“Outdated”

Harrah's Reno
Ranked #20 of 62 Hotels in Reno
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 19 June 2014 via mobile

Were staying in the west tower and was told by the front desk that it was updated. Are you kidding me it looks like it was updated 20 yrs ago. The furniture in our room was chipped the fury lamp shade was dirty. The gaming area just looked tired. I guess when you pay $ 32.00 a night like I did this is what you get. Glad I'm here for only 2 nights.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CaliforniaLosthiker
Write a ReviewReviews (4,132)

Reviewed 17 June 2014

We booked 2 rooms through Booking.com which was quite confusing in the way they charged us. But that aside, I was very surprised at how nice the rooms were in Harrah's. Based on the reviews I was expecting old, musty rooms and the rooms were old but very nicely done. The biggest thing which I have Never seen in any other hotel is that each room had 2 bathrooms and another storage room. That was a pleasant surprise. Though the irritating thing was that the shower was not placed in the center of the shower stall, instead towards the door so u were half hanging out to get water on your face.
But other than that the rooms were nice, bed was good and our dinner at the hard rock cafe downstairs was very good too. Overall a great stay.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank goin2cancun
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Visited for one weekday night. I got a good rate, a cash discount from my booking company based on other travel, and enjoyed a $15 meal credit from Harrah's. Using my "Locals" discount, I got two trips to Carvings Buffet for my meal credit. I spend $32 for the room and two meals, not so bad.

I was in the East tower this time. The elevators are in a faraway corner. The room was OK, but watch out for the extra charges. I think they have these extra charges to make up for not having a "Resort Fee". I simply won't go to a hotel that has a resort fee, but I'm not happy the extra charges either. They charge for bottled water $3, Internet $11, and now COFFEE $1.50/k-cup. I'm surprised there wasn't a charge for the A/C or for flushing the toilet.

Reno has lost most of its charm for me. If you decide to go and stay at Harrah's, make sure you BYO: water & coffee, don't count on the internet, and if you want a bottle of booze in your room, bring your own, because the little store in the hotel charges ~ 2X the street price.

Carvings is still a great deal, particularly if you are a "local" { within 100 miles }, but not great enough for me to drive 90 miles for.

Room Tip: I think the West tower is better and more central, but rates there may be a little more than the Eas...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
6  Thank BiffCanlett
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Stayed at Harrah's Reno property last week for a couple days and was pleased with most of my experience. Although the property is starting to show it's age a little it is still a nice place to stay, and play if you so choose. Did not have anything bad happen and would probably stay there again if the opportunity arises. The room prices were right in line with comparable places so that worked out well. There are a few newer properties in the area so if you like all new and shiny those might be more for you but if you choose to stay at Harrah's I don't think you would be disappointed.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Doug C
Reviewed 12 June 2014

This was a comp trip to Harrah's and we enjoyed our stay because of the employees. We were given a room in the East Building. The room was dated, dark and had no in room safe. I requested a move to the West Building mainly for an in room safe. Ruby(at the front desk) immediately moved us into the West Building. What a difference in rooms. This employee made sure our visit was going great every time I encountered her. The casino employees were very friendly down to the employees that kept the casino clean. Security was very evident for all 5 days. I was disappointed in the restaurants. The steak house was good, but I didn't leave with a "Wow". There are excellent restaurants around the river area. I would return to this Harrah's, but will eat elsewhere.

Room Tip: Do not stay in the East Building!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank whitewater4
Reviewed 8 June 2014

The rooms are bit old and don't expect any cell service. It is not available. You pay for WIFI but that also doesn't work. We couldn't get it and many people were complaining about it. Stay away from the Noodle bar restaurant. TERRIBLE!!!
The people were friendly enough. The steak house was very good but very pricey$$$$$.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank peanutbuff
Reviewed 8 June 2014

Took an extended few days off and decided on coming to Reno, Nevada, a city I have previously visited. There is good food, good lodging and, if you are patient, great service. How patient is up to you, and while I am tolerant to a point, even in an adult playground, service complaints abound. First impressions are perhaps the most important element when experiencing a new venue. I drove into the self-parking lot, as I was not sure about having to unload so much stuff for a stay of several days. Like many, if not most people, I prefer to have others handle my things as little as possible. So, I figured that upon check-in, if I needed to drive my vehicle back to the front of the hotel, I would gladly do so. I arrived at the front desk and seen immediately. However, the young woman behind the counter offered no greeting, not a hello, nothing of that sort. She did bombard me with orders, though. “I need your I.D.” and “How many nights are you staying?” were her first words to me. I said I had some questions, and her eyes began to blink, much as certain sitcom characters do when they are unable, comically, to process some data which affronts their own, stunted sensibilities. When my inquiries were met by silence and staring, I asked for a supervisor. This was most assuredly not comical.

