“Not the safest place”

Harrah's Reno
Ranked #18 of 63 Hotels in Reno
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 12 August 2009

We had not been to Reno in almost 10 years, what a change. Casinos boarded up, empty storefronts, just not a safe feel at all. In addition, we were towing a boat, and found that Harrahs had NO onsite parking for large vehicles. In the past, they had an open lot behind the hotel where RVs and trailers parked. Now, you have to park 6 blocks away in a deserted part of town, no transportation to haul your stuff back and forth. This really detracted from our stay. As long as you stay within the Harrahs property, the food, gaming and all was great. The rooms are average for a big hotel, nothing special. Not sure whether I would recommend Reno at all.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
HarrahsReno, Customer Service at Harrah's Reno, responded to this reviewResponded 26 February 2016

Thanks for your feedback regarding us here at Harrah's Reno.

Write a ReviewReviews (4,284)

Reviewed 9 August 2009

We had one of the end rooms with the balcony. My friend was able to go outside and smoke. Really nice room and decor - seemed newly redone. Our room overlooked the Reno baseball stadium. The coffee shop is very good for food.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with friends

Thanks for your very nice remarks about our balcony room here at Harrah's Reno.

Reviewed 7 August 2009

I really enjoyed my stay at Harrah's. Got an amazing rate through Hotwire. Service was first rate from pulling up to the free valet parking, to pulling out of the free valet parking. Desk clerk upgraded me to a late check out and a king size room with a view. Room in West Tower obviously recently redone, just perfect and lovely. Very quiet. Friendly dealers and waitstaff.

Good choice in the Reno area. Had good Chinese food in the 24 hour restuarant and nice breakfast buffet.

My only quibble, very poor selection of cable channels. I would be in a better mood to gamble if I could watch Jon Stewart first!

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled solo
1  Thank MostWinningWoman

I am glad that you enjoyed your stay here at Harrah's Reno.

Reviewed 4 August 2009

I stayed at Harrah's Reno July 29-Aug.2, 2009. I requested a smoking West tower room, and got a non-smoking East tower room. Not a good start. I did get the room changed quickly, but it took 2 1/2 hours to get my luggage from the junket I was on brought up, not the 1-1 1/2 hours they claim. The West tower room had a view of the pool and the famous Reno sign, as well as other downtown casinos. The room was fine, but the 19 inch tv and few channels( and that includes 3 in japanese, and one in spanish) were pretty pitiful. The casino is not that large, and it is split up(you have to go across a walkway to get to the east tower and it's casino). The location is good, with the new baseball stadium for the AAA Reno Aces next door, and other casinos (such as Eldorado/Silver Legacy/Circus Circus, whom are all connected) closeby. Go across to the tiny Nugget and go to the back and get a Awful Awful burger, it is $6.95 with a half pound of fries, and it is good. The pool at Harrahs is plain, but was nice and cool and the area kept up. The sun doesn't start shining on the pool areas until around 11:30, so it's nice and pleasant in the mornings. The fitness room/spa is nice but costs $10 a day, except for premium card holders. The wifi in the rooms is easy to use, but it is $10.95 for each 24 hours. The blackjack was hard to beat, but on Fri and Sat nights they have Zone 21 with lots of loud music and the girls in skimpy outfits and they even dance on a small stage every so often. The machines were tight, and few in our group won anything. Since it was a comped trip, I enjoyed it, but if I had paid a lot, I'd probably say it wasn't so nice and think of going to somewhere nicer(Silver Legacy was beautiful).

• Stayed: July 2009

Reviewed 4 August 2009

While I wasn’t totally disappointed, but I wasn’t thrilled……Stayed in the west wing and while the room was nice it was tiny. Examples: wife’s bag just barely fit between bed and dresser, I’m 6’3” and sitting on the toilet my knees were almost touching the new vanity in front of me. It was clean and everything worked just fine……no problems so I didn’t have any real interaction with staff….

Maybe I’m jaded because I live in LV and expected more; maybe I felt downtown Reno was a little seedy. I was just not really impressed.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple

Thanks for your feedback regarding us here at Harrah's Reno.

I am sorry that you felt that downtown Reno was a little seedy and that you were not impressed.

Reviewed 31 July 2009

We've stayed at many Harrah's properties. We just spent 10 days in the Tahoe area and decided to grab one of our comp offers for an overnight to be close to the airport. The room was smaller than we were used to at other properties but NO Complaints. It was tastefully done and the furry lampshade was cute. Bed was comfy.

Sorry to all other Harrah's BUT... The food at Harrah's Reno Buffet blows the rest of you out of the water... and the QUALITY gives the Rio in Vegas buffet a run for the money. The dessert guy made me a special sugar free crepe. (diabetic) The grilled vegetables were plentiful and SO tasty. Of all things, the meat loaf was great! The crab legs were small but they already had the tools on your table (plenty of places make you ask).

Val, the bartender at the Progressive Video poker bar was great, so was the guy who checked us in... and the Hertz rental guy (Dan, I think) fixed my pricing problem on my car rental.

Here's a BIGGIE: Free internet room to print out your boarding passes for your airplane transportation. Most places charge a fee. Not here.
The pool looked great but didnt get a chance to use (5th floor roof)

Next time I'm in the area, I will spend more nights at Harrah's Reno.

Harrah's Reno... be proud. You are a cut above ... & like I said, I've been to plenty of Harrah's properties.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
HarrahsReno, Customer Service at Harrah's Reno, responded to this reviewResponded 8 March 2016

Thanks for your very nice comments about us here at Harrah's Reno and especially our Carvings Buffet.

Your compliments will be passed on the Val our bartender.

Reviewed 20 July 2009

We traveled through Reno on our motorcycles - we generally stay and play at Harrahs casinos when we go to vegas so we figured we'd stay there. We booked using our Total rewards and got a East Wing room for $35. When we checked in we were given a West Wing room which was VERY nice. The staff at every step was fantastic. We were able to unload our bikes at the Valet area, and then the bell staff brought them to our rooms. The Casino was great, and the smoke was under control too. Nice bars, and excellent drink service.

The room was clean, had a nice bed and bedding and TV etc. We liked it so much we decided we'd go back in October when some nice fares came out from Southwest - lucky us we had comped West Wing rooms when I went to book!

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with friends
HarrahsReno, Customer Service at Harrah's Reno, responded to this reviewResponded 25 February 2016

Thanks for your wonderful review of us here at Harrah's Reno.

We love to have all the motorcycle guests here.