“Good, but not quite Non-Smoking”
Review of Quality Inn

Quality Inn
Ranked #9 of 18 Hotels in Winnemucca
Reviewed 22 August 2014

For the money it is a good deal that includes a recently updated room, one free drink, and free breakfast. However, the non-smoking part needs a bit of work and that is the reason for the 'average' rating. Yes, the rooms are non-smoking, but you have to walk in to the smoky casino to get to the front desk to check in. The first floor hallway connects to the casino/lobby area by a door so it also smells smoky even when you come in through the guest entrance. Our room was on the 2nd floor, was updated, clean, comfortable, and no smoke smell. As an adamant non-smoker, I would have gone elsewhere had my room smelled (hate, hate cigarette smoke/smelling like an ashtray). Unfortunately, the elevator was not working so we had to walk back into the smoky casino to access the stairs up to 2nd floor. Yes, back into the smoky casino to go to the bar to redeem our free drink coupon and to have our free breakfast the next morning. Staff was pleasant and helpful and I had no problems booking our reservation thru the Quality Inn website. Security also could use a little work/upgrading as the card reader at the guest entrance was not working when we were there and anyone can access the hotel hallways from the stairs or 1st floor doorway, both from inside the casino. The pool is located outside in the back of the building, was clean, but easily accessed by anyone from the parking lot as no card reader/security, just 2 gates with latches. Would I stay there again? Probably not, because of the smoke. The accommodations were fine, but unfortunately take the hit because of the smoke.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank turtlelady_12

Reviewed 18 August 2014

For the money it checks a lot of the boxes. Actually, if you figure in the one free drink and the voucher for a free breakfast it's an even better deal. Yes, the lobby is also part of the casino so you'll get smoke from the people playing slots but once you get into the hotel hallway with the closed door it's much better. My smoke-free room was on the second floor and had no smoke smell at all. Decent Wifi and it was free, you just had to log-in over and over. The room was smaller but nice enough, updated, clean, and comfortable.....I've paid more for a lot less in other hotels. The bed was great but I'm not a fan of the many half sized pillows, just a little complaint, nothing major. The location is good and on the main road. The bar area was okay but only if you like sitting at a bar, I'd recommend the hotel take a look at the Winnemucca Inn's bar "seating" area. The breakfast at the restaurant was really good and all the staff from the moment I checked in to the moment I left were very polite and helpful. I was told I might have received a cheaper price if I called in to their front desk or used their website instead of using Priceline.

Room Tip: Call them and check their prices after looking at online sites before you book.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank JohnJohn101
Reviewed 10 August 2014

I debated between 3 and 4 dots and settled on the later for the following reasons. First this hotel is so much better than the adjoining hotels and the price was fair. Our room on the third floor had been renovated since our last stay in this facility which was about 6 years ago. New, marble topped furniture and very nice retiling around the bath. The doors had been refinished or were completely new. All the bedding was clean and pretty new as well. We had a quiet comfortable stay in a non smoking room. The staff were friendly, fun and helpful, though the lobby is smokey from the casino which abuts it. I would recommend that the casino area be walled off and proper filtration put in to alleviate this problem. I would also request that house keeping be instructed that taking smoke breaks in front of the hotel guests entrance is completely inappropriate and uncool at best.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank BillStainbrook
Reviewed 9 August 2014

This hotel's claim to be "100% Smoke Free" is flat out false advertising. The "lobby" of the hotel is in the same large area as the casino - and there seems to always be a chain-smoker sitting in the casino, playing the slots.

We arrived thinking, "Ok, the lobby is smoky, but we'll deal with that." In the time it took us to get checked in and get our keys, our whole non-smoking family wound up smelling like cigarette smoke.

"But at least the hotel part will be smoke free," we thought. Wrong again.

There is one far-from-airtight door separating the smoke-filled casino from the hotel hallway. We could smell smoke all the way down the hallway to our room. When I complained about this to staff, they informed me that they had no other rooms available (the smoke wasn't as bad on the 2nd or 3rd floors), and "solved" the problem by spraying deodorant in the hallway.

At checkout I explained to the woman at the desk what my issue was she said, "Oh, I know. The smoke just gets everywhere. And I don't even smoke." She went and got the manager for me.

Peggy, the manager, was nice, but there wasn't anything she could do that would make this right. Quality Inn needs to either fix its website and remove the "100% smoke free" claim, or seal off their hotel lobby and build a separate entrance to the casino.

Oh, and don't get me started on the "security" system. The door to the parking lot has a card-swipe lock on it that doesn't work. Anyone that wants to can walk in to the hotel and wander the halls.

Either way, we'll never be going back.

Room Tip: If you don't want cigarette smoke in your hallway, demand the 2nd or 3rd floor. Or just stay som...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Greg Q
sharpie997, Manager at Quality Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2014

I am sorry this person did not care for the cigarette smoke. Our hotel is smoke free except for the lobby. We are attached to a casino and since smoking is legal in Nevada casinos we do have a problem in the lobby. We do our best to try to keep the smoke smell down in the lobby using a smoke eliminator freshener. The security on the side doors was a problem that was addressed and since been fixed. The approved signage for Choice Hotels that says you are smoke free lists on it 100%. We do not mean to false advertise, but this is the only approved signage we can order. Smoke is an issue in any casino hotel where the hotel is attached to a casino. I have made suggestions to owners and management on how to eliminate the problem.

Reviewed 6 August 2014

Staff was friendly; rec'd free breakfast and free drink coupons with reservation. Rooms were okay; but a little stuffy. Dining room closes fairly early so we were unable to have dinner at the hotel; breakfast was good. Definitely recommend not staying on the 1st floor (all rooms have windows that face a parking lot; and definitely not near the side door that comes in from the parking lots or near the ice or coke machine. Small gambling casino is in the building; so variety is small but okay

Room Tip: Not the first floor (upper floors have a lot of noise when they walk or drop things on the floor abo...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Pat S
Reviewed 1 August 2014

The rooms were updated and very clean with a refrigerator, free WiFi and very comfortable beds. The staff was very pleasant and accommodated my request for additional pillows in a timely manner. One free drink and breakfast coupon was included for the attached casino. Only downfall was when entering the motel for check in the smell of smoke is very strong from the attached casino. Although the rest of the motel was smoke free. Close to local restaurants, other casinos and businesses.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Ktedid
Reviewed 29 July 2014

We stayed here in the middle of a road trip through Nevada. As mentioned, the hotel is attached to a casino. When you first enter, yes, the smell of smoke hits pretty strong. However, the corridor to the rooms is blocked by a heavy door. Once we went through, we could not smell smoke at all. There was no smell in the rooms either.

The room was nice and comfortable. The mattress was great, linens were clean, a/c strong, shower pressure good. There was a microwave and fridge in the room, as well as a coffeemaker. They give you a voucher for two free drinks at the bar and a voucher for breakfast. You could have one of three items (like a two-egg breakfast, waffle or pancake breakfast) included with the price of your room, or you could apply the voucher as a discount for other items on the menu. We left pretty early, so we didn't take advantage of the breakfast.

I would stay here again when travelling through Nevada. Tip for other travelers: Winnemucca is bigger than Lovelock. There are more hotels and restaurants. It's also less expensive than Elko.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple