“Very unique!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Clown Motel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Tonopah
Clown Motel
Ranked #1 of 2 Tonopah B&B and Inns
Boston, Massachusetts
“Very unique!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2012

My friend and I found the Clown Motel to be the easiest stop on our way to las Vegas from Yosemite National Park. And it was actually great, rooms were clean and comfortable. We were exhausted from the trip, so it was really nice to have a warm shower and a nice bed. The downside is that there's no breakfast and the city is not that lively anyways. But staff was very nice, especially considering our late arrival. The place is very unique, the clowns everywhere, the cemetery right next to it... it felt very surreal! But I would totally come back!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
La Verne, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2012

On a recent trip to Carson City my wife and I had a night in Tonopah and after looking at the reviews decided to use the Clown. BAD CHOICE, not eclectic-rundown, dirty and shopworn. Let me illuminate. Dirty bedspreads, 2 chairs in the room both unusable-broken legs, blankets had burn holes, carpet badly stained, refrigerator propped up with a bar of soap, night stand ripped off the wall between the beds and even the Gideon Society didn't leave a bible. Walked out, ate the $43 and got a room at the Mazpah (see my review there ).

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
19 Thank Tom B
Las Vegas, Nevada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2012

The Clown Motel is a motel, not a bed and breakfast. It is old, very worn, but unique. I had an antique Radar range (microwave) that worked just great in my room. Nifty! The shower was spectacular- a huge showerhead with pressure to blast you out of the room. The building is old, you can hear every creak and footstep from upstairs if you stay in a room on the 1st floor. They allow dogs, no extra fee, I travel with 3 dogs......but they gave me the crappiest room, I think they have been burned by previous visitors with dogs destroying things. Ruins it for the rest of us. The rug was very stained. The beds had clean linens- no bugs or hairs in the sheets. The towels were clean but smelled of cigarettes. The floors in the bathrooms here seem to be heated, a nice extra. The people who work here are the nicest people you will meet anywhere- that in itself is worth the visit. Tonopah is a great historic mining town to visit- don't miss the Tonopah Mining Park, and there is a miner's cemetery right next door to the Clown motel. Lots of historic old buildings downtown. And--- the clearest skies at night to view the stars!!!!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank Lucy M
Fruita CO
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 December 2011

After a long day crossing central UT & NV -wide open spaces with fantastic geology and not much else, we were REALLY ready for a hot shower, a meal and a decent bed. It's a basic 'mom-n-pop' motel, but a VERY good value, and I like having the vehicle close by & safe. If you want predictable chain motels (and an elevated price) Tonopah has them...but I LIKE a little adventure & kitch. Room could use a little fresh paint and updated flooring, but was clean,comfortable, quiet and everything worked. Rooms have fridges/microwaves/tv's, A.M. coffee in the lobby (filled with clown collectibles.) The staffers were very friendly, attentive & informed.

The shower was THE BEST I've had traveling (even beat the $150-a-night Windham in Dallas and the $120-a-night Best Western Plus in Raton NM)...GREAT pressure & terrific hot water! (Tried to be respectful and limit my water use in the desert, but OH, so nice.)

Other stuff: An easy saunter down the street was a decent Mexican restaurant (El Marques)- good chile rellenos, fast, friendly service. The large, nicely surfaced motel parking lot is adjacent to the historic town graveyard, complete with veterans of the Civil War, those that lost their lives in mining accidents and to diptheria epidemics...Tonopah was/is a hardscrabble place, but it's interesting. Tonopah is real mix of history: silver, battelships, Wyatt Earp, Howard Hughes and the Stealth bomber. !

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
6 Thank edustin
Tucson
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2011

I've stayed at the Jim Butler, the former Silver Queen, and the Best Western. The Clown is $15 cheaper than any of the above. I don't know why Tripadvisor calls it a B&B; it's an older mom 'n pop motel offering basic lodging at a competitive price. It shows some wear and tear--but that's to be expected for under $38 for a single. I was told all rooms have two beds.

As mentioned by other reviewers, the clown decor stops outside the room. There is a fridge, microwave, and AM coffee in the office. I had no housekeeping or maintence issues. There is no highway or RR noise. I was particularly impressed with the efficient responses both by phone and email when I made my reservation, which I had to change--no problem.

For those who expect a fitness room and concierge service--drive another 200 miles to Las Vegas. For those seeking basic lodging at a low price, I recommend the Clown.

Miscellenia--the Clown is within walking distance of El Marques, a superb Mexican restaurant. It is adjacent to the orginal town graveyard; reading the poignent tombstone inscriptions gives one a vivid connection with the tough men and women who built up the country a century ago.
The nearby Tonopah mining museum is worth searching out for history affectionados.
The museum on the west side of the highway leaving town to the south is also interesting, and included WW2 items fromTonopah Army Air Force field.
As of Oct 2011 the Hotel Mizpah reopens--while I doubt if rooms with be as cheap as the Clown, this century-old historic hotel should be worth a visit.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank zundapp
Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2011

I have stayed here twice, with 3 dogs and have had a very pleasant stay each time. The people who run the Clown Motel are very helpful. Room includes a microwave and fridge. Tonopah is an interesting place to explore with it's mining history.......check out the Tonopah Mining Park........and don't forget the cemetery right next to the Clown Motel. And the clear skies at night are the best for viewing the stars in Tonopah. You simply cannot beat the low cost to stay here....great place!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Lucy M
Santa Barbara, CA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 September 2011

We come through Tonopah several times a year. That's what people do; Tonopah is not a destination, but a place to rest on your way to somewhere else. My requirements were few-- a decent A/C system, a decent bed, and quiet safety.
Well, the owner was nice, the bed was okay, but this is not a place I would return to. We were given a room on the second floor right next door to a guy who, I think, lived there. No window on that room, just a blanket and a weird room cooler. Big boots outside the door along with other junk. I would have felt nervous if I was a woman alone. We ended up having no problems with him, but this motel should not allow all this junk lying around.
The air conditioning and heating system was ancient and noisy. There were no holes in the walls (like at National 9) but everything was worn. There was a table with two chairs in the room and both chairs were completely trashed and held together with duct tape. We were really grossed out by the toilet seat. It was one of those squishy padded ones, and had multiple rips in it. Come on! Toilet seats are only a few bucks!
I had no problems with the clowns, the cemetary next door or the funkiness. What I had a problem with was basic necessary maintenance. Oh, and just like the other reviewer's experience, when I went to get some ice from the machine, it was broken. In 90 plus degree weather, we were not happy.
The next night we moved to Jim Butler Suites- much better. See my review on that place.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family