“I love Sky Valley”

Ranked #8 of 12 Hotels in Bartlett
Syracuse, New York
“I love Sky Valley”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2012

I usually check Tripadvisor reviews after a stay at Sky Valley to see what others are saying, and I'm always delighted to see that people's reviews are primarily positive. I've stayed often at Sky Valley, usually a couple times each year, so I know all its quirks and delights.

On the last weekend in July, I stayed for three nights in one of the motel units - one of the few that have not seen much renovation in many years. It was clean, the bed was comfortable, the tiny bathroom has a new shower surround with plenty of places to put soap, shampoo, etc, and to my delight there was an air conditioner in the window. Up until the past few years, I can hardly remember a time staying at Sky Valley when air conditioning was needed at night. I loved seeing the little playground area filled with kids, and watching families have their barbeque dinners at the picnic tables.

I was there last year during the time the cottages were being given face-lifts, and I got to look inside each one, so I was surprised to see the comments from HoldenVermont about Cottage 6. Their description doesn't match what I saw. Sure, it's old, but if it was musty smelly and dirty, you should have commented when you moved in so it could have been cleaned to your satisfaction, and had other issues noted so they could have been taken care of.

I usually stay in one of the apartments, so I know that things at Sky Valley are 'rustic' as I think the website notes. Yes, everything is 'old', having been built in the 40s and 50s - but you don't go there to find plush accommodations and mints on the pillows. People stay there because of the family atmosphere, the affordable accommodations, the grounds, the pool, the river, the mountains.

Room Tip: Each unit has unique qualities and amenities - Some more updated than others. Cottages and apartment...
2 Thank sylsue52
david4821, Owner at Sky Valley Motel & Cottages, responded to this review, 4 August 2012
Thank you...we always love having you here. Bring Sue next time !

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Vermont
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2012

We had high hopes for our stay here but were disappointed. In theory, it should have been awesome - 2 bedroom cabin nestled far from the street, free breakfast, nice play area, Saco River right behind us, cool pool! Sure, we had all those things, but we had to sleep in a really musty, smelly, old and dirty cabin. Sure, the weather was muggy, but this really brought out the stink in the place. You could see there was a lot of water damage throughout the cabin, the ceilings sloped a lot. We had bugs, some screens were held by duct tape. The window in the living room had a big crack that one of my kids could have put their hands through if the put any pressure on it. The outlets were really old, and some were the kind where your plug just fell out of the outlet. There were no covers on any outlet, which I guess you can't expect, but really family friendly places have that. The walls in the shower were not sealed so there is more water damage guests are created, very simple to caulk, but like most things in the cabin - the little preventative things that could be done are not done. Most seriously we found - our smoke detector didn't even have a battery.

Now, here's the thing - we were staying in Cabin 6 and our friends were in cabin 5 (I'll let them write their own review) and had we seen the card that says you can leave within 15 minutes of check in and get your money back I think we would have left. But, we didn't see the card, and we stayed. At the end of our visit my husband talked to the lady at the desk and she took no responsibility, basically didn't hear anything my husband brought up. She claimed that past guests probably took the battery out of the smoke alarm! Cabin 5's alarm was in the cabinet and didn't work. She challenged my husband that he could go into any cabin and find a working detector, but wouldn't bring him to an open one to check - he felt that certain it would not work. Why doesn't staff check things like smoke detectors, and fire extinguishers between each guest?! If they believe their guests are sneaky theives who steal and "hide" smoke detectors, why are they not keen to ensure they are out and in order before each arrival. Here you've got old, and taxed outlets.....and no smoke alarm. It's a hazard. I'm sure, POSITIVE in fact, that the fire marshal would be interested to know about this and to pay a visit.

I guess we could deal with dirty, musty and out-dated - we only stayed a couple nights. We can not deal with safety hazards and nobody should. We do not want to deal with unreceptive staff, that's not what we paid a chunk of money to deal with. Seriously, not even an "I'm sorry you feel that way" or anything like that, she pushed it all back on my husband. She was not open at all.

