“Adequate at best” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #12 of 12 Hotels in Bartlett
Amherst, NH
“Adequate at best”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2013

I've stayed here several times over past 10 years, usually at the tail end of the downhill ski season, like I did this past week. This was definitely my least favorite stay here. When I checked in about 8 pm on a Tues night, I asked about their internet connection (free WiFi), and was told to find the Villager network. I also asked about a bucket of ice for my drinks, but their ice machine wasn't plugged in, so no ice. I asked about coffee in the morning in the office, since I'd seen a few coffee pots there, and the woman said, sure. Once in the room, the network was there, but no internet connection. I started back to the office, but realized they'd locked up for the night and closed up. So,no internet that night, or none next morning either. I went over to office about 7:45 am looking for coffee and to ask about the internet, but office was locked up tight. I went off skiing at Wildcat, used Wildcat's WiFi to connect my laptop, so the problem wasn't my laptop. After skiing, I came back to motel about 3 pm - still no internet. I also noticed that my bed wasn't made (no big deal, but clearly not the best service). I headed over to the office, but it was locked up tight still. I rang the bell, and eventually an older woman came down to the office with a cell phone in her hand. She didn't speak much English and wanted me to talk to her daughter on the phone. I explained the internet problem, and the daughter said she'd have someone look into it. A few hours later the internet connection was up and working again. I also bought a bag of ice at the convenience store down the road, so had some ice for my drinks.

What can I say that's good about this place? Nice King bed, but it takes up the whole room - not much room to move about. Lots of TV channels, including Showtime. Rate was only $49/night plus tax, reflecting mid-week, end of ski season.

However, for about $10 less per night, I'd recommend you go stay down the street at the North Colony Motel, which I did several weeks ago (I tried calling there 1st for a reservation this time, but North Colony was temporarily closed for renovations). North Colony has bigger rooms, nicer service, great internet, and is $10/night less. They get my vote over the Villager.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2013

We booked the motel because it was pet friendly. As soon as we checked in we could tell it's a budget motel. The lady at the front desk overcharged us and refused to change the cost despite the fact we had an email from orbitz saying she was charging $10 too much. The room was tiny shabby looking and cold! We had the heat blasting at 80 for over an hour before we took our coats off. The room smelled like a nursing home/vet's office and the bathroom hadn't been cleaned! When we checked out a 4 year old came to get the key nobody was at the front desk and judging by the pile of keys nobody had been there for awhile. We wouldn't stay there again.

• Stayed January 2013
2 Thank AbbeysRG8
orlando florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2013

Once again the villager motel came thru ! We stayed in the chalet with my wife and kids for my twins b-day week of skiing. The front desk and family that run the motel are more than great. So friendly and helpful. The chalet is perfect and with a fire place. And the value was outstanding
I would recommend this for any family. Also it is so close to attitash w/o the $$$$$$ of staying at the ski resort. They are even updating the chalet , new exterior and seems to be revamping the inside ! The kitchen was a plus and the upstairs for the kids great
Will be going back again

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
Boston, MA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2013

I stayed here recently with my wife and our dog. There are very few places in the North Conway area that allow pets so our choices during the holiday week were rather limited. I had stayed at the Villager several years ago in the summer when I had younger cousins visiting from California so I assured my wife that it would be a reasonable choice. I was mistaken.

Maybe the "pet friendly" rooms are not representative of the entire facility but our room felt decidedly tired. Everything was old and in shabby condition.

The lone bright spot of our visit was the very cheerful front desk attendant who checked us in and the equally cheerful young man who was on duty the following morning when we left. The Villager needs to do some serious refurbishing if they expect to compete for business in the area.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Travellers are raving about these Bartlett hotels

Youghal, Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2013

We stayed here on a trip to the white mountains.Other reviewers complained of peeling wallpaper and finding spiders,I must say we found none of these.We arrived late on a freezing cold night and were glad of the very warm and clean room,which was tastefully decorated.The beds were queen size and probably orthopaedic.This might explain why other reviewers found them hard.Beds are an individual taste,so its hard to accomodate everyone.It was hard to comment on the overall surroundings as the area was after a heavy snowfall.At $49 a head per night it represented good value for money,

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
Hamilton, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2013

Location can be hard to find, search on 302 into the gps rather than route 302, it helps. Room was small but adequate. Bed was hard and uncomfortable and pillows were too small and badly in need of replacement. Location is OK if you're just traveling through but if you are interested in going to for a walk to the local pub you will need to pack a snack as there is nothing nearby. Desk staff were helpful but someone forgot to rinse out the coffee urn before putting hot water in it for tea. Old coffee water does not make good tea. Would not stay here again, many places in Conway or North Conway looked far more appealing and near some nightlife.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
Dallas, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2012

This is a budget hotel. This is where you come to crash in the night and travel through the day. We stayed here for two nights and had a decent experience. The room was clean, however the motel needs renovation. there were places in the room were the wallpapers were peeling off. The shower curtains had a patch of color. We trapped a spider in the bathroom. If you are on a budget, this place is definitely worth the price you pay to stay. Another tip is to call the Motel directly for discounts, we found that online rates higher than the actual rates at the motel.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Ron S
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bartlett
Bartlett Inn
Attitash Mountain Village
Attitash Mountain Village
#3 of 12 in Bartlett
North Colony Motel and Cottages

Been to Villager Motel? Share your experiences!