Now, I understand, fully, both the complexity and overwhelming pressure placed upon hospitality employees, no matter the venue. But especially at a place as large as this, as famous as this, in a city which is a major destination, the stress is probably very high. However, the automaton, robot-like behavior is off-putting and less than cordial. Much less. The supervisor was barely better than her subordinate in answering my questions, but her civility and manners were about the same. No thank you, nothing. Oh, well, another death of American customer service. After finishing the almost military-like briefing, a bellman was dispatched to accompany me to my car, on the fifth level of the self-park. We unloaded my belongings and started the long journey to the East Tower, also on the fifth floor.

I settled into a clean, comfortable room with much luxury and several booby traps. Two bottles of Aquafina tap water are adorned with price tags, announcing they are $3 each. Similarly , the coffee maker in the bathroom offers a selection of hot drinks at $1.50 per. That small sign was hidden, perhaps accidentally, perhaps not, behind the coffee maker itself, thereby making it very possible that someone would make a costly mistake, benefiting the hotel. Beyond those items, television is not entirely free. Broadcast/cable stations are available, but a plethora of other services abound, including movies of all ratings. Otherwise, the basic accoutrements are supplemented by small niceties including a hair dryer, iron and board and a nice sized-soap. Towels are fluffy enough, but the bathroom had no vent, so post-shower mirror-viewing was at best difficult until the steam settled.

Gaming is what Nevada is known for, and why people come to the state. Unfortunately, Reno has not yet heard about this. Most casinos are run down, ancient structures with out of date machines, and Harrah’s is no different. The most popular machines, both video poker and slots, are either nowhere to be found or in such small supply that is makes more sense to go elsewhere than spend time and money at the venue where one is staying. Which is what I did, visiting many competing casinos and seeing, in most cases, the same, shabby, ancient offerings. Exceptions are the Silver Legacy and Atlantis, the latter which, while not new, is at least nicely maintained, with much better service than Harrah’s.

Eating should also be fun and memorable. Memorable Harrah’s is, if only for the bad service. At the Joy Luck Noodle Bar, Hash House A Go Go and Carvings Buffet, service was inexcusably bad. I ate twice at th Noodle Bar, on the same day, several hours apart. My initial time there, the young woman chef was on the ball, offering suggestions and condiments. Later on, at night, the older, male chef was more interested his friend and their shared Keno card. At the Has House, the hostess misunderstood a request and I waited and waited and waited… Upon ordering, the server did not inform me that the fried chicken entrée had bones, wherein the menu listing says nothing about that. Lastly, the buffet: my server felt it was more important to share Facebook and photographs on her cell phone than to bring me a drink. Lastly, one evening I felt like trying the Japanese-themed Ichiban. I stood a the counter, asking questions, apparently intent on eating there, only to be told by the very young and inexperienced hostess that “We aren’t seating anyone else tonight.” Why wouldn’t that be the first thing addressed when a prospective diner shows up? I addressed all these concerns with members of management, whom I found strolling the ground at various times.

Upon check-in, I was given a promotion of $20 for food and beverage, with certain caveats about where this could be used. This nice, but I would rather pay full price for great service than have garbage for free. As for freebies and comps, when signing up for a player’s card, you are told about the same caveats. There are certain eateries which are technically “not related” to Harrah’s and thus the patron is not allowed to dine there using Harrah’s promotions. Truth be told, I would not waste my time obtaining a Harrah’s card given what I know now. Even taking a cab or other conveyance elsewhere would save not only money, but aggravation and frustration at the bad service at Harrah’s.

There are bright spots: The bellmen are courteous and attentive. Shuttle driver Stuart is engaging and professional, courteous and respectful. And the cage workers are, for most part, also helpful, friendly and solicitous. However, the core functions group, i.e., front desk, servers, wait staff, are grossly deficient in knowing what customer is supposed to be. And that is shame in a city and state supposedly dedicated to providing a great customer service experience.

Room Tip: Speak with management when possible, as clerks really have no grasp on proper customer service, or h...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo