“Good Old-Fashioned Mountain Cabin Stay” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of A Better Life Cabins

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bartlett
A Better Life Cabins
Lebanon, New Hampshire
“Good Old-Fashioned Mountain Cabin Stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2012

I decided on A Better Life Cabins because I wanted a good old-fashioned mountain cabin experience....right down to the owners....and it was exactly that. Rick (one of the owners) was in the general store (which has EVERYTHING one would need) with a smile and a helping hand when I told him I needed to buy a camera. The cabin was tiny and cozy, but look where you are....how much time do you want to spend in your cabin??? The heat worked GREAT, the water was good and hot, the place was clean and neat as a pin, and the small fridge was a blessing. I even got to watch a little tv as I drifted off to sleep.

I slept really well, I woke up to the beautiful crisp air, and Rick and Cassie (the friendly mountain pooch) greeted me in the morning,and stopped to chat.

I will return....in the summer AND the winter, when they have only three cabins open.

If you want five-star, then you probably aren't mountain cabin material. If you want to be right in the middle of strip mall heaven, then keep going into Conway. But if you want to go to the mountains to feel the mountains, and if you crave the good old-fashioned mountain cabin experience, then PLEASE give this place a try.

I smiled all the way home. Thanks, Rick & Lynn. :)

• Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank lgrigelevich

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Merrimack, New Hampshire, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2012

Let me start by saying I am not hard to please. I chose this location for it's price,proximity to Attitash & quick trip to North Conway (15 mins).We stayed in cabin #9 with 4 full sized teenagers. At first, they bawked at the idea of all sharing one room but by the end of the weekend, it was clear that had brought them closer together as siblings. Our room was spacious & had a long dresser for all our stuff. Yes, the floors are sloped (big deal) yes, the beds were not Serta Perfect sleepers (I'm over it) but really, we had everything we needed for the time we spent indoors. Our goal was to sleep, shower, eat and get right back out to the fun stuff. There is a "community fire pit" that we took advantage on our second night which was great because we thought we'd be missing that without tenting. The walls were clean, the floors were clean and the shower was hot. The air conditioners were new & worked perfectly (be sure to shut them off while blowdrying hair though... oops!!) The only small issue we had was that the shower & sink drained really slow but we cured that with a little patience. Ok, so there's no pool (no biggie). We drove up to Diana's Baths and waded in the fresh, clean mountain water.. beautiful place! There is a great place to eat right up the street (Cabin Fever) and Awesome Icecream place (Trails End) all recommended by your hosts and they were right. This would be a great place to bring your bicycles to to do some scenic cycling... also a great stretch of road for runners. It is OK for the money. Their website tells you everything you need to know. Thanks.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Deb C
Buena Vista, Virginia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 December 2011

I found Better Life (terrible misnomer) in a fly-fishing guide for the area; I should have known better than to trust the opinion of a guy who was using lodging strictly as a place to sleep. The cabins are extremely small, without a place really to turn around or sit in comfort. It's a place to sleep, period. If you plan on spending zero time in your lodgings and all your time outdoors only to come back and fall into a lumpy bed, then this is your place. There's nothing comfortable about this place except the price. It IS cheap, and you get what you pay for.
To be fair, the cabins are very clean, and the housekeeping staff is attentive and cares for these worn little cabins in a careful way. Other than that, I can't recommend this as a good choice for anyone except the aforementioned sportsmen or twenty-something skiers on a skin-tight budget.

Room Tip: Cabins are very close together and afford little privacy.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Eastskye
ABLCabins, Owner at A Better Life Cabins, responded to this review, 3 April 2012
From our web site : If you don't need hot tubs, room service or valet parking, then A Better Life NH Cottages just might be for you. Clean, comfortable cottages with character & charm.

Also from our web site:
Cottage #7 - 2 small bedrooms, 1 full bed, 1 set twin bunks
The bathrooms are small but functional.
The bedrooms are small as well, the full/double bed pretty much fills the room.

Realistic photos are on our web site and Facebook page.
There is a table and chairs in the front kitchenette area suitable for dining, reading, etc.

Brand new mattresses in 2011. Granted, not a superior, super-pillow-top, need a step stool to get into, mattress, but pretty darn comfy none-the-less.

We are NOT Luxury Cabins with Hot Tubs, etc. nor do or did we ever claim to be. Everything is on our web site so that a potential guest knows EXACTLY what we are and provide. We don't want anyone to be disappointed when they arrive. As a general rule, our first time guests tell us that our cabins exceeded all of their expectations. Then they reserve another stay.

Sadly, during your 3 nights with us, you did not provide us an opportunity to address your concerns. Then again, as size seemed to be your main concern, you did get what we described ourselves to be.

I do appreciate your acknowledgement of the cleanliness of the cabins and the attentiveness of our staff.

