“A jewel in the desert”
Review of Mizpah Hotel

Mizpah Hotel
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Tonopah
Reviewed 20 August 2014

The Mizpah is head and shoulders above the other accommodations in town in terms of style and luxury. That isn't difficult in such a small city; but even in absolute terms we found it a very positive experience, having earlier tried the cinder-block motels that are the alternatives. Our room was large and well furnished, and everything worked as it should. Service at the restaurant was a little bumpy, probably from inexperience; at dinner our waitress canceled our order in the new computer system when she meant to confirm it, which delayed things till sorted out. When we went down for breakfast the next morning, the whole staff was (I guess) in the kitchen; after waiting several minutes, we abandoned the effort. But this is Tonopah, not Manhattan or San Francisco, and it's best not to expect silken-smooth service. Friendly, yes; highly professional, not so much. I expect they will learn in time. And the place is full of history, including a reported ghost ("the lady in red"). We enjoyed our stay, and if we are in Tonopah again this would be our first choice.

Room Tip: There are different levels of size and amenities (and price), but no special advantages to one room...
1  Thank ronks
There are newer reviews for Mizpah Hotel

Reviewed 18 August 2014

We needed to find a place to stay between Vegas and Reno, and this hotel had the best reviews, so we decided to stay. Just the historical factor was amazing enough, but then you add the friendly service and comfortable rooms, it was worth the stay. The only reason for not giving it 5 stars is that you can hear the surrounding rooms (or was it the ghosts?). We hope to be back!

• Stayed: August 2014
Reviewed 11 August 2014

My Wife, Daughter (just turned 13) and I enjoyed a great night at the Mizpah hotel in Tonopah, NV. We arrived after a long day of searching out Ghost Towns (which my wife called the death march) we arrived just before Sunset at the Mizpah. It was built in the early 1900's and when built was the highest building in Nevada. Recently purchased and renovated, the hotel has to be the finest hotel between Reno and Las Vegas. I loved the old feel of the building, but everything that needed to work functioned well.

Several rooms have some history and that history was celebrated in small plaques outside the room. Ours belonged to a boxing promoter, my favorite was the room on the 5th floor where "The Lady in Red" was murdered by a jealous lover/client (yes, she was a professional). My wife and I played up all the stories to our 13 YO, who heard creeks, said lights turned off and on on their own, and became friends with the ghost in our room. I do have to admit that our dog (yes, the hotel is very dog friendly to the point of supplying Doggie goodie bags at check in) woke me up in the middle of the night whimpering and acting like she had just seen a ghost, but that is for another trip I guess.

We ate dinner there, food was good, and since the current owners are from Napa there was a good selection of their wine. The beer was cold, what's not to like?

Only issue we had was our room was right next to the Hotel Sign. For a moment I felt like Kramer in the Seinfeld episode where the chicken place moved in next door, but the curtains blocked enough light so I could sleep and my wife wore her mask so she was fine. Just saying you may want to check that if you end up on the 2nd floor.

Service was good, great bar, beautiful hotel, I look forward to visiting again.

Room Tip: Front side might have too much light, at least on the 2nd floor. Front also faces US 95, the main...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 August 2014

We stayed one night at the hotel while traveling from Bryce Canyon to Yosemite. First impression was a very beautiful hotel obviously having a long history. Our plan was to have a romantic dinner at the restaurant and we hurried up to get dressed. Unfortunately, the restaurant was closed and apparently it's only open on special occasions (though I don't recall this being listed on the web site). We ended up being seated in the cafe - definitely overdressed and subject to a rather modest service while having our dinner. The waitresses were polite but simply lacked the training and knowledge that you'd expect from working at such a nice hotel. It felt like being part of a comedy show. In the morning we checked for alternative breakfast options to avoid same experiences as the evening before but Tonopah is quite limited and we went back and actually a nice breakfast.

2  Thank Peter Z
Reviewed 9 August 2014

What a wonderful time we had. Of all the old hotels I've stayed at, this was by far the best! So much history in the town and the hotel. The current owners did a fantastic job at restoring this hotel to its current beautiful condition. Definitely took me back in time and made me feel like one of the the wealthy guests that once stayed there.
Upon check-in, we met Jennipher. What a great employee they have! She was very friendly and helpful! Then at checkout, we met Brianna. Another great employee! I hope they know what an asset they have in these two great ladies.
We stayed on the fourth floor, in room 401. This room had a queen and king bed. Very, very comfortable. From the bed down to the bedding. It had a nice updated bathroom with an old clawfoot tub. Room also had a small 'bar' area in it.
Hotel has a cafe located in it, The Pittman Cafe. Food is delicious! After a great dinner we then had a couple of drinks at the bar area. Friendly staff can also be found here too.
OVERALL STAY - AWESOME!

Room Tip: Can't go wrong with any room. For ghost hunters, I heard the 5th floor has lots of activity.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 August 2014

This is the second trip that my fiancee and myself have spent at the Mizpah. We have both decided that every time we visit Vegas that we have to take a trip up to Tonopah to stay at the Mizpah. The ride north from Vegas is beautiful with scenery and also the towns that you travel through.

Our stay in The Lady in Red Room was on July 2nd. I booked the room back in February just to make sure that we were able to stay in this room. This room is absolutely gorgeous and the entire hotel transfers you back into the early 1900s. The staff has been amazing at this stay and the food at the Pittman Cafe is excellent so be sure to eat there no matter if it's breakfast, lunch, or dinner. I recommend that when you call for reservations to see if this room is available. It was an awesome experience even though we didn't have any ghostly encounters.

Thanks again Mizpah and Tonopah for another great experience. We will be back next year!

1  Thank Jimmy S
Reviewed 8 August 2014

I was super, super excited for our one night at the Mizpah on our recent road trip. Its history and reputation was familiar to me, and my husband was a bit skeptical because he thinks I'm silly about being intrigued by supernatural things. But once we arrived, he was pleasantly surprised. The history of the building is incredibly and I love that they honor and maintain it still. We were in a king room on the top floor. I loved that our room was "named" for someone historic involved with the hotel. The room was small, but I think that was part of the charm and historic quality. The bathroom was a good size, however. We explored our floor a bit, stopping by the Lady in Red's room. We had dinner downstairs in the Pitmann Cafe, and it was a good meal. Sadly, no ghost experiences for us while we were there, but I loved our stay.

Room Tip: A stay on the fourth or fifth floors insures a good view of the town and also the opportunity to be...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple