“Crooked and Dishonest Staff. Do not stay here.”
Review of Vagabond Inn Reno

Vagabond Inn Reno
Ranked #38 of 64 Hotels in Reno
Atlanta, Georgia
“Crooked and Dishonest Staff. Do not stay here.”
Reviewed 6 September 2011

After booking with a large travel website, I arrived at the Vagabond Inn, Reno with my confirmation email and reservation number. The front desk staff refused to honor my reservation, siting the price was way below their current rate. After I contacted the travel site (who even contacted their corporate office), the hotel staff agreed to honor the reservation, but only verbally. The check in form I was asked to sign, conveniently, had the rate left blanked. When i questioned this, the manager once again pointed out their current rate was much higher, and they would not honor my reservation and told me if I didn't like it, I could go some where else. I ended up having to sleep in my rental car because to try and get a walk-in rate at any hotel on labor day would have cost me 3 times what my reservation was for.

Room Tip: Don' stay here, very shady staff.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank dranobob

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 24 August 2011

My daughter and I were in town for an event at the convention center, which was an easy walk of six blocks or so. The room was clean, and the staff met every request (microwave, extra towels, etc.) promptly and courteously. The free breakfast is very adequate, the pool is lovely, and overall this was a great value at $50 a night. Since I don't actually want the front door opened for me, I far prefer a place like this over a 4-star hotel that charges for absolutely everything, including Internet service. If that describes you, try the Vagabond.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Eileen F
Daly City, California
Reviewed 21 June 2011

This is an older resort reminiscent of Reno's heyday. Great location right between the
Peppermill and the Atlantis, right down the street from the convention center. I particularly
liked the trees and open spaces. Apparently the mgmt has recently remodeled and the
place looks good. Wifi system, which is new, also very nice. This place actually has
atmosphere, look forward to coming back.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank karmstrong8888
Sacramento, California
Reviewed 18 September 2010

The room was clean. The ac machine is ancient. Two buttons were broken = ghetto. We had a room that had a little extra room with two bunk beds. I was not aware we would be getting a little creepy room when I had booked. The bunk beds were twin size beds that had a separate door which I found a little creepy and scary. It looked like a room that you kept kids in! CREEPY. Anyways, the towels are hard and smelly. The sheets look ancient and old. The television was super small. The furniture looked like they bought them from a thrift store. The rooms need an upgrade. For the money I paid for this place, I expected more. I will not and do not recommend staying at the Vagabond in Reno. Next time, I will pay twenty dollars more and stay at a much nicer place.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business
2 Thank LeilasMom

Travellers are raving about these Reno hotels

USA
Reviewed 19 April 2009

We were in town for the evening, and got in late, so we decided we would stay and drive the 2 hours home in the morning. We stopped at a drug store for the essentials and headed for the Vagabond.
We were offered a room at the back, althought the rest of the lot was not full, and upstairs, although the bottom floor was obviously not occupied.
The room had only a 19 inch TV (when's the last time you saw one of those?), it had no microwave, the coffee pot was broken.
Because the rate was almost $100, we did not anticipate need to purchase shampoo or soap, but the single bar of soap did not last through the first shower, and the shampoo "packet" was not enough "soap" to make it through the second.
The towels were thin & scratchy, the bed uncomfortable. The walls are thin, and you can hear the neighbors TV & Shower.
At 2am, the smoke alarm battery gave up the ghost & started beeping.

At $39-$49, you expect this type of "Joint", at almost $100.00.... just keep driving.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DutchOvenDIan
Reviewed 3 September 2008

all i can say is that it was a great stay and staff were verry friendly.i would stay anytime!!=)

• Liked — the staff and pool,breakfest,most of all my room!!
  • Disliked — nothing everything was great!!
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
CALIFORNIA
Reviewed 14 October 2006

This was the worst hotel stay i ever had in RENO IN MY LIFE. and I have been going to RENO for many years approx 5 TO 6 times a year. I have NEVER stayed at this hotel till 10/7/06 and will never, ever stay there again. First we were given a room with guest already in it and here is the SCARY PART the computerized door KEY WORKED and unlocked the door. As we started into the room we realized that there people a sleep in the beds and this was 11PM at night. We when back to the office and was given another room that did not have a good working A/C, poor plumbing and what looked like hairs in the bed between the sheets. We again went back to the office and given another room with a promise of comp from the night mgr in the morning. However when we were checking out they could not find our paper work. After explaining to the day mgr about nightmare we had checking in the paper was found under the 1st room in which they had checked out using our comp and was told that we were not entitled to a comp. Lucky the night mgr had come back to the desk because they forgot something and we got the comp. But this was a very BAD, BAD, BAD, JUST A BAD exprience for us. Also the hotel was run down and the beds were very uncomfortable they sack in the middle.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Service
  • Tips/Secrets — Book in advance in reno hotel space has become very limited
  • Stayed October 2006, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
5 Thank THEFATCAT
VagabondInns, Director of Tour and Travel/Sales Training at Vagabond Inn Reno, responded to this review, 12 June 2007
Thank you for taking the time to make us aware of your stay at Vagabond Inn Reno. I apologize on behalf of our company for the unfavorable stay you had recently. We strive for excellence in all areas of our hotels, offering the best value for clean, comfortable rooms and friendly service. Please be advised that management/ownership have been made aware of the issues stated and are working as a team to correct them. Thank you for your feedback!