“The good and the bad”

The Sands Regency Casino Hotel
Ranked #36 of 64 Hotels in Reno
Reviewed 16 July 2014

Start with the good........prices,location,and the rooms. When you first arrive, you think, oh boy should of spent the extra money and gone to El Dorado or Silver Legacy which is less than 2 blocks away. Casino area is very old looking, smelling, and just outdated. But after a smooth check-in, you drop your bags at your room, things look up a bit. Nice bed, nice clean room, and very spacious. Bathroom are basic, but if you come to Reno to hang in your rooms, definitely stay somewhere else, and pay more. Since we were with a group of 300+ and this was the pick, it was fine. Went to the sports bar, and although it is very small, the bartenders were super friendly and the drinks generous. I always favor friendly service over big budget atmosphere with unfriendly service. We were here 2 days and never had unfriendly service. Location is downtown and when we needed a change of pace, walked up to El Dorado and enjoyed the facilities there.

The bad was the outdated casino area, and the pool. The pool (located in the middle of the parking lot) needs new surfacing! The bar at the pool (again with great service) was nice, the temp of the pool perfect, it is just old. Summers in Reno require more shade structures, and with those two things, re-surfacing of 'the deck area' and shade umbrellas, it would make a world of difference.

I also am NOT a fan of allowing dogs (unless they are service dogs) in hotels. This hotel does, and that's just me. Omit "Green Tower" if you are not a dog person.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank lnlwalters

Reviewed 7 July 2014

I choose this hotel based on their weekday rates on the way over from Oregon to Los Angeles. Rooms were spacious and clean. Parking made it easy to get to the room and back. Close walking distance to downtown, so that was a plus.

Internet was slow during certain times of the day and night, but it was fast enough to allow me to do my assignments for my online courses.

Room Tip: Try to stay in the rooms with a "mountain view". Elevators leading to this part of the hot...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 29 June 2014

We stay here almost yearly because we get a great rate. The rooms could use some updating, especially the carpet. The rooms are good size with standard offerings, though the beds are comfy and the pillows aren't to bad. The windows are a little drafty, but all in all, not to bad of a hotel. It is one of those things, you get what you pay for and who spends that much time in their room anyway in Reno?

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tammi W
Reviewed 28 June 2014

We would stay here again as there were some things we really liked. One of them was the (king) bed sheets, which were not only clean, but appeared to be new. Although the place (not including the room) seemed old and could use an overhaul in our estimation, the room was large and the bed was comfortable. I would have given it an excellent sleep quality, but throughout the night, the air conditioner would every once in a while let out a horrific roar. Also the towels were descent. Front desk service was a plus (friendly and efficient).

One thing that irked me was the price. Even though the advertised room rate was very acceptable, by the time they added the tax recovery charges, service fees, and a resort fee, it increased the price more than 31%. They do this because they can, and do not throw in some of the charges, until you register at check-in.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 June 2014 via mobile

I was warned before I booked here what I was getting myself into so I made to have low expectations. I came out with my husband while he was bowling the tournament and he always stays here because this is where the bracket money is paid at. So in that department it was very convenient to stay where we had to go anyways.

Otherwise there was nothing special about the place. Rooms were whatever, food decent (24 hr cafe was a bonus), and some blackjack tables still open to the wee hours. Only place in town with bingo! Drinks were really cheap. Pool was closed. Hot tub upstairs kinda small if other people are in it. While it wasn't really far from everything and we were able to walk to downtown and the bowling stadium, you wanted to make sure to walk quickly and keep an eye out for the homeless people.

Would I stay here again? Probably. But only because it's cheap and it's where the bracket money is paid
from. If the bowling stuff gets moved, so will we.

• Stayed: May 2014
2  Thank Kathy Z
Reviewed 23 June 2014 via mobile

I must say, I have read a lot of bad reviews about The Sands Reno in the past few years, some true and some not true. I must say the Sands has new owners and spent some good coin on up dating this property. New room decors and a very clean casino, with friendly help. By the way did I mention the room rates are great. I paid $40.00 per night on Friday and Saturday and a great low price for Sunday to Thursday only $19.00 per night. Great value and great price. You be the judge.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank OGALkiller
Reviewed 23 June 2014

We were able to book a room here for Blues Brews and BBQ. We usually stay at Silver Legacy but their rates were through the roof for this event. We booked the room for 60 bucks a night on a weekend. The room showed some wear however it was clean and quiet. The rooms are large and we had a great view of the mountains. We would stay here again if we were able to get a great deal like this trip.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family