“stop looking this is where you want to be!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Barrington
Barrington Shores Campground
Reviewed 15 December 2012

We've been looking for years for the perfect campground and we have finally found our spot . I have large family and Barrington Shores was very accommodating. We were pleasantly surprised by the clean, open beach area (the sunset between the trees was perfect!). Each morning it was promptly groomed and ready for the day. We found the bathrooms and showers to be extremely clean unlike most other campgrounds we have been to in the past. We set up shop on the beach sites. Cooked, played music, floated and enjoyed the time with our kids. It was small enough that we felt comfortable with the kids walking up to the arcade or buying ice cream at the store. Our boys favorite spot was the fishing peninsula. We also had several parties with a dogs. The dogs enjoyed the weekend as much as we did. I would highly recommend the beach sites!! We are having our next family gathering there this August (8/13). I also wanted to comment on the extremely helpful young women in the office ( i wish I knew her name). She is gem!! The most polite and helpful young person I've met in a long time. We will be back for many years!

Reviewed 10 October 2012

We camped here for a long weekend in July 2012; our first time. It is much smaller than it appears on the map, which was concerning at first..."thickly settled" is a thought that came to mind as I drove in. We were on the lake, near the boat docking area and in between the beaches. It was beautiful and very quiet! The bathrooms were always clean. The front check in staff was quite helpful...although I should have paid more attention to the fact that someone uses a tractor to back in campers-our site was quite small and it took me a long time to get it back far enough that we could still use the fire pit. I did, and my husband declared that we should come back again to the same site (go figure?!)

Room Tip: Consider the offer of assisted trailer placement via tractor...depending on your site.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 August 2012

My husband and I just returned from two weeks at Barrington Shores and we enjoyed our stay there. We have been away from camping for many years and recently purchased our first trailer. We were looking for a place not too far from home and on a lake. We had seen the campground from a boat the previous year and thought it might fit the bill. The staff was very helpful with a few glitches we had setting up our trailer for the first time and neighbors were generous with help and advice. The store did not carry staples (as stated somewhere else) but there is a full grocery store just minutes away. The store did close early but once we knew that, it was no longer an issue. Some campsites were roomier than others - ours was fine for our trailer with awning and a large tent and we appreciated the water view. We found the bathrooms and showers to be very clean (free showers and they had hot water!) and even saw a cleaning crew come through each night between 9 and 10 or so to have them ready for the morning. While we were there, there were some groups that came in that were loud but I have to say that by or before 11 pm it was quiet again - and this certainly was not every night - closer to the weekends.
We weren't looking for or necessarily interested in any entertainment that a campground might offer but we did attend the Kareoke nights. The kids had fun and some adults sang also. They had music at the beach several other nights that we could hear at our site. We were far enough away that it wasn't really an issue but if you camped right near the large beach it might be a problem if it wasn't something that you enjoy. We did see notices posted that there were arts and crafts for the kids, an archery lesson (?), a horseshoe tournament and several music activities. Our grandchildren enjoyed the playgrounds and the beach. We never made it to the smaller beach but there were floats at both. Sand must have been laid down in the beach area because the lake bottom tended to be mushy with sediment in other places. We were only affected by this when we put the boats in and out. The lake is quite large and very pretty if you can get out on it. We spent a peaceful morning watching the loons from our kayaks (well, I did while my husband fished!). Over all, our weeks were enjoyable and peaceful and we plan to go back.

Reviewed 19 August 2012

We stayed at Barrington Shores for a week and it was the first time we camped with full services w/s/e/c and wifi at first we were not sure if we were going to like it there but wanted to try out our new RV so we stayed and we are glad we did the people at the camp ground were very friendly they had all types of events like a pig roast, games for the kids, kareoke on the beach and there was even live music and the fishing on Swains lake was some of the best I caught over 12 bass every time I went out even my 7 year old daughter caught a 3 lb'er on her little barbie fishing pole

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed 18 August 2012

This was my fourth year coming here. Few things to note.

-The campground switched ownership and is now in poor repair

-It has been billed as an entertainment campground and has little to no entertainment

-This is not a place for kids 10 and under

When checking in this year I noticed the biggest sign that they have given up on the property. It starts with the office/store. They have 1/3 of what they used to have and to save money they don't even turn on the the lights in the store. When I asked what day milk, geese and hot dogs come (the cooler was empty and dark) they stated we don't sell that anymore as we didn't sell enough. Also the office closes at 7pm most nights so if you need wood, forget it. Don't wait until dark because they close before the sun sets.

Now to the "entertainment". Why thy would update their web page to ths is beyond me. They have two playgrounds in decent shape, the arcade has about three working games but that is where the Tweens and teens hang out and pass cigarettes and other things to each other.

There is somewhat of a basketball court but it s in poor repair and most hours of the day this is where the teens sit and pass cigarettes and other things.

Lastly the bathrooms are not clean and likely gt a once to twice a day clean which is not enough for this size campground.

This place makes you wish the ownership didn't change and keeps you thinking, this Plc could be great with a little capital or better owners.

Too bad, not returning.

5  Thank Todd E
Reviewed 5 August 2012

the map of the campground is quite off. the campsites are very close togeather. very little privacy. the bathrooms were clean. and they did clean our beach in front of us every morning that I was there. alot of seasonal campers taking the best spots and they're not very friendly.. saying good morning, you felt like you were invading their territory. Was very upset about the change in activities.. was one of the reasons we chose to camp here that weekend... and it's still written on their site that the fishing derby was that weekend. not sure what they changed the derby to as far as an activitey.. But it def. didn't interest me. I loved the lake and spent many hours on it. Make sure you bring sandals the roads are extrememly rocky and hard to walk on from the beach to the BR.

Room Tip: your best to choose a water front site atleast your not crouded..
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 July 2012

We have been coming here for years and what used to be a great campground for me and my family to enjoy took a turn for the worst in 2012. Today is Monday and I just returned from this campground yesterday and it feels good to be home. Based on one of the reviews I just read, the management has changed and heard they recently sold to a conglomerate from Florida that manages many other campgrounds.
I can attest to the really late night parties going beyond midnight. There are two beaches on the lake. We had to move from one because they were blasting country music (sorry biased) only to move to the other and find people smoking on the beach - both of these nuisances, which are beach rules, used to be enforced. Beaches used to be groomed and cleared of debris every morning and even that has gone away.
We rented a canoe (hourly) only to take the long walk to the dock and not find it there.
The store used to be a wonderful place to shop for essentials as well as toys and treats for the kids. Now you can barely find anything on the shelves. Items such as firewood and ice for your coolers were not kept in stock for most of the weekend (July weekend).
Prior to our arrival, we were originally thinking of taking a break from Barrington Shores to check out campgrounds, unfortunately this may be our last unless things change. It saddens me to see what used to be a great tradition for my family, take a turn for the worst.
Good luck Barrington Shores. This is a great plot of land and I hope things change in the future.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
10  Thank GabrielA209
Also consider these accommodations in or near Barrington
The Garrison Hotel, an Ascend Hotel Collection Member
Three Chimneys Inn
Three Chimneys Inn
#1 of 2 in Durham
Holiday Inn Express Durham
Silver Fountain Inn
Silver Fountain Inn
#1 of 3 in Dover

Been to Barrington Shores Campground? Share your experiences!