We will definately not be staying at Sky Valley again, we'll find a better place with a receptive staff - and we will check more than the venue's website next time. ****Please do not think that responding to my comments makes you a receptive staff member, or someone really on top of your units, because you're just sitting there typing and not out there updating, fixing and making your units more SAFE.***

Obviously, we do not recommend this place.

6 Thank HoldenVermont
dave16, Owner at Sky Valley Motel & Cottages, responded to this review, 3 August 2012
There is probably nothing we can say to appease this visitor, but we don't necessarily agree with their assessment...nor do alot of other folks. We will point out that there is another review for this same cottage made just a few days prior that gave it a four star rating. It seems one or the other has it all wrong. You will also find many reviews that compliment our staff. It just goes to prove that you can't please all the people all the time. We apologize for that.

The main problem here is waiting until check out time to complain. By then it is too late to rectify anything and we got the distinct impression the primary motivation was to get some money back after staying for both days without a single complaint while something could have been done.....

Our money back guarantee is completely explained at check-in and is spelled out on many different pages at our website. If the level of unhappiness is severe we have been known to extend this money back guarantee for quite a bit longer than 15 minutes...but not after the guest has chosen to stay for his entire reserved time.

A simple stop at the office, which is open everyday from 8 a.m. till 11 p.m., would have solved the smoke alarm battery missing...which seems to be the primary issue...and since the office is right next to the pool, where you probably went at least once a day, we don't quite understand why a simple request to check the smoke alarm was not made. It would have been tended to immediately.

Enough said...we have to get out there and check out the other "issues".
Cumberland, Rhode Island
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2012

Grounds here are very will kept and the pool was beautiful!!! Lots of places to explore along the Saco River which we had a bonfire on almost every night. We were visited by a bear who had no interest in us but was curious of our grill and picnic table. The owners here were extremely friendly and assisted in our needs as soon as we expressed them. The cafe was very clean and satisfied our needs for breakfast. My kids (9 & 13) enjoyed going every morning. We stayed in cabin 6 which was the very back cabin. Very private, roomy and CLEAN! The master bedroom was very large and had it's own TV. The second bedroom was small but was fine for my 2 kids. The living area was comfy with another TV. The kitchen was very well stocked and we really didn't need to bring any cooking or eating utensils if we didn't want too. Cute screened in porch that was nice on warm summer night. The bar-b-que grill was like new. We did have to rent the tank for $10 but we didn't mind since we used it a lot. The cabin was adorable and private. Couple of minor things I should mention though, the showers had no pressure at all and the materesses were like sleeping on boards. My husband didn't mind but myself, having bad hips, found it to be very uncomforable. Also one of the screens in the second bedroom was held on with duct tape, not pretty but was not a bid deal since it did keep the bugs out. If the changed the materesses, we would most definitely come back!

2 Thank JustinCheryl
david4821, Owner at Sky Valley Motel & Cottages, responded to this review, 28 July 2012
We are pleased that you enjoyed the accommodations and Karen, who is in charge of cleaning the Cottage type units, was gratified to hear that you found everything very CLEAN in "her" unit. Maureen works hard to keep the Cafe neat and tidy, along with a hundred other things she does every day. Cleanliness is one of our top priorities.

As the reviewer stated, "The owners assisted in our needs as soon as we expressed them." That might be our second priority. We never ignore a valid complaint. Along that line, had you expressed the issue with the shower we would have taken care of it immediately. (It needed a new shower head, which took about two minutes to replace).

The beds in Cottage #6 are relatively new and probably are rated "firm"...we have had no other comments or complaints about that...and many folks seem to prefer "firm". You can be sure that we are going to revisit this issue at Cottage 6....but we have tested it out briefly and didn't find it objectionable...but, that's just us...everyone has different needs in mattresses. But we do apologize anyway.

Screens are a constant issue and we keep them repaired as time permits. We operate with a small staff and occasionally things get put-off for a short time, or get a temporary fix until there is time to do it right...i.e. duct tape is great stuff.

As to the bears, since we take great efforts to never leave food or garbage out in the open we have been fortunate that the one or two bears that are around just wander through sometimes and since they never find anything they don't come back very often. There are plenty of other places with easier pickings and I assume that is where they go most of the time.

We are very pleased that you took the time to share your experience at Sky Valley and your comments give us encouragement that we are still on the right track. We do hope that you will return. Perhaps a mattress in a different unit will suit you better,..

