“Fine for the family, untill we got home ...”

Sky Valley Motel & Cottages
Ranked #8 of 12 Hotels in Bartlett
Warwick, Rhode Island, United States
“Fine for the family, untill we got home ...”
Reviewed 1 September 2013

My husband, myself and our two year old son stayed in one of the motel rooms. We enjoyed Story Land, shopping and great food while in NH. The package was super cheap, and I figured you get what you pay for ... but that was OK with us. Since we only used the room for sleeping and showering, the old tatty decor wasn't a huge deal. (We did stop at a nearby outlet store though, and grab some blankets [our were a little musty]). It's a run of the mill motel though, again we didn't care nor complain. We didn't complain about anything actually ... the musty smell, falling ceiling, raggedy carpet, windows that need wood blocks to stay open, or falling apart furniture. We just decided to bite our tongue, and enjoy NH. We were there for that anyway, not the motel! We stayed our two nights, and upon leaving were greeted by the cleaning lady. She was super nice and began cleaning our room as we we're finishing packing the car. We drove up to the front where my husband went in to check us out. So far you may question why this is in the terrible category .. well ... Our whole package was $329 and the gentleman I spoke with when reserving took a deposit of $100 leaving a balance of $229 to pay which we did upon checking in. When we arrived back home in RI, we checked our accounts to see that the hotel charged us an additional fee of $150 ... When I called to speak to somebody about this an extremely rude man told me somebody in our room "took a knife and shredded up a "new chair"". First of all, I would have noticed a "shredded" chair. Secondly, my husband and myself not even to mention my two year old ... have no use shredding furniture in our spare time. Lastly, this charge was not even brought up to us. When I called I asked this man why nobody decided to bring this to our attention before leaving and he honestly told me "I'm telling you now." What? Are you kidding me? After telling him I was pretty sure I didn't destroy the property he went on to tell me mid sentence "Shut up, I'll reverse the charge. I hate people like you. Don't ever come back here!" Wow, great management skills! I did have to call the bank to report an UN-authorized charge, so hopefully this place refunds the $150 so it doesn't become a civil suite. After telling my husband how I was spoken, to he did call the guy back. Funny ... he didn't tell my husband to shut up! Next year, I think we'll do a little more research on our hotel. Any place that scams families to make their money is not a place for me. Imagine how many people he's done this to and gotten away with it? Sick ...

Room Tip: Don't book here!
4 Thank Britney B
Dave E, Manager at Sky Valley Motel & Cottages, responded to this review, 2 September 2013
Sometimes it is difficult to remain calm when being screamed at on the phone by an irate person,..and in this situation, to my own surprise, my usual easy-going style completely deteriorated.

We take issue with Britney's description of the unit, but that aside, we do know that particular chair was in perfect condition and nearly new when Britney checked-in. A short time after check-out the "nice housekeeper" noticed that there were about 18 punctures, each about a half inch long, in both the seat and back of the upholstered chair, as if made by a pencil or pen or some other sharp or pointed object. The damage was obvious enough that she ("the nice housekeeper") would have noticed it prior to their arrival had it been a pre-existing condition.

We are 99% sure that this damage occurred during their stay. Our check-in materials are quite clear that extra charges will be made for damages or "trashing" a room, so no big surprise there. We are a bit curious why the first task when getting home was to check your card charges, if not to see if the damages had been discovered. The lesson to be gained from this is that when you are charged for something that you don't think is right, just call and start screaming insults and accusations. Viola, charges reversed, establishment takes the loss. Works like a charm. This is the first time this year we have charged anyone for damages. It's not a "scam"...recovering damages is part of the business...but, as this proves, it is often futile.

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Readfield, Maine, Usa
Reviewed 20 August 2013

Very family friendly. Was a great price for us. The staff are all very nice as well. Sky Valley is an older property but well kept. If you are a family on a budget and don't need high luxury then this is the place for you.

Room Tip: May want to bring your own pillow because there were no extras in the room. However we did ask at th...
1 Thank Donelle P
dave16, Manager at Sky Valley Motel & Cottages, responded to this review, 1 September 2013
Thanks for taking time to share your thoughts. We appreciate it and look forward to seeing you again soon.

