“Very Average - Vegetarians Should Avoid” 3 of 5 bubbles

Oceano Buffet
Price range: US$13 - US$27
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Groups, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Brunch, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Seating, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Enjoy uptown taste and tremendous variety at the Oceano Buffet. The freshest selections of seafood are served at our Friday and Saturday night buffet. Choose from piping hot prime rib, ice cold salad bar, tender roasted chicken and much more!
Salt Lake City, Utah
“Very Average - Vegetarians Should Avoid”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2014

Not the best selection nor the best cooked. The Oceano at the Montego Bay Resort is very average. I went to the Rain Forest Buffet over at the Rainbow a while back and it was much better.

My wife is a vegetarian and there was next to nothing for her to eat. Mostly just side dishes for her.

It seemed like most of the desserts were frozen. I would like to have seen some freshly prepared items.

Again, not that it was bad it just wasn't a place I would go back to.

• Visited May 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Providence, UT
“Food okay, service not so much.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2014 via mobile

We enjoyed the food and found the salad bar excellant. I sampled three oriental dishes and they were all okay but not great. My wife liked her prime rib. I know this is a buffet but the wait staff should keep your beverage glass full and the table clear. They seemed to be interested in socializing with each other than paying attention to customers. Also didnt care for the setting. It was too close to the casino and the smoke and noise were irritating.

Visited April 2014
Central Utah
“An Early Dinner on March 11, 2014”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2014

My brother and I drove out to Wendover for the day and had dinner at the Oceano Buffet before driving home.
Since the same company owns three of the major casinos, now, those buffets are quite similar, but this one seems a bit more airy than the others.
We were there on a Tuesday, and a stormy day in Utah, so we didn't have a crowd at the buffet, which made it easier at the food counters.
Everything I had from the fruit to the salad to the cooked dishes was good, although the watermelon, while juicy, was a little bland, but crisp. I would have expected even worse at this time of year, so even that was pleasantly surprising.
The kung pao shrimp was tasty and spicy, which was also pleasantly surprising to me, since other kung pao dishes I've had needed just a bit more spice in the sauce, despite all of them having the small red peppers.
The meat offerings were tender and flavorful. The bacon-wrapped pork was just a little on the tough side, but not bad. The prime rib, this time, was tender, as it should be.
I ran out of gastronomic room, so I didn't have the tail-on shrimp that I usually would have, but my brother said those were good with the cocktail sauce.
The desserts leave a little to be desired, though. For years, now, I have observed that whoever does their éclairs needs to go back to cooking school. The icing is the only thing that comes close to resembling a true éclair beyond the outward appearance. I have no idea what went wrong with everything else in their éclairs. As infrequently as I go to Wendover, I keep getting an éclair in hopes that they learned something in the interim, but at best, they aren't getting any better. Don't bother with their éclairs - they aren't worth the cost in calories.
Their chocolate cake is substantial and flavorful, their pecan pie has lumps of chocolate, which I'm not used to, but didn't detract too much otherwise. Their other desserts were okay.
In short, if you are in or near Montego Bay in West Wendover after 4 p.m. and hungry, eat at the Oceano Buffet. You can pick what you want off the food counters and have your fill of good food.
Cons:
-The Oceano Buffet used to honor the CDL discount coupons (available from the Trucker center just West of the Peppermill), but they don't honor those anymore. If you need to use a CDL discount coupon, you'll need to go to one of the two places listed on that coupon, not the Oceano Buffet.
-Their offering that resembles an éclair is not worth the effort to put it onto your dessert plate. This is true for all the buffets I've otherwise enjoyed in West Wendover in the last few years. They evidently get their pastries from the same source.

• Visited March 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
West Wendover, Nevada
“Very enjoyable and good food.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2014

Pricing is about average for a casino buffet. The food is better than average, the pictures inside are beautiful, and if you try really hard, you might be able to imagine you are on the beach or other exotic places.
Being a local, I enjoy going here.

• Visited October 2013
Salt Lake City
“Same old, same old”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2014

The menu has not changed for a couple of years now. The quality of food has deteriorated somewhat! The rice in the Asian section was so stodgy that could pass as glue! The prime rib is very leathery although it tooted to be slow cooked! Food was tasteless! Mexican food looked like barf .. don't waste money!

Visited February 2014