“"Return to those thrilling days of yesteryear!"”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Mizpah Hotel

Mizpah Hotel
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Tonopah
Rainier, Oregon
“"Return to those thrilling days of yesteryear!"”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2013

I have been driving US 95 for many years, and have watched the slow deterioration and rapid recovery of the Mizpah Hotel. Finally, I decided to stop and take a look. The public spaces have been renovated with a passion. Really looks like you're back in the Old West (Tonopah itself probably never left the Old West). I didn't have the time to spend the night - judging from other reviews, the rooms are small, but adequate - but I would like to do so, sometime. The hallway to the public restrooms is lined with autographed pictures of celebrities who have stayed here. Even more importantly, the canceled checks they used to pay for their rooms! (BTW, that quote, for you young people, is from the lead-in to the old Lone Ranger radio serials.)

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (189)
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2013 via mobile

I walked into the Jack Dempsey room about 10:30 am on a Wednesday. Was only offered a place at the bar. Ordered a mimosa. The 2 ladies bickered about who had a bartending license, how much to charge me, etc. Totally unprofessional. No excuse, even if it was one of the ladies "Friday" & time to go home. I looked@ the menu. Only lunch items. Again, the fighting about the other lady giving me the wrong menu. I had been in the restaurant before awhile ago & remembered that I liked their eggs Benedict so I ordered that again. It was ok. But the whole experience made me wish I hadn't come in. I enjoy staying in the hotel & I love the antiques. Just wish the restaurant would be what it should be in such a otherwise classy establishment.

Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank sarajonevada
John M, General Manager at Mizpah Hotel, responded to this review, 9 November 2013
Dear Sarajonevada,
Thank you so much for your feedback on your experience in the restaurant. Please allow me to apologize for the team members actions. We pride ourselves on a professional high quality experience for all of our guests but failed to do so in your case. Please don't let this be a barrier to a future visit to the Mizpah as I assure you that we will take care of you with the utmost professionalism. Again, thank you for your feedback as it is through the comments of our guests that we are better able to correct issues and improve.
Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2013

Do NOT, and we mean DO NOT, miss the opportunity to stay in this elegantly restored piece of Americana, simply rewarding, you will not regret the quality of the rooms (we stayed in 504, "The Lady in Red"), absolute perfection from the morning coffee, delightful old standing bar (with stools too!!), and a restaurant that will make Steve Wynn at the Encore in Las Vegas, cringe with envy!! Quality, Service, and did I say QUALITY? You won't believe the prices for such cuisine, sumptuous, you will love the servers, the ambiance, the Mizpah Hotel will make your trip to be completely unforgettable here in Nevada. We will be back again, and again, it's incredibly priced for the luxury given at every level.

Room Tip: Ask for either the "Wagon Room" or the "Lady in Red" room, we had the Lady in Re...
Reno, Nevada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2013

It was a great experience staying 2 nights at this nicely renovated old hotel in Tonopah, NV. It felt elegant and quaint, and sort of "european". It has a large authentic old bar furnished in the way it probably was when first built, and their food at the restaurant was quite good. You are can easily imagine the it is actually the early 1900's as you relax in the bar or in your room. Also, the staff is very friendly and helpful.
The hotel is located just outside the gates of the old Tonopah mine area (Mizpah is the name of one of the mines) where you can watch a movie about the mines and tour most of the areas.
My only complaints were that they had plastic, not glass glasses in the rooms, and no black out shades on the windows which allowed a lot of light past the side of the curtains from the spotlights on the outside of the hotel. I understand they are in the process of putting real glasses in the rooms, and I hope they consider the black out shades.
If you are going to or through Tonopah, I would highly recommend staying here!

Room Tip: Until they get the black out shades, I would recommend staying in the south side rooms if you like y...
Dear Philip S,
Thank you for your comments and I am so glad that you enjoyed your stay at the Mizpah! You will be happy to know that we now have glass glasses in every room. We do have a few rooms where the light comes in and are working on a solution. Thank you so much for your recommendation and please come back to visit with us soon.
West Linn
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2013

We arrived in Tonopah late in the afternoon. It was chilly and windy and we were a little road weary. We'd checked online and found a hotel in downtown Tonopah and at that moment saw the place right next to us. I went into the lobby and no one was there. I rang the bell, no response. I waited and tried again. Nothing.
Next door was the Mizpah. It looked like a nice place but I wasn't wanting to spend too much for a room. Just the same I went to the desk and from just walking in I knew we'd enjoy a stay. They had one room (they said), a mini-suite on the 3rd floor. We were impressed. It was decorated with a mix of antiques and reproductions. The carpet, drapes, towels, everything was in top condition, very clean and opulent in what I imagine the style of the early 20th century. The room was quiet, well heated, and extremely comfortable in every way. It was not cheap, but a similar room in Portland, where we live, would have cost 2x or 3x as much.
Quibbles: The wrap around shower curtain in the claw-foot tub made it very difficult to shower. The water pulled the curtain in and made it very difficult to shower with the curtain clinging to the body. This needs to be fixed now. And there were plumbing problems with the hot water that they were well aware of. Small issues like this can ruin a huge investment.
The food. Well, it just wasn't up to the standards of the property. It was ok but lacked attention to detail and was uninteresting. Also, the dining room was tied up for some private function and we ate in in rather run down, patchwork coffee shop sort of space. The service was passable but that's all that can be said. Nice people though.

Room Tip: Room 502 has a ghost. ;-)
1 Thank Mike L
Halifax, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2013

We decided to book a night at Mizpah after reading reviews on Trip advisor...What a great find. The hotel has been beautifully renovated and the over night stop we had there became the highlight of our American road trip. Thanks!

2 Thank Ali A
John M, General Manager at Mizpah Hotel, responded to this review, 29 October 2013
Dear Ali A,
I am so happy that we made your trip to Nevada the best! Please come back and visit us the next time you are stateside!
Ohio, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2013

We stumbled upon the Mizpah on accident and in desperation. We were lucky enough to get the last room available in the last hotel in Tonopah. Absolutely loved the property and it's history. The room was gorgeous right down to the plumbing fixtures. The only issue we had was the restaurant. One bad server really will leave an impression with a guest. We entered the restaurant to witness a waitress having a fit and slamming things around. She then proceeded to leave us sit for a very, very, very long time. Apparently busing empty tables was her priority that evening. Finally another server took pity on us and fixed us up. Would stay there again, but would probably skip the restaurant.

1 Thank JinGii
Dear JinGii,
Thank you for your comments and I'm glad that you loved the property and your room. Please allow me to apologize for the service you experienced with the server in the restaurant. We pride ourselves on providing great service in all areas of the hotel but certainly did not do so in your case. We would love to see you back again the next time you are through the area.