Travellers are raving about these Bartlett hotels

South Yarmouth, Massachusetts
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2011

We stayed in Cabin 8, 10/11. The reason for the title is apparantly curry and masala. But the cabin really smells like mold and old male cat urine. It was disgusting!! There is a sign on the wall saying that people are not allowed to cook curry because of the smell it leaves and also not allowed to burn candles or incense. We sprayed and sprayed lysol throughout the cabin several times but the smell couldnt be hidden. There is another sign saying there will be a 25$ charge for any dishes left behind and a $250 charge for smoking in the cabin. Honestly, cigarette smoke might improve the smell of this place. We did wash our dishes but the only thing that was available to wash them was hand soap. Does this mean that people have to eat off these dishes that are not properly washed?! I have to trust that the last people that stayed there washed their dishes? The TV is so old it is also a radio with dials and everything. There was only 2 channels (local and travel).

Room Tip: Dont stay in cabin 8
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Christy S
We rarely look at TA so I'm a little slow in this response.

If there was an issue on the dates you stayed (10/2 & 10/3), why did you not say something? We live right on the premises, approx 100' from #8. You didn't even register with us & the final charge for your cabin was not taken until after you left.

Cottage #8 is one of our most popular. It was completely re-done several years ago (including new walls). I have never noticed any offensive odor, nor has anyone prior or since your stay, ever said anything.

Unlike many cabin/cottage properties that expect you to provide your own, liquid dish soap is provided by us. Perhaps, somehow, the housekeeper missed refilling it? Unlikely, but certainly possible. Again, nothing was said.

The TV is old. It also works and has a radio/alarm that many people appreciate. We provide expanded basic which is about 70 channels. We do not have HBO or similar. Sometimes a remote, or even the TV, looses it's programming & must be reset. Again, IF there was an issue, something should have been said. It is a simple fix and we would have no way to know if there was a problem unless someone told us.

I am sorry you were unhappy with your stay. Two of the things you mentioned would have taken less than 3 minutes to rectify. IF there was some offensive odor and it could not be rectified immediately, we would have gladly moved you to another cabin or refunded your money. We were not given the opportunity to address your concerns, yet you felt it appropriate to complain in a public forum. I do hope, when you encounter some other imperfection out there in the world, that you give the "offender" an opportunity to address your concerns rather than trashing them in the public square.
Gloucester, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2011

I loved this little gem! Three trips(June,july&sept). Two separate groups,and nobdy had a complaint. Cabins 8and 9. Cabins were as advertised: cozy and comfortable and quite what I was looking for.Location is fantastic.Hosts were(especially lynn, as Rick is friendly but quiet) fine and helpful with directions and suggestions regarding leisure activities and restaurants.I even got a deal on a third night when I had planned on only spending two. I plan on calling Lynn or Rick for reservations for June in the near future. Oh! The tv had tons of channels and worked beautifully.A kitchen fan in #9 would help, but that was because it was 92 degrees while there in July!!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 February 2011

I am shocked to see some of the things other guests have said about A Better Life Cabins. My boyfriend and I stayed at A Better Life for the first time over Labor Day weekend 2010 and we're getting ready to book our second stay for the upcoming Memorial Day weekend! Cabin 8 was small but it was everything we needed. The mini fridge fit all the food we brought to last us three days, the picnic table and grill were awesome additions to the cabin, the location was amazing -- quiet and close to trails for hiking Mount Washington and other area mountains, nobody bothered us the entire time we were there, and our cabin was cleaned by the staff every day. When we were looking for something to do, North Conway was a very short drive away where we found mini golfing, restaurants, grocery stores and shops. On nights when we stayed in, our cabin had a second bedroom with a futon and TV, and the mini table was perfect for playing games. We also had no trouble with any "hidden" fees, or unfriendly staff. I don't know where other reviewers stayed, but it couldn't have been the same place. Sure, it's not a 4-star hotel, but if you're looking to get away to the White Mountains and want something that's cost-effective and clean, I'd definitely go to a Better Life. Not only would I recommend it, but I did recommend it -- when we go back in May, we're bringing friends!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
Boston, MA/SW Ontario, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 October 2010

For the first 9/10 of our visit, 'A Better Life' was fine - nothing special but what you would expect for the price, and in a good location. However, the owner decided to ruin our spirits by extremely rudely chasing us out after a misunderstanding between her and one of her staff around when exactly we would need to leave (we asked to stay later than the posted checkout time).

I think it was fairly clear that it was a misunderstanding, but she was evidently too proud to admit that she might have overreacted. Some people do not belong in the 'hospitality' industry - Mrs. Wilczek seems to fall into that category.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank NoMoreNamesLeft
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bartlett
Bartlett Inn
Attitash Motel
Attitash Motel
#9 of 12 in Bartlett
Attitash Grand Summit Hotel

Been to A Better Life Cabins? Share your experiences!