I've ever had. I would avoid Cafe Sedona however, below average food and mediocre service. The buffet was closed during our stay.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank LSN2001
Augusta, Georgia
Reviewed 13 June 2011

We spend just one day at the Silver Legacy and left with mixed feelings about the place. We don't gamble much. Rather, we needed a room to crash before an early flight out of Reno. In brief, the Casino and the service are very good. The hotel, on the other hand is mostly a dump.

Our experience with the Silver Legacy started well. We arrived around 11:30 am, checked our luggage with the bell desk and were asked to wait till 1:30 for a room. Fair enough. Staff was very attentive and helpful. We strolled around and wondered to the Circus Circuis. For a quick lunch we stopped by the Courtyard Buffet and watch with astonishment masses of morbidly obese stuffing themselves with fried chicken and deserts. Fresh salad and fruit stand was well stocked and mostly overlooked by the crowd. Better for us.

We returned to the Silver Legacy promptly at 1:30 pm. Despite a long line, the check in was very quick. We received a king-bed room on the 16th floor. The elevator area was protected by a security guard. You had to show your room key to get through. Our room was at the very end of long hallway. Stale tobacco smell permeated the area. The room was large, with even stronger stale odor. Carpeting was dirty. The bed was comfortable. The bedding was old, thin, and grey. The bathroom was on a small side with a dim flickering light. Towels were old and thin. Overall, the room reminded me of a beat-up $30 roadside Motel 6. We called for our luggage. It arrived within minutes.

To make room for dinner, we hit the gym on the 4th floor. It had a nice assortment of equipment for a good workout. A poll and a spa were in the same area.

We spend the rest of the day outside the casino enjoying a car show and inside on the gambling floor. We also had a few drinks at the rum bar. Next morning, we checked out at 4 am and were ready to call a cab. I couldn't but notice that our hallway was littered with dirt, scrap papers, cups, and potato chips. To our pleasant surprise, we received a complimentary limo ride to the airport.

By and large, I cannot compliment enough the Casino staff. Without exception, the employees were welcoming, attentive, and prompt. Unfortunately, the hotel rooms are old and not very clean.

1 Thank Gene_Augusta
Fort Worth, Texas
Reviewed 13 June 2011

Stayed at the Silver Legacy Resort in Reno - really liked this place, right in downtown. Easy to get around. I looked at some of the other near by properties, and the Silver Legacy seemed to be the best. The room was on the small size, but well equipped and comfortable. I had a nice view over the pool. The lobby was very nice and you felt like this was a quality establishment. I went to the show in the comedy club, which was up to my expectations. Had breakfast at the buffet, which was quite good and an outstanding selection. The coffee shop in the lobby was reasonably priced and had good food, which was a surprise. Over all I had a very nice time and I was quite pleased with the stay. The only negative was that the parking garage elevators got very crowded at checkout time and I elected to walk up 9 floors rather than wait in the long line, which helped work off the big breakfast. I'd definitely recommend this hotel for someone wanting to stay in Reno - felt like Las Vegas but a lot less expensive.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled solo
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 12 June 2011

My partner and I just returned from an overnight stay at the Silver Legacy in Reno. It was our first time to stay at the hotel. We had a very pleasant stay. Granted that the hotel is very early 90s in decor, it is nonetheless very clean. It is very centrally located in Reno and has a lot to offer visitors.

Others may be put off by the old and dated look of the hotel. However, we went to Reno to sightsee and gamble. The room which was big and spacious more than served our needs. The bed was comfy and the room well maintained. I highly recommend this place.

2 Thank first100countries