“A wonderful surprise in a fascinating town”
Review of Mizpah Hotel

Mizpah Hotel
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Tonopah
The Sea Ranch, CA
“A wonderful surprise in a fascinating town”
Reviewed 5 January 2014 via mobile

We happened on the hotel by mistake when we decided to have lunch in the restaurant before checking in at a motel close by. We instantly fell in love with the ambience. The owners are from Sonoma County with long roots in Tonopah and have lovingly restored this hotel to destination in itself. We had a dog and he was very welcomed even with a welcoming package including a toy which he loved. They showed me three rooms and they were all spectacular. Antiques in the rooms, plush like new carpeting, comfy beds and ten foot plus ceilings. Very quiet night. The smallest rooms were small but ample for two people. We wanted a larger room and it was delightful, room 303 with double wind does on two sides. The restaurant is not as lovely as the hotel and an upgrade would be fine, but the food was quite good and lots of choices. The wine choice was wonderful including several of the owners excellent Sonoma vintages we will go back there again and highly recommend the hotel. We were on our way from Zion toward Sacramento so the back roads were fast and full of amazing views. If you heading to Las Vegas or vicinity from anywhere near Reno, Sacramento, Tahoe, etc., stop here for a night. The bar and lounge is a knockout as well. The hotel reminds me of a smaller version of the SF Fairmont, plush carpets, dark woods, and history. Go there!

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Cmorgank
John M, General Manager at Mizpah Hotel, responded to this review, 7 January 2014
Dear Cmorgank,
Thank you so much for your comments and recommendation! We're very happy that you enjoyed your stay. The restoration of the property was a labor of love for the Cline family and we're very proud of the results. Please come back and visit with us again soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (192)
Rock Creek
Reviewed 1 January 2014

We stayed here overnight on a road trip to Arizona. We had a reservation and everything went smoothly at the front desk. We had our dog with us and after a brief discussion, she was welcome too. The inside of the hotel is warm and welcoming with lots of dark wood. The bar and common areas are really inviting. The room we had was a king, a little tight around the bed but the heat (it was cool outside) and ventilation worked extremely well. We've stayed in older hotels and often the ventilation is very poor - not so here. Also, even though the hotel was fully booked, the room was very quiet. Good solid doors and windows that cut down any noise from the outside. I would not hesitate to stay here again. My only (minor) concern is the restaurant. The setting is not up to the standard of the rest of the hotel - it feels like a cafeteria. If the restaurant had the same ambiance as the bar, it would be much nicer. Also, the food was average. Stepping up their game in the restaurant would make this an amazing place to stay.

Room Tip: The room we had was on the west side, not on the main street and was very quiet.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank wegetaround_42
John M, General Manager at Mizpah Hotel, responded to this review, 6 January 2014
Dear wegetaround,
Thank you for your comments and I'm so glad you enjoyed your stay with us. We are constantly looking to upgrade all of our facilities and will continue to do so with the restaurant. Thank you again and please come back and visit with us again soon.
Littleton, Colorado
Reviewed 19 December 2013

I stayed at this hotel on a recent business trip and was pleasantly surprised with the wonderful accomodations. I was not expecting such a well restored and well managed hotel in the town of Tonopah. The hotel is an attraction itself with it's unique history and reputation of being haunted. The rooms were very comfortable and well appointed with furnishings and decorations to match the historical character of the hotel. The restaurant and bar were fabulous. And all of this was for a very reasonable price.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Mike V
John M, General Manager at Mizpah Hotel, responded to this review, 21 December 2013
Dear Mike,
Thank you so much for your comments! We're very proud of our restoration and work hard to provide excellent service. I am very happy that you enjoyed your stay. Please come back and visit with us the next time you are through Tonopah.
Gardnerville, Nevada
Reviewed 30 November 2013

We escaped our everyday busy lives to this wondrous sanctuary of time past! If one wants to disconnect from being "connected," this is the place to go and feel the history of days past. The moment one steps through the front door visions of the early 1900's come to life! Thank you to the Cline's for preserving history and making this hotel the elegance of today and also what is was in it's original grandeur. Rooms are simple elegance with very, very comfortable beds. We spent our evening in the Lobby and the Bar and revived the 'art of conversation' with strangers and also between us. Staff was great in friendliness, service and going above and beyond. We asked if we could tour the Jack Dempsey room which is open for special events and parties and our request was granted. Would love to return and spend an evening dining there.

