“Wonderful historic hotel”

Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Tonopah
Oakland, California
“Wonderful historic hotel”
Reviewed 24 April 2014

We stayed one night at the Mizpah Hotel and thought it was delightful. It is an historical hotel, built in the early 1900's and lovingly restored by the Cline family who had relatives who lived there in the hotel's heyday. The downstairs lobby and bar are beautiful, the beds and bed linens are wonderful and the staff is enthusiastically helpful. We highly recommend the hotel for anyone visiting Tonopah.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (196)
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 22 April 2014

The landscape between Reno and Vegas is pretty desolate, so to reach Tonopah and the Mizpah Hotel is a welcome relief. The hotel itself has been restored to its previous glory. It is impressive for a small mining town in the "middle of nowhere". Jack Dempsey, former champion boxer, Howard Hughes and Chuck Yaeger (first to break the sound barrier) were all supposedly here.

Then there is the legend that it is haunted. A prostitute was murdered on the 5th floor here by one of her lovers who went into a jealous rage. People claim that chandeliers rattle and stairs creak. Interestingly, we were woken upa knock on the door at 12:30 am but no one was there.

The room was very nice, though too small for the large king size bed. Also the hotel could use some better access for the older person or the disabled at the entrance way. Otherwise we enjoyed the experience.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Ely L
bend, oregon
Reviewed 16 April 2014

We spent one night at the Mizpah on our way back from Phoenix to Oregon. Recommended by a friend. Like going back in time. Really get a sense of the old west. Nice rooms, comfortable atmosphere. Room itself was good sized and nicely furnished. Staff was very friendly. Only down side is the fact that sound travels between the rooms. We were awakened at 5:00AM when the folks in the next room took a shower! All in all a very good experience. If you are ever in Tonopah, this is the place to stay.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank gbscone
Sparks, Nevada
Reviewed 8 April 2014

I felt like I'd stepped back in time on this, my first visit to the Mizpah. Excellent service! Jennifer (Jenny) was my first point of contact at the hotel and I had the pleasure of meeting her upon my arrival. Everyone was professional; from the kitchen staff and housekeeping staff to the front desk staff--and very helpful! I'm so glad that I spent a bit more to stay at this hotel because it was worth every penny. My only complaint is their WiFi. I could only connect one device at a time to the WiFi and sometimes it didn't work well. I wondered if the ghosts were playing games with my technology Lol. I'm looking forward to my next stay and have already made my next reservation.

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank ElaIsBorn
John M, General Manager at Mizpah Hotel, responded to this review, 16 April 2014
Thank you so much for your comments and we're glad you enjoyed your stay! Jenny truly is a wonderful team member and we're luckty to have someone of her caliber here at the Mizpah. My apologies regarding the WIFI however we do have the ability for our guests to connect multiple devices to the system. Just ask the front desk staff next time you are in for the secondary sign on. Thank you again and we look forward to your next visit.
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 25 March 2014

After reading all these fabulous reviews I am truly surprised by the service I received this morning by the Hotel Manager, Donna. My Husband has just started working on the solar plant just outside of Tonopah. This very small town has minimal lodging and cannot accommodate the 900 workers that are at this plant. Due to that fact, he was forced to book this week's 3 day stay at 2 different hotel's, one of them being the Mizpah for Tuesday. The Mizpah has the highest rates in town but was the only room available for Tuesday. The hotel he stayed in on Monday had a cancellation & asked if he wanted the room, meaning he would have the same room for 3 nights instead of having to check out for 1 night, stay at the Mizpah, then check back out & move to the original hotel. Donna absolutely refused to vary from the 24 hour cancellation policy & was not even open to discussion. The conversation with her was only an argument on my side for allowing the convenience of staying in the same hotel for 3 nights and a cheaper room rate. Her argument; the workers get per diem (which is $70 a day, the room rate is $100) & that she personally drives 30 miles to work & pays for her own food & does not receive per diem. She offered to cancel the room but was still going to charge for it. She also said if she sold the room she would consider refunding the money. She also said she had turned away 20 people for this room in the past week. With rooms at SUCH a premium & the demand so high I am pretty sure she could have sold this room. I have been wanting to experience the Mizpah since it's reopening but not so sure now.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
5 Thank Dissapointed288
galtgirl, Owner at Mizpah Hotel, responded to this review, 27 March 2014
As you point out, Tonopah has a large number of workers who are scrambling for beds...They are not scrambling for our great service, our cleanliness, our ambience, our victorian decor, our attention to detail, although many appreciate it...but many just want a bed. On any given night we can have ten cancellations by workers who are shopping for the cheapest bed.When we are left with open rooms, we lose money due to staffing. More importantly, we also lose those customers that want to stay with us, but cant due to the reservations made by "the shoppers" We pride ourselves on always honoring a reservation, and serving those that stay with us. We are not the cheapest in town, but we strive to be the best, and we love to serve those that appreciate good service.Our cancellation fee is our last resort if we cant fill a room, and have turned down other loyal guests to honor a reservation which we take in good faith. We hope you'll stay with us when your looking for comfort and quality service, as we will not disappoint you.
Gardnerville, Nevada
Reviewed 24 March 2014

We spent the night of 03-20-14 at the Mizpah, and what a lovely experience it was! We applaud Fred and Nancy Cline for their loving restoration and attention to detail in this fabulous old building. If only the walls could talk!!
We had dinner and the following day's breakfast at the dining room and found the food to be good. The service was excellent and the waitresses were so friendly!
Staying at the Mizpah was like stepping back in history. We could almost hear the gold miners at the bar, boasting about their latest dig!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Julie P
John M, General Manager at Mizpah Hotel, responded to this review, 26 March 2014
Julie,
Thank you for your comments and we're so happy you enjoyed your special day! The renovation truly was a labor of love for Fred and Nancy and we're very proud of the property. Thank you for visiting and Happy Anniversary!
Elko, Nevada
Reviewed 22 March 2014

This hotel has been recently remodeled and the rooms are very comfortable. The style is a bit old fashioned, which only adds to the charm of the place. The beds were really comfortable. I slept like a rock that night. We stayed in the George Wingfield room, which was a king bed, but we had no ghostly encounters during our stay. This was a fun place though and if I'm ever in Tonopah again, I'll definitely stay here. The restaurant is pretty decent too.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Rue C
Rue,
Thank you for your comments and I'm so glad you enjoyed your visit with us. We look forward to your next visit.