“Cheap rates, good room, close to the cemetery.”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Clown Motel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Tonopah
Clown Motel
Ranked #1 of 2 Tonopah B&B and Inns
Chloride, Arizona
“Cheap rates, good room, close to the cemetery.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2013

If you stay here and don't like it you must make a lot of bad choices. The sign out front says "Clown Motel, $35 per night, motorcycles welcome". The construction workers trucks are already there by 4 PM. How much more warning would you need?

We found the rooms clean and the place was quiet. The staff was a hoot. If you are afraid of clowns you'll find yourself out cold lying on the floor of the office. My wife still chides me because I checked in and did not notice hundreds of clown items.

If you decide to stay elsewhere at least pop your head in the door, say hello, so you can look around at the clown collection. There is a small price to pay for that as, although most rooms are non smoking, the office reeks of it.

Redneck adventure at its best!

Room Tip: Sleep tight, don't worry, your car will still be there in the morning.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Joe B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Gold Point, NV
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2013

The rooms are large. They are pet-friendly. They are knowledgeable about local history and events. They personally visit the local eateries and give accurate assessments. The price is low which is perfect for us because we sleep in our room. They provide hot coffee in the morning in the office. Rooms have refrigerators and microwaves. I have stayed at several motels & hotels in Tonopah, including the Mizpah and I keep returning to the clown.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
8 Thank Cindy S
Wellingborough, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2013

Interesting location.

Clowns on each door and hundreds of them in the office. I guess some would say that there are some in the guest rooms too.

Very cheap and therefore just what I needed at the time.

Yes there were quite a lot of energy workers staying here at close to the time of the previous review, but they didn't bother me and i was up at the same time as them anyway.

Room Tip: I was downstairs and the guy in the room above me walked around a lot - and the floor creaked a lot...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
4 Thank Mark A
Schaumburg, Illinois
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2013

I've stayed at the Clown many times from the early 90s to just a few months ago. The rooms have always been clean, a great value and a great view. And management and the help have been the greatest.

Unfortunately, now they are taking in the workers at the energy plants outside of town. Such obnoxious folks and I don't need to hear them yell all over the motel after hours. And they threatened to punch me out when I told them to quiet down at midnight. Management's answer is to shift me to another room. Well, I'm going to Tonopah Motel or someplace else when I'm in town. I really regret this as I miss the Clown as it used to be.

Room Tip: Try to El Marques Restaruant slightly up the street. Good food and good service if not during rush h...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
12 Thank Mark_S36669
Ajijic, Mexico
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2013

Funky, cheap, no ice machine, but clean and it is right next door to the not-to-miss Tonopah cemetary. They are rumored to have the biggest collection of porcelain clowns in the world. Not for the luxury traveler, but if you want a clean bed at a cheap price and stories to tell afterwards, this is your place.

Another no-miss in Tonopah is the old dump where they dumped all the trash when they leveled the bordellos--word is that once the matresses decayed, they found gold coins that had been stashed there. For the junk-collector or mixed media artists, some treasures can still be found. I found an old typewriter, rusted and corroded but still intact, old bottles. Would have liked to have spent all day there. The cemetary is another place to spend an hour or two, and if your traveling companions are not interested, they can sleep-in at the Clown motel next door as you go exploring. Take your camera. Google the story of why so many of the graves bear the same date--well, year at least. A mystery!

Room Tip: Try to at least saunter by the room of the guy who seems to live there. We thought it was a second...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Remi47
Prescott, Arizona
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2012

I have to say this is a crazy motel! The rates are very economical. The rooms are almost unbelievable! The bedding, linens and bathroom were clean. The carpet was old and stained, the chairs and furniture were repaired with duct tape as was the bathroom floor, (see picture). The soiled curtain on the front window was held closed by a safety pin. The paint on the wall was unfinished in the rear of the room. Guess they ran out of paint a couple years ago. I moved one of the chairs and a piece of wood from the chair fell to the floor. The TV was very old, but worked after messing with the remote, which had part of the back cover missing.
In the office is a nice large collection of clown dolls, It is a shame that they are dusty and dirty from lack of cleaning and care.

This is just a crazy place and funny at the same time due to the unorthadox, skimpy maintenance and upkeep.
I have to wonder what a foreigner might think visiting a place like this? Hope they don't get the idea this is typical or American motels!

I did have a good night rest and the bed was decent.

Give it a try! You will save some money and have a laugh when you talk about the experience later!

Visit the old cemetary next door!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
5 Thank Michael D
Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 October 2012

"Holy Carp, its a clown hotel!" I yelled to myself on one drive from points south to points north via Nevada and Tonopah...

I really thought, at this point in my drive, that I was hallucinating. It had been some time since I had done this drive, and back then the Clown Motel was shut down. But it was open, or so the spirits told me.

I was exhausted. I normally don't stay in Tonopah, but I had been on the road for three days, pushing hard to get across the southlands and into Reno before the weather really crapped on me.

And let me tell you cousin, this place was great.

Rooms are cheap. Rooms were clean. Proprietors are friendly. The HBO was on the TV, and I could grab a burger or a sandwich and sleep until the pink elephants stopped giving me traffic updates from Mars.

If you're on a long haul, and you're starting to have conversations with things that don't exist, take a nap at the Clown. You'll thank me later

Stayed November 2011, travelled solo