We ate dinner at the lobby bar and were impressed with the quality of food served in a town 'out in nowhere.' Got to try the calamari and mushroom appetizers. 'To die for.' Prime rib special was fantastic. Next morning we ate in Pittman Café and had a breakfast that fueled us up for the drive back home. It was excellent!

We heard stories about spirits and the Lady in Red and stayed in that room. We did have pleasant experience happen if you believe in spirits!

We can't wait to return and relax again, take a good book and sit in the lobby and melt into early 1900 elegance.

Room Tip: Room 502 "Lady in Red"
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
John M, General Manager at Mizpah Hotel, responded to this review, 2 December 2013
Dear KO,
I am so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us from the rooms to the food to the ambience! The Cline family truly did a superb job in renovating the property and I am happy that so many of our guests enjoy it. Please come back and visit with us again.
Layton, Utah
Reviewed 22 November 2013

Hotel was completely sold out on a Tuesday night in November. I was glad I had advance reservations. Apparently there is a large solar project being constructed in the nearby desert, and the workers are staying at this hotel.

They did a tremendous job remodeling the hotel. One of the only antique things you will experience is the slow elevator! The rooms are well appointed and the beds very comfy. You can drown out the person snoring in the room next to you by setting your AC control to "fan" (true story). The bathroom was completely modern and the shower is great (not like the Death Valley "misters").

Front desk staff was helpful.

I was worried about the parking behind the hotel because there is a sign "not responsible for damage....". But the construction trucks took up the few spaces beside the hotel; everyone else has to park in back. I was relieved to find my rental car undamaged the next morning, but I may have lost a little sleep worrying about it.

There is a fitness center with a treadmill, elliptical, and bicycle. I could not get the treadmill to work. There is a TV, but no water. There was an empty hot tub in the room.

The bar was full of construction types when I was there.

The "fine dining" may be "fine" by Tonopah standards, but just above a diner for most communities. I dressed up for dinner, but was surrounded by men with T shirts and work boots.

I loved the idea of staying in such an old hotel with all modern appointments. I hope the owners continue to thrive.

Visit the outdoor mining museum behind the hotel. It is REALLY interesting and worth walking around!

Room Tip: Take the steps instead of the elevator when you can. The steps are wide; the elevator is very slow.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
Douglas
Reviewed 22 November 2013

I was traveling alone and spent one night of my journey at the Mizpah. I hadn't been through Tonopah since 1968, so had no idea what to expect. I loved everything about the Mizpah. It's been beautifully and authentically preserved with all the right touches and flourishes. You can definitely feel the love put into the restoration. Thank you, Cline family, for saving this treasure!
I chose a small queen room, which was perfect...on the third floor overlooking the main drag. It was beautifully furnished and very clean.
I arrived in the early afternoon, and after getting settled, went down to the bar and enjoyed some beer and conversation with the bartenderness. Sorry, I didn't get her name, but she was very knowledgeable about Tonopah's history, and stories of the restoration and things to come. I had dinner there, which was delicious. I had planned on going down later to check out the night life, but once I got back to my cozy room, I just jammied up and snugged in for the night. Very comfy and cozy. I hated to leave!
Had breakfast the next morning before leaving...just oatmeal, but it was just right. My waitress was very friendly, as was the gal at the front desk. Well, everyone that I had any contact with there was very nice and helpful. A young man offered to carry my luggage, but I just had a backpack.
You can have a beautiful place, but if your staff isn't friendly, people won't be back. But, as Arny said..."I'll be back!"

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
North Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 18 November 2013

My wife and I stayed a night. The room was one of the quietest I have stayed in, with a comfortable bed, and crisp, nice sheets. Gorgeous inside, with historic western silver-mining opulence in the lobby. Nice touch with free coffee available on each floor's lobby. The only thing lacking was a fancy restaurant, but we had the fried chicken dinner (I think it was the Thursday night regular special), which was tasty. The owners have their own California vineyard and offer their excellent wine.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
John M, General Manager at Mizpah Hotel, responded to this review, 20 November 2013
Dear Eclecticchooser,
I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We take great pride in having renovated and brought the property back to its original grandeur and glory. Please come back and visit with us again soon.