“Fun Visit”

Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Tonopah
Elko, Nevada
“Fun Visit”
Reviewed 22 March 2014

This hotel has been recently remodeled and the rooms are very comfortable. The style is a bit old fashioned, which only adds to the charm of the place. The beds were really comfortable. I slept like a rock that night. We stayed in the George Wingfield room, which was a king bed, but we had no ghostly encounters during our stay. This was a fun place though and if I'm ever in Tonopah again, I'll definitely stay here. The restaurant is pretty decent too.

1 Thank Rue C
John M, General Manager at Mizpah Hotel, responded to this review, 26 March 2014
Rue,
Thank you for your comments and I'm so glad you enjoyed your visit with us. We look forward to your next visit.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (190)
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 18 March 2014

You can see and feel the love and care the new owners have put into the Mizpah for it's revitalziation. We flew into Tonopah "Intergalactic" Airport expressly to stay there. When we called on arrival, we were picked up by Food & Beverage Manager Rich on a Sunday afternoon, and dropped back off at the airport Monday morning by Administrative Assistant Fawn, both very nice folks. While we were there, we were warmly welcomed and helped by Front Desk staffers Ashley and Jennipher who also added some local history. I know it must be difficult staffing a quality hotel from a small town of only 4,000 residents, but everyone was very, very nice. I was a little concerned about the Pittman Cafe from past reviews, but both lunch and dinner on a Sunday were brought fairly promptly and were very good. We're not "easy," since my wife is a vegetarian, and I was on a zero carb diet! The Salisbury Steak I had was terrific. We had some small problems in Room 507 that probably come from trying to maintain a hundred year old hotel.... CBS-TV had picture only, and loud buzzing instead of sound. The hotel maintainance man came by when called, but told us there was nothing he could do....it was their satellite and would be like that in all rooms. So no "The Good Wife" for my wife:-) Also the toilet "ran" all night with the sound of filling water, until we opened it the next morning and "jiggled" some parts. Room was pretty small and pretty much filled by a King bed. The brochure says "complimentary breakfast," but we were told that no longer exists. Free Wifi worked fine. The complimentary coffee with REAL cups out in the hallway in the morning was a very nice touch and we both enjoyed it. Wish I weren't on the diet, since the Victorian Bar and craft beer choices looked wonderful!

Room Tip: Fifth floor was very nice, and yes, there's even a hundred year old elevator that works just fin...
1 Thank Bill G
Bill,
Thank you for your comments and we're so glad you enjoyed your stay with us. You are right that it is hard to staff in such a small town but we're very proud of the team here. I'll be sure to pass your praise onto Rich, Fawn, Ashley and Jennipher, they're all great folks. My apologies regarding the TV and the few other inconveniences you mentioned. We had a modulator go bad in the satellite system that caused the issue with the CBS channel. I am happy to report that we have replaced the part and the system is running fine now. Please come back and visit us anytime!
Carson City, Nevada
Reviewed 14 March 2014

The hotel has been restored to current day standards but maintains the charm of a historical location. Topnopah is like going back in history and the hotel significantly adds to the charm. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The junior suite was large with a very comfortable bed. I was disappointed that the Dempsey dining room was only open for special occasions. The coffee shop offered very good meals, however the kitchen was very slow completing the orders. The bar and lounge area is large and has a great victorian feel. This lis by far the nicest place to stay and dine in town.

2 Thank lillyb11
John M, General Manager at Mizpah Hotel, responded to this review, 17 March 2014
Dear LillyB11,
Thank you for your comments and I'm very happy that you enjoyed your stay with us. Please come back and visit with us the next time you are through Tonopah.
Mammoth Lakes, California
Reviewed 12 March 2014

Tonopah is now more than just a stopover on the highway between Las Vegas and Reno. The interesting history of this "wild west" mining town in the high desert has been lovingly created in rich detail in this restored historical hotel. When the hotel was first built many years ago it was the gem of Tonopah; it now is again. Although the rooms are generally small, everything seems historically accurate and yet the hotel is completely modern in terms of its amenities. Friendly staff. The restaurant food is good, not gourmet. What a treat!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SierraWanderer2013
Dear Sierra Wanderer,
Thank you so much for your kind words. We are very proud of our renovation and I am so glad they you enjoyed the hotel. Come back and visit with us again soon!
Twin Falls, Idaho
Reviewed 4 March 2014 via mobile

That wondrful old feeling of luxury and olden days extravagance was the immediate feeling we got. the owners have done an excellent job of keeping what is the best of the old glamour of the hotel while updating it subtly to our modern conveniences. Our bed was cozily covered in a down comforter with enough pillows for an army. There is no coffee in the room, but just down the ornately decorated hall is a well appointed table with a coffee service and REAL cups. We appreciated also the owners' mindfulness of the environment in their approach. The restaurant was a little pricey, but the food was tasty and we had one grumpy waitress, but the staff at the front desk were
cheery and made us feel welcome. Would stay tgere again in a heartbeat.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Melody_L938
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 2 March 2014

We stayed at the Mizpah hotel on Valentine's Day. We luckily had made a reservation ahead of time so we were able to get our two rooms. The rooms are definitely older which is to be expected as this is more of a period hotel. My room had a queen size bed and a claw foot tub. I used the shower in the tub, and it was fine but care should be taken getting in and out as it is taller than a normal tub. The bed was great, and I slept really well. Who would have thought that a hotel in Tonopah would be so packed...it was crazy. We went to the bar and shared a bottle of wine which was quite good. I was also surprised to find that the bar stocked both high-end single malt scotch and tequila. There was a special dinner going on in a second restaurant, but we could not get in. We ate in the regular restaurant. The food was very good but they were understaffed so it took a little longer than expected. Not a big deal as the hotel is probably experiencing some growing pains. As I said, who would have expected so many folks at a hotel in Tonopah. I plan on visiting again with my husband so he can see it.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 1 March 2014

My wife and I stayed here for one night February 19. The front desk people were friendly and efficient and we had a very nice room, but the dining room experience turned out to be horrible. Despite there being few people in the restaurant for dinner at 6 PM we waited nearly an hour and a half for our dinner to be served and finally gave up. The server apologized--apparently they lost our order and then they found it and put a "rush" on it, but after another half hour we told them we wanted to just pay for our drinks and appetizer. We purposely wanted an early dinner to be able to go to our room and watch the Olympics and this was very disappointing to say the least. My sister told us if we eat here to order something simple (and we did--chicken fried steak). I would go a step further and recommend skipping the food here--there is good Chinese and Mexican fare to be had down the road from here!! We also had a Burger King breakfast in the morning as we were anxious to get on the road.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Richard F
John M, General Manager at Mizpah Hotel, responded to this review, 3 March 2014
Dear Richard F,
Please allow me to apologize for the poor service you described on your recent visit. What you've described is completely out of character for the service that we normally provide. I've sent you a private note and hope to hear from you. On the other hand I am glad that you enjoyed the room and service provided at the front desk.
Again, our apologies