“A Step Back In Time” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Tonopah
Strawberry, California
“A Step Back In Time”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 October 2013

What a fabulous place to stay. We rode our Harleys from Strawberry CA to Tonopah and we spent our 28th Anniversary here and had a GREAT time. Very clean hotel, excellent food, great staff, Angel was very helpful and gave us a tour of the Lady in Red room and Wagon Wheel bed room. Our room was on the 4th floor with a great view. We enjoyed everything so much we stayed an extra night. We ate every meal there and we were never disappointed. Plenty to eat...the bar was a great time reasonable prices for a good size drink. We also did the Otteson mine tour and dug for turquoise, what a great time that was and we came away with many treasures. They are making a necklace for me with one of the turquoise pieces I found. The bonus was 10% off of the room and the mine tour if you did both! There is a lot of history in this town and the Tonopah Mining Park is a must. I can hardly wait to come back and stay. If you go to Tonopah do not miss this Beautiful place to stay......
Susan and Dave Parks

Room Tip: Top floor has a Great view
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
John M, General Manager at Mizpah Hotel, responded to this review, 25 October 2013
Dear Susan P,
I am so glad to hear that enjoyed your stay with us so much! I'll be sure to pass on your kind words to Angel and the rest of the staff. We're very proud of the property and are thrilled when our guests really enjoy it. Please visit with us again the next time you are through Tonopah.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (187)
Salt Lake City, Utah
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 October 2013

The Mizpah Hotel was a very pleasant surprise. The stone hotel was built between 1907 and 1908. The hotel was renovated and reopened to the public in 2011. The main lobby is decorated in a burgundy Queen Anne style with crystal chandeliers. The rooms are also decorated in this style. The beds and pillows were extremely comfortable. It was a very quiet and restful place to spend the night. The rooms have free wireless internet, cable television and in the morning the most delicious coffee is set out on a mahogany table on each of the hotels floors. The breakfast we had the next morning was very delicious, The chef did an excellent job and the scrambled eggs melted in your mouth. The hotel has 55 rooms, a cocktail lounge and gourmet restaurant. It also brags of famous guest such as Wyatt Earp, George Wingfield and Jack Dempsey to name a few. And if you enjoy a good ghost story the Lady in Red will intrigue you as she is said to roam the hotel. According to the story she met her demise by a jealous lover strangling and stabbing her to death in room 502. I highly recommend the Mizpah Hotel. I wish we could have stayed another night where we could lounge in the lobby and soak up the atmosphere for just a bit longer.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
John M, General Manager at Mizpah Hotel, responded to this review, 24 October 2013
Dear Agnetha 2011,
Thank you for your wonderful comments and recommendation. we're so glad that you enjoyed the hotel, restaurant and overall ambience. We look forward to your next visit with us.
Pendleton, Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2013

My wife and I wanted to experience a fun little place while we went star gazing. The Mizpah was very nice. The check in was easy, the staff great and the hotel very clean. I loved the old bank vault in the parlor. We ate dinner and breakfast there. I didn't enjoy the dinner. I had the fish and chips and it was bland. My wife enjoyed the steak though. However, the breakfast was excellent. I had an overstuffed omelet and hash browns while my wife had the ham and eggs. Kudos to the breakfast staff! Great time.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
John M, General Manager at Mizpah Hotel, responded to this review, 18 October 2013
Dear Nicholas A,
Thank you for your comments and I am so happy that you enjoyed your stay. The hotel is full of neat artifacts for the guests to experience. The vault is one of my favorites. I'm sorry you didn't like the fish and chips but I'll be sure to pass your glowing comments on to the breakfast staff! Thank you again and please come back and visit with us again.
New Oxford
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2013

We stayed here for a night traveling to Las Vegas from San Francisco. I cannot say enough about this hotel. It was the best place we stayed all along the West Coast. We came upon this town and were going to stay at the Best Western. My sister looked up the reviews and we thought better of it and stayed at the Mizpah Hotel. The dining was excellent and so was our breakfast. We would definitely make reservations ahead next time as they were filling up fast when we came that evening. I would just love to know what kind of Mattress you use as it was so comfy. Really enjoyed our stay at the Mizpah. I would highly recommend this Hotel.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
John M, General Manager at Mizpah Hotel, responded to this review, 15 October 2013
Dear Pam P,
I am so happy that you looked us up on Tripadvisor enjoyed your stay! Please feel free to contact me through our website at www.mizpahhotel.net and we'll get you the information on the mattresses. Thank you and please visit with us again.
San Jose, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2013

looking for a hotel in tonopah, az, after reading reviews of other hotels in this area, this one stood out. got a great price, rooms are clean and fresh, staff is really nice, they have a resturant and bar in the hotel. went to both. the food was good and fresh, and service was excellent. you will be surprised. they use natural soaps, have fresh coffee on each floor in the morning. what a great way to wake up. all i needed was a fresh pastry at my door. stayed with friends, and they really liked this place, also it is a non somking hotel. which is really nice, and no bad smells in the hotel. it is old but redone nice

Room Tip: read reviews before booking this really helps.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
John M, General Manager at Mizpah Hotel, responded to this review, 12 October 2013
Dear Fastvrod,
I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We strive to provide excellent service and are very proud of the job the Clines have done to restore the property. Thank you and please come back and visit with us again.
June Lake, California, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2013

We stayed in The Red Room and it was really red and I loved it! We ordered prime rib and got the last 2 end cuts, which disappointed the couple sitting next to us, although we became great friends that night, showed them and another nice couple our(red room) room and enjoyed partying the rest of the night with them. I will definitely come back. Oh and the bartender was very friendly, she had just been there a few months.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Dear Kathy P,
Thank you for your comments and I am glad that you enjoyed your stay in the Lady in Red room. We recently refurbished the room and we were happy with the results, more importantly is that you liked it! I'm glad to hear that you made some new friends here and we look forward to your return visit.
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2013

This is a classic hotel of the old west. Lots of velvet and brass. You can imagine a gunslinger dropping by for a drink at the bar.

The rooms are pretty simple, compact and spare.

The bed, pillows and bedding are okay. The shower and towels were fine. The toiletries were forgettable.

There's no microwave, fridge, coffee maker or iPod dock. Breakfast isn't included with the room, but there is food at the bar and in the restaurant.

The parking is free and in a lot behind the hotel if the closer spaces are taken.

It's the best hotel in Tonopah.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
Dear Thepackedbag,
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay with us. I appreciate your comments as we are always looking to improve. Being a historic hotel, our style is different from some of the more modern chain hotels in terms of in-room amenities you mention. Many of our guests do prefer the historic aspect of staying with us all the while we are still able to assist with special requests such as refrigeration or heating of certain foods. Our coffee service is especially well received by most guests as it is set in a quaint atmosphere in a nook on each floor. Again, I do appreciate your comments and I think we can look at the possibilities of upgrading some things such as the ipod docks. Thank you and we hope to see you back at the Mizpah again soon.