Holiday Inn Reno-Sparks
US$76
US$57
US$68
US$62
All reviewspower stripin house restaurantfront desk staffwestern villagereward pointslower floorbed was comfortableexcellent staydowntown renofreewayshuttlenuggetnevada
Reviewed 23 July 2014 via mobile

Not a bad hotel for a business traveller. It is convenient to I-80 and restaurants and a short drive into town. The Hotel is older but clean and rooms have a small refrigerator and microwave. The staff are extremely friendly and helpful.
The internet is a bit slow and could use an upgrade, I think, but that was the only problem I encountered.

Stayed: July 2014
workatholidayinn, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Reno-Sparks, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2014

Thank you for staying with us while you are doing business in the Reno - Sparks area. We strive to provide you with excellent customer service and clean, comfortable rooms. We apologize that the internet was not as responsive as you would have liked. We are working on improving that as well and we hope you will come back as stay with us the next time you are in town.

Reviewed 16 July 2014

On the positive side, the hotel is in a convenient location, easily accessible to attractions, shopping, restaurants, the airport, and downtown. My room was updated, large, clean, and the bed was comfortable. The bathrooms were large with long vanities, and the room included a round table and a desk. A mini refrigerator was included, and I was asked if I needed a microwave. The hotel is older, but has been updated. The fitness center is available 24 hrs a day, parking was sufficient, and there is a restaurant on site. The front desk clerks, the 1st tech I encountered, and the waitress were very pleasant and helpful. Unfortunately, I only caught the names of one front desk clerk, Cayley (sp?), and the waitress, Hope. I did accept the offer of a microwave, which was promptly delivered by a very nice tech.
On the negative side, unfortunately, my phone message lights were on and neither the desk clerk nor the tech was able to disconnect it. I told them it was not a big deal since I had my cell phone, so we unplugged it. The next morning, I left for the office and left a note for the housekeeper to have maintenance check out the toilet, which wasn't flushing properly. Upon my return that evening, my door was ajar! I called the front desk before entering my room, and then peeked in to see if someone was there. I requested maintenance to come up to be sure the room/door was secure as the latch and lock we're not working properly. I was very upset that my room/belongings were accessible to anyone, and probably all day!! The desk clerk was understanding and apologetic. When someone knocked on the door, I assumed it was maintenance, but when looking through the peep hole, it looked like one of the many construction worker guests staying in the hotel. The man was not in uniform, his shirt was wet, and he had drinks/snacks in his hand. When I asked who he was, he said maintenance. I was afraid a construction worker had overheard my conversation in the hall since he didn't look like an employee. I asked him where his ID was and why he wasn't in uniform and he said he was new, so I called the front desk, and he took off down the stairwell. Very concerning! The desk clerk asked if he had on a green Polo shirt, and he did not, further concerning me, so I requested a manager or another employee to come up with maintenance. After 45 min and two calls, a Manager, Trevor, came up with the guy that came to the door earlier, this time he was wearing the green shirt. The manager was very nonchalant, never apologized, or addressed my security concerns. He acknowledged that the door had to be closed hard and said it would be taken care of the next day! I felt like he thought I was over reacting and interrupting him! I secured the door from the inside and stayed in the rest of the evening. The next morning, my toilet overflowed as I was on my way out for the day. It was flooding the bathroom, so I immediately called the front desk, but had to leave. When I returned that evening, the lock had been adjusted and the toilet worked better. In addition to all that, the restaurant also had staff issues. The first morning, when I went down for breakfast, there were no employees around. Since there were other guests in the restaurant, I waited. After about 5 minutes a stressed waitress (Hope) came rushing out of the kitchen. She acknowledged my presence, but was very busy and didn't get to ask for my drink order for a while. She was alone, and literally RUNNING from guest to guest, to the kitchen, to the register, etc. The whole while, very pleasant to everyone. When she finally got to me, I asked why she was alone, and she said the other waitress quit that morning. In addition, her computer wasn't working and she couldn't get anyone to help her. I had time and was patient seeing she was doing everything she good to keep everyone happy and she was pleasant. It took an hour to get oatmeal with fruit and toast. I had requested a side of berries for the fruit, and she told me the cook didn't have blueberries, so gave he me extra strawberries. Come to find out, it was a cup of melon, with one large sliced strawberry and 6 blueberries on top hiding the melon! I let the front desk know what Hope was going through, that she needed help and that she should be recognized for her efforts and pleasant attitude through a very stressful situation. The next morning, the situation was the same, and there were more guests! However, she remembered what I drank the previous morning and what room I was in! I ordered a spinach and cheese omelet, and received only a cheese omelet, but didn't have the time, or the heart, to send it back, so I ate it. Again, I was there an hour. I did note that, what looked like a manager, cleared some tables for her. The 3rd morning, her computer was fixed, but she was still alone. She said it was a little less stressful because she came in extra early to get everything setup so she didn't have to worry about that in addition to serving, and that she was concerned about her guests eating and getting to work on time! She was so pleasant and positive! I hope she was paid for the extra time she put in, and she deserves a bonus/raise and some verbal appreciation! She could have walked out, like the other waitress under pressure, but didn't. What would the hotel have done then? Good thing room service isn't provided! There should be cross training to be sure guests/employees do not suffer when the hotel is short staffed. New employees, especially maintenance, should be provided with ID immediately, and there should be extra uniform shirts until the employee is fitted with their own. If not, he should be accompanied by another employee until then. The employees make the hotel and it doesn't matter how nice the hotel if the staff is insufficient (in numbers, training, performance, attitude, etc.) I don't go to Reno often, but I think the next time I will try another hotel.
Oh, I was never offered any compensation for my inconveniences and concerns...and I'm a platinum member since 1990, which I rarely through around.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank DeeDee134