Dave
Che
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2012

Mother nature blessed this place, with the 1300 foot frontage on the Saco River, and 35 acres of beautiful woods and fields.That could be enough to make it the best place around, but the operators have added more like a wide selection of places to stay, a huge pool and tons of amenities. But for many, its the environment that's best. Its a family place. It always has been, and I hope it always is. Check out the web site, its excellent too.

2 Thank Bob S
New Hampshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2012

Grounds here are spacious with lots of places to explore. Weather was not cooperative while we were here, but we managed to get out there some. Explored the river and husband caught quite a few trout, water COLD! Playground more for toddler and preschool with some things for bigger kids. We only got to use the pool once. It's huge and has a sloping floor all the way around, no flat place to stand. There is a roped off area for toddlers and smaller kids to hang out. On really hot days it would be fun to get doused by the big sprayer they have going.

Stayed in a two bedroom cabin, not fancy but nice and more room to spread out that a motel room. Full kitchen (bring your own coffe maker filters). Bathroom small but has everything you need(with tub). AC here but we didn't need to use it. Three box fans also were in this cabin. Really close to Storyland and you can walk to a great ice cream place just down the road that has play structures for kids.

Commenting on other peoples comments about rude and condescending attitudes. What? I didn't get that. I think for the most part you get what you give. If you understand the rules and reasons for them you will be fine and enjoy this place. The one person I dealt with (on several different occasions) was very helpful to me.

Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank RedBippy
Pepperell, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2012

This is my fiancee's and my second time coming here and we absolutely love it! Last year we stayed in one of the larger units with the kitchens and this time one of the rooms in the "twenties." It is so peaceful and quiet. There are a lot of kids toys in the middle of the field and the pool has a lot of kid friendly floaties, so when we have kids, I can see us coming here and feeling very welcomed!

I cannot say enough great things about this place. The pool is chilly, but when the sun is out, who really cares right?! The breakfast in the morning is a nice touch, especially for being included in the rental pricing. It's very simple with choices of cereal, toast, english muffins, milk and juice.

Their prices are decent too for the area. The military discount is a nice added bonus for those serving or veterans.

All n' all, I would and have recommended this place to anyone looking to visit the White Mountains. A quick drive in either direction brings you to great White Mountain treasures.

Room Tip: There is one room with a king bed, number 24. It's big and comfy. The apartments are also very...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Jim F
, Manager at Sky Valley Motel & Cottages, responded to this review, 3 July 2012
We are glad you enjoyed everything and took the time to write a review. Just one correction, the motel unit with the king size bed is #21, it is on the end of the building closest to the Saco river.
Unit's, 22 and 23 each have one queen size bed and #24 has one full size double bed...and it just happens to be our smallest room.

Other great choices for just two people are Apartment "C", or the Poolside Apartment. "C" has a kitchen and a fireplace.

We look forward to seeing you again...
Haverhill, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2012

My family stayed in the motel last weekend. We purchased the Storyland package. The grounds were georgeous! The pool was wonderful, the whole family enjoyed it. There was plenty of space for the children to play outside at the play area. We also enjoyed a walk to the Saco river beach , located directly behind the motel. The rooms were spacious and clean. The continental breakfast saved us a good deal of extra money for breakfast and also offered something for everyone. We enjoyed delightful conversation each morning with Maureen , the manger. Management was pleasant, efficient and willing to go the extra mile to take care of guests. We will be returning to Sky Valley Motel again!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank mtcar
, Manager at Sky Valley Motel & Cottages, responded to this review, 27 June 2012
Thank you for your comments. We appreciate that you took the time to share your experience...and that everything met your expectations. Our $359 Storyland Package has been very popular and the free breakfast is also a big hit with most folks. We also recommend a place called "Yesterdays" in Jackson Village for folks who want the really big breakfast with all the trimmings.

We look forward to seeing you the next time you're in Bartlett.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bartlett
Bartlett Inn
#2 of 3 in Intervale
Attitash Mountain Village
Attitash Mountain Village
#3 of 12 in Bartlett

Been to Sky Valley Motel & Cottages? Share your experiences!