“The absolute best stay I have ever had”
Review of Silver Queen Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Virginia City
Silver Queen Hotel
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Virginia City
Reviewed 18 July 2012

Ok, yes we know the rooms are basic, but lets look past that to having an experience that you will never forget. Stayed in the poplular room #11 July 16th, was actually our honeymoon ha ha...Anyway, while my wife slept peaceful and quiet, except for times I woke her up, I was pretty much messed with all night. Everything from cold chills and cold touches, not much coolness in July in Virginia City, to watching dark shadows around the door leading to the other room, #13. There was nobody in room 13 that night.....Anyway, wow, was fun to say the least, except no real sleep ha ha ha....Go, dont think about it, dont talk about, just go.....Thank you staff of the Silver Queen, Terri was fantastic to hear your experiences that you have had cleaning the rooms. Will see you soon

Mike and Cyndie

Room Tip: dont forget to bring a flower or flowers to the room if you are staying in 11
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank mike s

Reviewed 10 July 2012

The walls are a little thin but other than that this town in amazing! My boyfriend and I had a ghostly encounter at this hotel. We heard a voice in our room say "Oh my god, oh my god." We both looked at each other in amazement for the voice sounded as if it was right next to us. It is a great little bar downstairs and the wedding chapel is a must see.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank amberbishop04
Reviewed 9 July 2012

Don't stay here expecting modern conveniences. Don't expect anything at all. The trick to having a great time is to have no preconceived notions of what Virginia City will be like, and to accept what is. I stayed in room 18, not knowing that it was one of the rooms featured in the Bats in the Belfry ghost tour. It's on the top floor, and boasts 4 tall windows offering a spectacular view. I'd read reviews mentioning knocking on the windows, and figured that was probably as much as would happen to me. The bed is a bit saggy, but the room itself is shabby-chic, lovely in the way a fading red rose is lovely, with a hint of the scents of the past, checkered as it may be.
It's well worth, to me, having to traipse up and down the stairs to haul luggage or come and go.
During the night I did have some tapping on my windows, and invited "them" to come in as long as they meant me no harm. Somewhere along the wee hours, people in neighboring rooms returned, and I drifted in and out of sleep, at one point hearing a weeping woman moaning "I'm so sorry" over and over again. Too much drink, thought I. Somebody did something stupid and her significant other was mighty disappointed, or something to that effect!
Come to find out, next morning other guests on the floor below also heard this voice, and one guest complained only to be told that there is nothing management can do! Apparently many, many guests have heard this, sometimes a man's voice, sometimes a woman's.
The stairs squeak, the floors are a bit uneven, paint peels and upholstery is faded, there are creaks and bumps and taps and all sorts of wonderfully spooky noises.
Come and stay at the Silver Queen because you want to, because it sounds delightful, because you like old things. Come and stay because you want the sense of stepping back in time, crossing a dimensional border.
If you're looking for the microwave oven and in-room coffee maker, the free continental breakfast or wi-fi, etc, give the Silver Queen a pass. She won't want you to stay here, either.

Room Tip: Rooms without windows get terribly stuffy, so always ask if the room you want has windows. Room 11...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank R T
Reviewed 3 June 2012

My partner and I spent 1 night at the Silver Queen hotel in room 18. The view from the windows overlook Sugar Loaf mountain and the street below. We went during Memorial Day weekend and the hotel was still nearly empty. The room itself was very basic with a queen size bed, small dresser, a small table with two chairs. The bathroom was and shower stall were small so if you are a large or tall person you might not find this very comfortable. There is no televisons, phones, or internet in the rooms. There aren't any elevators either so if you have difficulty climbing stairs you may want to stay in the down floor rooms. The room we stayed in was on the top, third floor of the hotel. There is a back entrance to the hotel that puts you directly onto the 2nd floor so if you're staying on the top floor you only have to climb one winding flight of stairs. This hotel is known to be haunted. During our stay we did not detect any paranormal activity what so ever. Because of it's haunted reputation there were a few peopel there doing an amatuer ghost hunt and because the walls are very thin they woke us up in the middle of the night. If you do a paranormal investigation you need to be considerate of others staying at the hotel or rent out the entire thing.
The staff was very friendly. You do check in to the hotel at the bar where they hand you a pair of ear plugs and a local Virginia City newspaper. We wouldn't have needed the earplugs if it were'nt for the amatuer ghost hunters because by 9 pm the entire town was a "ghost town".

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Jbscrible
Reviewed 6 February 2012

We stayed at this hotel in room 18 for one night, if you don't like haunted places it's not for you, the room was clean the sheets were lovely and soft, just could have done with a few extra touches, like a bedside lamp, a hairdryer. As for the ghosts I felt one, I looked up when I heard a door creak close by and I felt a hand on my head and a voice said ' it's ok' when I looked at my husband he was tucked up under the sheets facing away from me so could not have been him. I wasn't at all scared and went back to sleep. I only have one complaint which was I was very cold all night, there were no extra blankets and no way of asking for one. Oh and some very noisy neighbours in another room. Overall an interesting stay, and the red dog saloon was great for a drink too just down the street a few yards.

Room Tip: Room 11 is very haunted so perhaps not a good choice, rooms 18 or 19 have an awesome view to the fro...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
5  Thank Familytrips12
Reviewed 15 October 2011

Walking in off the street you feel like you have just entered an old western movie. The bar is picture perfect with the huge mirror and old bar stools and the staff is so welcoming and friendly. There is no TV in the room, which is exactly perfect to complete your Virginia City experience, and the rooms have been beautifully preserved. The location is ideal for a walk around the town and the chili dogs at the bar, with AMAZING homemade chili, are delicious. There is a bakery next door which has fresh coffee and yummy pastries, I recommend buying the travel mug for free refills =)
If you truly want an authentic old western town experience in Virgina City I would highly suggest this hotel.

Room Tip: The rooms that overlook the street are big and offer a wonderful view.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
7  Thank AnnaBear83
Reviewed 5 October 2011

My husband and I read reviews about this hotel and it was obvious that it wasn't a place for everyone. I would advise anyone to do their research and read the reviews before you go to a hotel. I loved the idea of it being haunted, but unfortunately didn't get any visits!
We loved the place! Great rooms. We stayed in room 18, 3rd floor. We didn't find the stairs challenging at all, however we didn't bring a lot of stuff with us to our room.
It was a very quiet stay, of course it was a Wednesday night. We only saw one other couple. The check in was quick, simple and friendly. We got there in the evening, so the town rolled up it's sidewalks shortly after we had our dinner, so we didn't get to do much while we were there. It left both of us wishing that we'd have stayed two nights at the Silver Queen instead of two nights in Vegas.
The furniture in the room was nice, not ratty like I sort of expected. Overall, we had a VERY good stay at the Silver Queen. Advise that I'd give is that if you want fancy, with air conditioning, a TV and other immenities. This place is NOT for you. If you want a good old western hotel, built in 1876 and get a trip back in time, this is the place for you.

Room Tip: Room 18 and 19 overlook the main street. It's a great view.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Edith Palmer's Country Inn
Edith Palmer's Country Inn
#2 of 2 in Virginia City
Atlantis Casino Resort Spa

Been to Silver Queen Hotel? Share your experiences!