“Saw the wild horses!”

Wild West Tour from Lake Tahoe with Train Ride
Ranked #1 of 7 Tours in Virginia City
Type: Rail Tours, Tours
More attraction details
Owner description: The V&T offers two options:From Virginia City: Seven (7) daily 35-minute narrated steam train tours taking visitors through the heart of the historic Comstock mining region to historic Gold Hill and return.From the Carson City area: A 6 hour adventure to and in Virginia City, including a round trip on the V&T behind diesel on Friday and steam on Saturday and Sunday. Approximately 90 minutes on the train and the remainder of the time in historic Virginia City.See our website for full details.
Norden, California, United States
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Saw the wild horses!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2013

I really like this train ride, it's a great way to see the history of the Comstock Lode area. Also they just bought the old station and said it would be open soon, I want to go back and see the interior, it is supposed to have the original tickets counter and waiting room according to photos on their Facebook page at facebook.com/virginiatruckee

Minneapolis, Minnesota
425 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 553 helpful votes
“Interesting ride - better than expected”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2013

The Virginia and Truckee Railroad’s F Street depot is located on F Street, a few blocks east of Virginia City’s Main Street (or C Street). They have set up an old rail car on C Street as a ticket office and you can get information and buy tickets there before walking down to the depot (or you can buy tickets at the depot). If you drive to the station they have a big parking lot with very few cars in it.

This small railroad has two routes and you can go on the 35 minute shorter trip from Virginia City to Gold Hill and back for $9 or you can travel to Virginia City from Carson City and back for $48 (3 hour round trip). Since my wife and I were already in Virginia City we just went on the shorter trip to Gold Hill. The railroad has a diesel locomotive and an old fashioned steam powered locomotive and the diesel engine was used for our trip (I believe the diesel engine is for the shorter trip and the steam engine is used for the longer, Carson City trip). Expect to pay more if you are on a trip with the steam engine.

My wife and I went on a Tuesday afternoon and it was not busy (the train was about half full). The trip is interesting as the conductor is also the tour guide and pointed out the old mines. He spoke the entire trip and was extremely knowledgeable about all the sights along the way. It was interesting way to hear and see the top of the mines and to learn about the Comstock Lode. In addition, since our feet were sore, it was nice to see some the local sights while sitting down .

I enjoyed the trip and it was actually better than expected (I thought it would be really lame). I am glad we went on the shorter ride as the other one sounds way too long.

Visited July 2013
Austin, Texas
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Loved it”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2013

It was a blast to ride a real steam train (and not a diesel acting like a steam train.) through the mountains surrounding Virginia City. The sounds smells and views all made it the perfect way to step back into the late 1800's...everything looked darn close to what US Grant and Mark Twain would have seen back when they too where passengers on this line. Very cool indeed!

Homedale, Idaho
34 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“Great Wine Train Trip on Saturday Evening”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2013

I took this short train ride to see if I wanted to pay the money to take the round trip from Carson City to Virginia City. This trip was a Steam Engine trip that went from Carson City to the Canyon. It was a short ride past the town of Mound House. The narrator was excellent! Riesling and Chardonay were the two wine selections. There were appetizers from the Thai resturant in Carson City that coordinated well with the wine. The wine and food was plentiful and good. It was an excellent introduction to Steam Engine Train transportation. The carriages have windows that open there is no additional air conditioning.

1 Thank Randy M
Lake Havasu City, Arizona
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Nevada Trip 2013”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2013

My wife and I took the train trip from Carson City to Virginia City and back. The trip was great and we enjoyed it thoroughly. Not only was it great to see the old mines, wild horses and tunnels, the narrator did an excellent job pointing out the various sights and giving us a great history lesson on the area. We spent three hours in Virginia City prior to our return to Carson City. We played tourists while there. We shopped, gambled and walked up and down the boardwalk. Overall, the trip was wonderful. Virginia City is a quaint town that everybody should visit. THE PRICE OF THE TRIP WAS VERY REASONABLE AND I WOULD RECOMMEND THIS TRIP TO EVERYONE.

Visited July 2013