“"Resort Fee" is a rip-off”

Harrah's Lake Tahoe
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Stateline
GreenLeadersSilver level
Austin, Texas, United States
“"Resort Fee" is a rip-off”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2013

This review counts for both Harrah's and their sister property, Harvey's, located across the street. I know that the inclusion of a "resort fee" is not unique to them, I recently stayed with them and it aggravated me enough to final put my complaint into print.
In my opinion, hotels receive their ranking depending upon the amenities included with the cost of the room. If I stay at a 3, 4, or 5 star hotel, I am going to expect a pool, probably a work-out room of a sort and the higher rated ones will have additional services available. However, if I am going to be charged an additional fee for these items, regardless of my desire for or usage of these items, they shouldn't be included when determining the hotel's rating.
For $20/day over the cost of the room rate, I was given access to the pool, the weight room, and wireless internet. Since Harvey's pool is outside and it was the opening weekend for ski season, that was not a selling point. I didn't go there for the exercise and can get my internet via my cell phone's hotspot. Regardless, I was expected to pay an additional $20/day. Since this is not an optional fee, I believe the room rate should just be increased by the $20 and have those items included "at no extra cost". Then, I know I am comparing apples to apples when making lodging choices.
In the interest of full disclosure, I will say that I don't pay for rooms when I visit because of the level of gambling I do. I was a bit perturbed, though, when they tried to hit me up for 5 nights worth of "resort fees". While it didn't happen, it got me to thinking of the absurdity of the practice.
Now, as long as you know about the Resort Fee and are still considering staying there, I wouldn't try to talk you out of it. Either property is well-staffed and offers beautiful views of the lake and mountains. The property is in good repair and I will continue to return. But, as long as they continue to charge this resort fee, I will consider it as a 2 star hotel, with non-optional upgrade to a 3 or 4.
As for the food offerings, lots of quality to chose from. I would rate their buffet in line with most you will find in Las Vegas. Average except in two areas. First, the view (being located on the top floor) is spectacular! Secondly is their cheesecake, which rivals any I've had in NYC.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Scott S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (874)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2013

After a day trip to South Lake Tahoe we decided to stay the night and were able to book a premium room at a very reasonable rate. The guest room was immaculate and spacious with a lovely view of the lake and mountains. The bed and linens were very comfortable. We especially appreciated the two bathrooms in the room. His and hers! Although we had limited contact with the staff we found them helpful and friendly.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Sandiiie
Ft Lauderdale, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2013

We spent 4 nights at Harrak's Lake Tahoe last week and as always, truly enjoyed the room and staff. Upon arriving, the valets are fast and friendly, the bell desk is right there to assist with bags, the check-in is easy and the rooms are large and clean and what can you say about 2 bathrooms?! Great idea by Bill Harrah years ago to get you and the wife out of the room and down in the casino.. but also very nice to have this setup regardless if you are playing at the tables or not.

Truly enjoyable stay!

Room Tip: Ask the check-in staff if any upgrades or Lake views are avilable.. they will always accomodate base...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Daniel B
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2013

Even though we went through VIP (we gamble a lot), I was still impressed with the service here. Our early arrival made for 1 (of 3) room still being cleaned. Mine, of course. Check-in gave me options - I chose 'text/call me when it's ready". They did and all was well. The room itself was OK.
Before starting our gaming, we checked to see if our credit lines were in place (minor issue here - they could have emailed to say "done"). The clerk (I failed to catch her name though she remembered mine and said "hi" to me the next day when she saw me in the casino) explained what was missing (just signature on paperwork) and what to do. At the cage, another explanation paired with quick and accurate service. The credit manager (Mike) suggested some dinner options while we waited - nice.
I actually like hearing the explanations. It makes me confident that the final resolution is near.
I even got an explanation from Floor Coverage when I (finally) got a hand-pay. He was quick to arrive and talked about the frequency of payouts on that bank of slots.
My final TITO was large enough (I still lost) that I went to the cage rather than the cash machine. He was nice enough to ask how I'd like the payout broken down.
Overall, pretty much every worker with whom I had contact made me feel that he/she was looking out for me. Very impressive !

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank aceofdelts
Oceanside, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2013

Having driven up from Southern California, we were more than ready to settle in when we finally arrived at Harrah's. After reading numerous TripAdvisor reviews, we had chosen Harrah's over Harvey's (where we had previously stayed) and I think it was a good choice. Plenty of available parking, both in open lots and the garage (or valet if you prefer). Diamond check-in was quick, and we were given a lovely room on the 14th floor overlooking Lake Tahoe (and the Heavenly ski lift out the other window). The room had a lovely bank of windows --- although I can never quite figure out why all of the seating areas never take advantage of the view!! We ended up turning the two-piece couch around so that we could view the lake while sipping our morning coffee.

The room has two bathrooms, which is a nice change for a hotel. One with a sink, toilet and shower, and the other with sink, toilet and tub/shower combo. Makes getting ready in the morning much easier!

There was a small refrigerator in the room, and also a "don't touch!!" mini-bar. The coffee maker in the room is one of the small ones that uses throw-away mini (individual) baskets and coffee pouches with two provided each morning, so you're good for 2 cups of coffee ... unless you like weak coffee and want to re-use one of the packets! A regular coffee pot would be much better, I think, although they claim this type is more sanitary. Hard to believe that, since they give you ceramic cups ... and the first one I picked up had lipstick on it!!

Overall, the room was spacious and comfortable, although I wouldn't give it 100% on the cleanliness or maintenance scale. Aside from the lipsticked coffee cup, a couple of light bulbs were burned out, and one of the toilets kept running after you flushed it, so we had to keep taking the tank lid off and untangling the chain. Nothing that was a deal-breaker, but not stellar, either.

We never ate there, so I can't comment on the restaurants (although the sports bar at Harvey's was fantastic!!). As a Diamond player, the check-in facility was great, the Diamond Lounge was one of the nicer ones that I've been to, and the turn-down service at night (chocolates on the pillows ... yum!) was quite nice.

The hotel is beginning to show some age, but is still a nice facility. The underground tunnel between Harrah's and Harvey's makes it convenient to pop back and forth between the two facilities.

Room Tip: Go for an odd numbered room on a high floor. This will give you a nice view of the lake and you'...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank BadDiver
Richmond, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2013

In our previous trips to Lake Tahoe we only visited the buffet at the Harrahs, and since we loved it, this time we decided to also stay at the hotel to check it, and we were so happy with our decision! From our nice and spacious room we could enjoy the view of the Gondola at one side and the Lake Tahoe to the other, and with a beautiful full moon, it was a breathtaking sight at night!
One of the best part of Harrah's hotels is the fact of double bathrooms in each room, this is a convenience and a very pleasant extra for families.
Our only issue was that you have to take the elevator to the Casino floor to go to the pool, and that the water was too COLD! However, it is a nice indoor pool!
Overall we loved our stayed at the Harrahs and we will choose it again for our next trip!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank KEZC29
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 October 2013 via mobile

The room was very spacious and quiet. It had a great view too. I really liked having two bathrooms. The buffet at the too was good! I enjoyed having the Hard Rock Cafe channel in my room. I briefly lost power in my room, but it did not last more than five minutes. Overall it was a good stay.

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank AMP559
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stateline
Grand Residences by Marriott, Tahoe - 1 to 3 bedrooms & Pent.
Grand Residences by Marriott, Ta...
#9 of 66 in South Lake Tahoe
Lakeside Inn and Casino
Lakeside Inn and Casino
#2 of 9 in Stateline
The Ritz-Carlton, Lake Tahoe

Been to Harrah's Lake Tahoe? Share your experiences!