Dave
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 August 2013

The cottage we stayed in #5 great for the grandchildren, tucked away in woods and only a short walk to the Saco river, the kids loved the fire pit, and with two bathrooms great for privacy, we travelled over from the UK and were not diapointed.

1 Thank Michael B
dave16, Manager at Sky Valley Motel & Cottages, responded to this review, 20 August 2013
We are glad to hear that we were everything you expected. It is nice to know that your impressions from our web-site, about an unknown entity, turned out to be just as anticipated.

Cottage 5 is one of the favorites and we are glad you enjoyed it.

Thanks for taking time to let us know your satisfaction with Sky Valley...we do appreciate it.

Your Innkeepers
South Hadley, Massachusetts, Usa
Reviewed 20 August 2013

My family and I loved it here. Relaxing, fun and the right price. I am planning on returning next year. It's easy to get to and has everything you need close by. The rooms are quite and the breakfast is free.

1 Thank Nathan H
Thanks for taking time to share your experience. We are glad everything was as expected and you liked our quiet rooms and free breakfast. We look forward to seeing you again, whenever that may be.

Innkeepers
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 20 August 2013

I've stayed at Sky Valley several times over the years, and it never disappoints. The accommodations range from charmingly quirky (several apartments of varying sizes located in what was the owner's childhood home, plus one adjacent to the motel offices beside the pool) to nostalgically rustic (the cottages bring back happy memories of childhood family vacations). Everything has always been clean, the grounds are lovely (35 acres, some landscaped with flower beds and a huge lawn with a play area for children, some wooded), and the pool is one-of-a-kind. It has frontage on the Saco River, which is beautiful, but users should be forewarned that the beach is mostly rocky - this is, after all, the Granite State. Peaceful and set well back from Route 302, the owners have invested in many upgrades in the past couple of years, including air conditioning in most if not all of the units, flat-screen TVs and fire pits and gas barbecues at all of the cottages. Free breakfast is basic but more than enough to get your day started. Overall, great value for your money - we plan on returning next year for a longer stay.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Thank you for your well written review.

We think you covered all the highlights and we are glad you noticed our constant stream of improvements. We take careful notes about the comments people make while here and make our list of projects based on what people have told us. In fact, we have a fairly good list of things on our list for the next round of upgrades.

We look forward to seeing you again when ever you are in Bartlett.

Dave/Maureen
Reviewed 19 August 2013

What a great place. Accomodations are exactly what we wanted. Had that homey touch. Finally a place that says on the river and truly is and has easy access to it. Camp fires every night, awesome. Especially liked that it was very family oriented. This was our second year and will have many more to come.

• Stayed August 2013
We too have seen other places that say they are on the river...but they neglect to mention that it is sometimes a very long walk.

We are blessed that most of our units are within 600 feet of the Saco River...Just walk across the North field and there it is. Granted, a bit rocky but always fun to explore and there are a few sandy spots to be found. While we have many convenient fire-pits available many folks still like a little beach bon-fire and a million stars overhead.

Families are our specialty and in many cases we get 2nd and 3rd generations of people who have enjoyed Sky Valley for many years. I bet there are alot of home movies from decades past showing families enjoying various aspects of Sky Valley. We have changed alot in some ways...primarily in keeping rooms up to date...and in other ways, basic hospitality and atmosphere, we have not changed at all.

Thanks for taking time to express your experience and we look forward to your next Sky Valley trip.

Dave/Maureen
Your Innkeepers
Reviewed 18 August 2013

I don't need a sentence to describe Sky Valley its simply AMAZING! Everything about this place is special from the staff to the location. Beautiful scenery great Cottages, worth every penny.
We will see you again next summer :)

Brodeur family Montréal,Canada

• Stayed August 2013
Amazing ! We are happy to hear such an accolade and I can think of no way to append to that basic thought....except that it didn't happen by accident.

We try very hard to satisfy each and every person who stays at Sky Valley and we are pleased when folks take the time to let us know that we are on the right track.

Thank you and we look forward to seeing you again.

Maureen and Dave
Your Innkeepers with alot of experience.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bartlett
Bartlett Inn
#2 of 3 in Intervale
Attitash Mountain Village
Attitash Mountain Village
#3 of 12 in Bartlett

Been to Sky Valley Motel & Cottages? Share your experiences!