“Perfect place to stay in VC”
Review of Gold Hill Hotel

Gold Hill Hotel
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Virginia City
Brisbane
“Perfect place to stay in VC”
Reviewed 24 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for 2 nights with a group of 13 back in April. We had the miners cabin, the brewery cabin and a few rooms in the main hotel. Our stay was amazing and a highlight of our USA trip. Dinner was great, the rooms were perfect and had a great western feel to them. The cabins were creepy but cozy. The staff really looked after us especially Clay who took a few of us for a drive up into the mountains behind the hotel.

Thanks for the great stay Clay, sorry I didn't review earlier! I will sure to be back next time I'm in Nevada.

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank JMyers10

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
South Carolina
Reviewed 24 July 2014

We stayed in the original part of the hotel, which is the oldest. The rooms are quite small, but we had everything we needed, and the rooms were nice and spotlessly clean. I was concerned because there was no A/C, and the room got a little stuffy during the day, but with the window fan bringing in the cool mountain air, we were comfortable at night. A small, but surprisingly good, breakfast is included. I had injured my leg, and when I had some trouble navigating the stairs, the manager actually offered to bring up breakfast to my room. I was able to manage on my own, but I certainly appreciated her being willing to do this for me.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Novato, California
Reviewed 23 July 2014

Last weekend we stayed at the Gold Hill Hotel. From the minute we checked in with Missy at the front desk, we felt welcome. We asked her to show us around, and she was more than happy to do so. The room we stayed in, room 11 was very nice. Beds were comfortable and my kids enjoyed walking round the grounds. If you are a ghost hunter with young kids, ages 6 to 11 this is the place for you. We had a blast and would stay here again. If you go to Virginia City stay here.
The restaurant was very good. Be aware the prices are high, but food is very good. Meal for 4 was $156.00 without alcohol.

Room Tip: Ghost rooms 4,5,11 in room 4 say hi to Rosie. Most haunted room 18,19 if you dare.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Ryryrose
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 30 June 2014

We stayed 2 nights in room 4, Rosie's room. The room was everything we hoped for. It had historic charm and a great tub for soaking after sightseeing in Virginia City. Definitely not a cookie cutter type room. We enjoyed the ambience of the bar, and the bartender didn't mind taking our picture at the perfect spot to capture it. We ate at the restaurant for dinner and our waiter , Victor, made recommendations that were spot on. The fruit and cheese plate we had was excellent, as was the presentation of the entre (antelope). The ladies staffing the front desk were friendly and helpful. Everyone on staff went out of their way to make our stay an outstanding experience. We plan on returning.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reno, Nevada
Reviewed 16 June 2014

Took V&T Railroad trip from Carson City and stopped at Gold Hill Hotel for lunch. Had almost 30 people in the group, so had made arrangements with Mandy & Kathy before arrival. The food was great and the service wonderful. The setting was really nice, and everyone enjoyed themselves. I've lived in the Reno-Tahoe area for 20+ years, and this was the first time I went into Gold Hill. It is a lovely community and worth coming back again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Rocklin, California
Reviewed 29 May 2014

Where to start....this was the last stop on our honeymoon adventure. I have never been to Virginia City, but my husband had, so I was in for a wonderful surprise! First when I booked the room I did not realize this was a haunted hotel...creepy. My husbands family experienced scary things here and had a picture of a full apparition! So, I agreed to stay here anyways...lol. When we arrived the hotel staff was very friendly and greeted us with smiles. Our fireplace/balcony room was just renovated with brand new carpet and we were the first to stay in it! The carpet was new but did not take away the beauty and charm of the historic overall theme. It was beautiful! I was doing great and not spooked about staying at the haunted hotel until I spoke with the gentleman who works in town in the Visitors Center. He told me that he and his wife stayed in one of the balcony rooms and had the experience of his TV going on in the middle of the night and after he had put all the blinds down on the windows, in the morning they were all the way up! Huh? I thought this only happened in the two known ghost rooms! So needless to say, on our last night of our honeymoon we slept with the lights on and the TV on ALL night. Yes, I was a scaredy cat! LOL. Other than that, nothing happened and we got some amazing pictures that we think have orbs in them. The bed was really comfortable and the fireplace was definitely used. If I can muster up enough courage I would definitely go again! I love the history of this hotel and the whole town. It was a great time! Also, don't miss the Gold Hill restaurant - their food was scrumptious!!!!!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ambrulio
Carson City, Nevada
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Don't go here if you are looking for a modern or cookie-cutter hotel. DO go here if you want to stay in an authentic historic hotel that is quaint, interesting, and one-of-a-kind. It is in a historically fascinating area and scenic as well. The restaurant at the hotel is also excellent.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Gold Dust West Carson City
Gold Dust West Carson City
#3 of 17 in Carson City
Sugarloaf Mountain Motel & Market

Been to Gold Hill Hotel? Share your experiences!