We appreciate your valuable feedback being an IHG member for a long time. Your observations are important not only for training purposes but in order for all the staff to work on improving customer service and the awareness of our guest's perceptions.

The comfort, care and safety of our guests is of primary concern to us and we are continually working on communicating promptness and professionalism with our team in taking care of any issues that arise in the guest rooms or common areas of the hotel. We apologize that your experience didn't reflect that. Our goal is to provide excellent care and we are working on this daily.

Reviewed 10 July 2014

This hotel was substandard in every area.
The rooms were old, dirty and there were no wall outlets to plug anything into. Even the lamps had no plugs. There was no desk or area to work. That's just the beginning...

I stayed here because of the restaurant on site. I even paid for the breakfast to be in my rate.
Big mistake! I ate there one day, took one hour as there was only one person working the whole room. When you walk in and she says it will be ten minutes before she can even take your order you know you are in trouble.

I am a loyal Holiday Inn customer but this was not even close to Holiday Inn standards. I feel as though I was taken advantage of.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else, the Holiday Inn Express by the airport is 10 times better than this place.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank wareking
workatholidayinn, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Reno-Sparks, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2014

Thank you for being a loyal IHG Member, we appreciate your business. We also appreciate your feedback on your stay with us as we are committed to improving our services. This property is older and has been completely renovated over the last 5 years. We take lots of pride in keeping the rooms and public areas clean and up to Holiday Inn standards, so I am surprised that your experience was contrary to that. Being an older property, having enough outlets is always a challenge as guests didn't have all the electronics that we have now. The king bedded rooms do have a work desk and a double outlet lamp to help with this problem. We have also added microwaves and refrigerators with double outlets on them for convenience. Our immediate plan is to add new lamps with extra outlets in the double queen rooms for additional accessible outlets.

Their is no excuse for the long wait times in the restaurant and we have hired new personnel that should improve the service for our guests.

Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

I stayed there heading west to California after 10 hours trip in the dessert. Tired and worn out I was looking forward to stay at this HI because I know all the HI what the offer and what to expect. The front desk had only one person servicing the que of people waiting to check in. Only one elevator was working and tons if children going up and down for a ride. When I finally came to my room btw no directional signs once you exit the elevator. The room is old, some motel 6 has better rooms than that. In the room the alarm click was not set. The microwave was not working. Only soap and shampoo were the only amenities in the bathroom. No note pad or pen either.

Their internet sucks!!!!!! First of all they don't offer wired internet, only WiFi. It was impossible to connect so I tryed to call the FD but no one answer. Then I called their tech support vendor and they told me the issue is on the hotel's equipment, he was going to call them directly to reboot. It took two calls to try to reboot it. The second time I called myself the FD but I was yelled because I called their vendor.???? Amazing customer service

Never used the pool or spa but from my window they look terrible.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank TheGreenGreek
workatholidayinn, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Reno-Sparks, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2014

We apologize for your difficulty with the internet connection while you were here on Sunday night. I'm sure you were not aware that Sparks had an area power outage during the day and the hotel was affected by that. Unfortunately, that affected the clocks, elevators, computers and I'm sure the etho-stream internet connections. We apologize for the inconvenience you experienced and evidently housekeeping didn't get back to all the rooms to reset the clocks. The hotel does have a few tele-connect boxes for wired internet at the front desk but with better technology available we had a T1 line added and then upgraded to a Fiberoptic line for increased internet speed.

We apologize again for the challenges you had. Our goal is for you to have a sparkling clean room with all the amenities to relax and get a good nights sleep.

Reviewed 5 July 2014

Room is old and ugly. View was bad. There was only one person waiting all the guests in the restaurant during breakfast on a Saturday morning. It took 30 minutes to get our drinks and 45 minutes to get food. Over priced for what your get overall.

• Stayed: July 2014
3  Thank Jonathan_Mox

Thank you for letting us know your experience in your guest room so we can work on improving the problems. The building is older and the plumbing can be a challenge especially being on the top floor. Regardless, I apologize that maintenance didn't get the drain working well and If not they should have recommended that we change the room you were in. The Front desk should have checked back with you to be sure the problem was fixed. We will have a discussion with the staff about how to handle these situations and solve them before it continues to escalate into a bigger problem.

We apologize for the inconvenience this caused during your stay.