“Perfect! Just what we wanted!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of A Better Life Cabins

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bartlett
A Better Life Cabins
Boston, Massachusetts
“Perfect! Just what we wanted!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 February 2011

I am shocked to see some of the things other guests have said about A Better Life Cabins. My boyfriend and I stayed at A Better Life for the first time over Labor Day weekend 2010 and we're getting ready to book our second stay for the upcoming Memorial Day weekend! Cabin 8 was small but it was everything we needed. The mini fridge fit all the food we brought to last us three days, the picnic table and grill were awesome additions to the cabin, the location was amazing -- quiet and close to trails for hiking Mount Washington and other area mountains, nobody bothered us the entire time we were there, and our cabin was cleaned by the staff every day. When we were looking for something to do, North Conway was a very short drive away where we found mini golfing, restaurants, grocery stores and shops. On nights when we stayed in, our cabin had a second bedroom with a futon and TV, and the mini table was perfect for playing games. We also had no trouble with any "hidden" fees, or unfriendly staff. I don't know where other reviewers stayed, but it couldn't have been the same place. Sure, it's not a 4-star hotel, but if you're looking to get away to the White Mountains and want something that's cost-effective and clean, I'd definitely go to a Better Life. Not only would I recommend it, but I did recommend it -- when we go back in May, we're bringing friends!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Boston, MA/SW Ontario, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 October 2010

For the first 9/10 of our visit, 'A Better Life' was fine - nothing special but what you would expect for the price, and in a good location. However, the owner decided to ruin our spirits by extremely rudely chasing us out after a misunderstanding between her and one of her staff around when exactly we would need to leave (we asked to stay later than the posted checkout time).

I think it was fairly clear that it was a misunderstanding, but she was evidently too proud to admit that she might have overreacted. Some people do not belong in the 'hospitality' industry - Mrs. Wilczek seems to fall into that category.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with family
4 Thank NoMoreNamesLeft

Travellers are raving about these Bartlett hotels

Boston, Massachusetts
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 September 2010

This place charged my credit card a dish service fee stating that I left dirty dishes behind. This is FALSE. We brought our own dishes not knowing they actually provided dishes at the place. I noticed an extra charge on my credit card and when I called they stated that we left dishes dirty. I wouldn't waste my time complaining if this wasn't a true accusation. However we are very clean people and take pride in respecting other peoples property. The fact that most people probably allow this charge to go through they end up making a little extra money off each person they try to swindle. I am to prideful. These people can not be trusted and I would not waste my time staying there unless you want to have overcharges on your card and who knows what other bad business practices they allow.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
5 Thank BearGryllsGuru
ABLCabins, Owner at A Better Life Cabins, responded to this review, 3 April 2012
While we loved having his parents stay with us on previous occasions, we would not be willing to accommodate this young man in the future. I'll just leave it at that.
massachusetts
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2010

The place is far away from anything the cabins are dirty and in poor shape...u have to sleep on a lumpy bed backwards because of the slanted floors and the owners are rude people.

• Stayed August 2010
4 Thank kloMassachusetts
, Owner at A Better Life Cabins, responded to this review, 18 August 2010
I can not even imagine where this reviewer stayed. No one came to me or my husband with any issues regarding their cabin, if they had, we would have addressed their concern(s).

Our cabins were built in 1933. If the reviewer was looking for a modern hotel without any "character" then our place certainly would not be what she was looking for.

2010 is our 10th year as owners of A Better Life and we felt it was time for lots of updates to the cabins. We began both structural and cosmetic updates in April. The updates continue with exterior painting however most (if not all) of the interior updates have been completed. For 2010 ALL of our cabin interiors have been freshly painted, many with new carpet, new vinyl floors (bathrooms) and all have NEW beds. There are lots more "New" and "Updated" but the list is extensive & I am limited by the medium. A couple of the cabins had developed a "lean" over the years; complete structural rebuilds & leveling of those cabins were completed well before August. At this time we can not locate any "leaning" floors.

Current photos of the cabins are available on our web site and our Facebook page. We constantly receive compliments on the cleanliness of the cabins both on our little survey that we leave for each guest as well as on our Facebook page.

We are located in the heart of the White Mountain Region of New Hampshire. Specifically, we are located in the Mt Washington Valley, just outside the White Mountain National Forest. Our location, as stated on our web site, is "Away From The Crowds, Yet Close To Everything". We are 9 miles from N Conway & the outlets located there. Being just outside the national forest, we are moments from endless hiking trails for every ability. Saco River access is but 1/2 mile, Echo Lake a mere 10 minutes & Storyland is only 5.5 miles from ABL. We are close to so very many things I can not begin to list them all. I have no idea what the reviewer wanted to be near, but we are near everything the area has to offer.

As to being rude; again, I do not know who this person is or why she did not come to us directly with her concerns however HAD she (or anyone) come to us and behaved rudely despite our attempts to be civil we might just end the conversation. We treat folks in a civil manner and do expect to be treated in kind. Our "Friendliness" is another reason folks give as a reason for why they return to us year after year.

Should the reviewer wish to contact us directly, we would be happy to have a conversation regarding her apparent displeasure with her stay.

Lynn Wilczek
SE Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 October 2009

I loved that this campground was not packing in among three others, yet it was very conveniently located between Conway and Franconia Notch. There were many trails to hike within 10 minutes driving time.

I decided on this place, because I wanted something in between camping and hotel and it definitely fit that expectation. The bed was comfortable and it was nice to have a private shower, which some cabins I stayed in did not offer. The buildings are a bit old, but they have been updated, at least in decor.

Our cabin's floor was not completely level, but I don't think that it really affected our comfort. The staff was very friendly and willing to help with anything we needed. Overall I had no complaints, but as another reviewer said, if you are looking for a hotel quality room, you probably want to look elsewhere.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sarahguent
Southampton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2009

If you want a cabin away from North Conway but close to all the attractions of the White Mountains this is in the perfect location. We stopped there for 1 week and found the owners friendly and very helpful. The cabin was very basic but had everything we needed including a picnic table and barbecue. It wasn't the cleanest or plushest place we have ever stayed at and the bathroom door wouldn't close but the location made up for any minor problems with the cabin. If you are used to 4 star hotels it won't be for you.
We loved it !

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank hedgenders
Littleton
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2008

Family of three with 5 year old toddler spent two nights in cabin 7 for a nightly rate of $90. Cabin 7 was a clean, cozy, 2-bedroom cabin with a full bed and twin bunk beds. It had everything we needed, including private bathroom (without the hassle of a coin-operated shower for hot water), refrigerator, microwave, coffeemaker, stove, TV with remote, linens, and a roof over our belongings in case of rain. It was a good alternative to tent camping because open, screened windows still made us feel outdoors (as opposed to A/C in a motel room). Location made for some traffic noise, but no noise from neighbors made the experience relatively peaceful and private. Proprietor was friendly and welcoming. We rate the cabin as above average because we have no other cabin-experience to compare against. With a quieter location and a lower price, we would rate the cabin as excellent.

• Liked — Value
  • Disliked — Location
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with family