Gold Hill Hotel
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
Virginia City Inn(Virginia City)
View Hotel
Silver Queen Hotel(Virginia City)
  • Bar/Lounge
View Hotel
Hardman House Hotel(Carson City)
View Hotel
All reviewsoldest hotelminer's cabincharging stationfull barbalcony with table and chairsparanormal investigatorsprivate bathroomtwo double bedsstrong smellnew ownersexcellent choicein room coffeecool barghostly activitychecking outroad tripantique furnishings
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 21 April 2014

Beware Groupon users, print out your voucher and bring it with you. I was so glad I did, the check-in lady asked me how I wanted to pay my remaining balance of 55.00 plus ( can't remember the exact amount). I was dumbfounded, I explained there should not be a balance as the Groupon was for a fireplace room at 69.00 a night. She then informed me that my Groupon had expired but, that she did apply the 69.00 toward the balance.

So, I then explained how my Groupon had NOT expired, that I had followed the Groupon instructions:
The Fine Print
Must book by 3/21/14 or promotional value
expires. Must complete travel by 5/20/14.
Not valid 2/14/14, 4/25/14-4/26/14. Limit 3
per person, may buy 3 additional as gifts.
Limit 3 per visit. Valid only for option
purchased. Reservation required, subject to
availability. 48-hour cancellation notice
required or fee of applicable one-night’s stay
up to the amount paid for Groupon applies.
Must be 18 or older to check in. Credit card
required at booking and check-in. Not valid
with reward points. 10% tax not included.

There was another lady there who read over my voucher and asked if she could make a copy (I guess I wasn't the only one having problems with their Groupon voucher) She agreed that I did make my reservation according to the voucher instructions and therefore, I only had to pay the tax on the room. (Made the reservation on January 25th almost two months before the expiration date.)

Once that was settled we got our key for room nine. The carpeting on the staircase could have used a good vacuuming. We had trouble with the key and lock but after twisting and turning we made our way in. The room was large with a huge fireplace and where the corner windows met, was a sitting area. One set of blinds didn't close, but with the curtains it was ok. The room and furnishings fit the period of the building. The balcony was nice just to be able to sit outside and do nothing. The bathroom could use an update, overall it was how I thought it would be, nothing fancy nothing bad. I've stayed in better and I've stayed in worse. Comparing the Gold Hill Inn to Powers Mansion Inn, I would pick Gold Hill Inn hands down. Powers Mansion Inn, has a very high rating, but, I think Gold Hill was by far a better value for the Groupon price and I liked the atmosphere of Gold Hill alot more, plus I liked the rustic feel. I did miss the breakfast included with the Groupon, but the dinning crew was very nice and gathered up a tray for me and carried it to my third floor room.

Room Tip: Room Nine was large with a fireplace and balcony.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Mandy M, Front Office Manager at Gold Hill Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 April 2014

Hi Bernice-

I'm sorry about the confusion about the Groupon- this is the first time we've worked with Groupon, so the specific details have taken a little getting used to for our staff.

I'm glad to hear that otherwise our staff took good care of you during your stay.

We hope to see you again soon- if you visit us during the week (Sun.-Thurs. night), we are running a special through the end of May that includes a great room rate and a $50 credit toward the restaurant or saloon. When it's all said and done, it's actually a better value than the Groupon.

Thanks!

Reviewed 14 March 2014

I hesitated to give this lovely historic property a " poor" rating, but compared to the other places we've stayed recently, it really does not rate as "average." In terms of service, amenities and especially upkeep, while not horrible, it is definitely one of the worse places we have stayed. Don't get me wrong; it's not because of the charming older building with sloped, creaky floors etc. We have stayed in a lot of historic properties and believe me, we don't expect them to be large, modern deluxe places. But when the towels are the cheapest of cheap, the carpet is filthy and poorly maintained, the blanket on the bed is full of holes, we really don't feel welcomed. In historice properties, I think guests look for two things: hospitality and pride. We did not experience either one of these on this visit (except for Vic, the famous waiter at dinner). When we walked in, the manager stared at us without smiling. It was an hour or so before check in time and the property was deserted. I told her we wanted to check in and she said, "Well, check in time isn't normally till three, but since your room is ready, I can let you check in early." I felt like I had done something wrong by arriving early. She was pleasant, but not really friendly or welcoming. The room itself was small and had been decorated with charming antiques. However, as I said, the carpet was really dirty, the mini blinds didn't work, the door locks were out of alignment, the shower curtain was completely torn so that it was hard to take a shower without getting water on the floor. The entire shower curtain rod had been repaired in a precarious fashion with electrical tape and bailing wire, in this really makeshift fashion that made me feel like they didn't care how the room looked to guests at all. I couldn't believe the holes in the blanket on the bed! They only provided two very small, incredibly cheap bath towels. It was like they were doing the absolute bare minimum that they could, rather than trying to provide guests with a nice experience. The continental breakfast in the morning was dried out, as if they had just re-served the same food from the day before. I wonder if they are making any effort at all; I understand that the property was sold by the previous owners (who apparently took a lot of pride in the place) to a corporation, so that probably explains it. You can only ride on the reputation of a place for so long before customers stop coming. Yes, they do have the ghost hunting gimmick, but it looks like there are quite a few places in Virginia City that have this selling point. I would not stay here again. If I wanted a ghost hunting experience, I would try the Silver Dollar which is actually in town. I hope the management will improve, and take the time and care with this old property that it deserves. This is a lovely old hotel, the oldest in Nevada, and it is a shame to let guests have such a shabby experience with it.

Room Tip: If you want to try a haunted room, rooms 4 and 5 are supposed to have ghosts, although we didn't see anything unusual. My partner did fall out of bed in the middle of the night, so maybe the ghost pushed him.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank LeonaHtheQueen
Reviewed 4 March 2014

My husband and I wanted room #4 which is called Roise's room. She supposely to be a nice lady spirit (ghost). We got in that room, nobody was there and no weird feeling anything.... it was normal, a pretty pink wall, old fashioned furniture and were so small but it was weird because the floor wasn't very flat. I understand that was an 150 year old hotel. The bathroom was nice and clean but rustic.
That night before bedtime, My husband brought an old leather duffel bag which belonged to my daddy. He put the duffel bag on the bed. The spirit spoke on my husband's right ear, she said "Who brought that?" He turned on the side. I saw him acting like crazy. I didn't hear anyone.
Another thing... When I walked into the hall, I smelled the rose perfume, one time. I felt like "Mmmm" I guess it could be Roise! .... And when I came out of Rosie's room, I smelled cherry tobacco from the next door ~ that was William's room (#5) at one time. But that hotel sign said "No smoking" inside. Really strange. My husband thought the same thing.
I really enjoyed that old hotel very much. It was a very interesting experience. If, You decide to stay in #4. Bring your own pretty perfume. Rosie would love it!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank wshws
Reviewed 9 February 2014

We stayed in room 6, did not see any ghost activity there, the place had an overall creepy haunted feeling to it, the patio outside of the room was nice to have, the room was small but ok for the 2 nights we stayed, the bed was very uncomfortable, very few channels on the tv and would freeze up, no coffee maker... 2 night was enough for me.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 February 2014

Single guy...stayed there 1-27-14...room was # 14...clean and comfortable. I enjoy these old hotels as I am on a recent "Magical History Tour." I started Hiway 49 Calif. "Gold Rush Tour" and came here to check out the history in this area. Tons of mining history everywhere. I will come back to Virginia City and will check availability with this hotel first. Has nice bar and beautiful dining room. Management was friendly.

Room Tip: My room # 14 was a very "special room." Had it's own small patio and table.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo