“Great place for children!”

North Colony Motel and Cottages
Ranked #6 of 12 Hotels in Bartlett
billerica
“Great place for children!”
Reviewed 9 June 2008

We stayed in one of the cottages this weekend and we loved it! The cottages were very clean with modern appliances. Our family had a great time with Storyland not too far away, plus the added bonus of swimming and a huge playground right on the hotel grounds. We are already planning on going back next year.

• Liked — All of the child friendly activities
  • Disliked — The black flies
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled with family

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
New York City, New York
Reviewed 6 June 2008

The hotel is in a handsome location. The price is a big selling point. The fridge and microwave is nice, especially for hikers. However, it's a real drive for food. That's the trade-off.

• Stayed October 2007, travelled as a couple
Georgia
Reviewed 24 November 2007

We stayed at this motel for 2 nights to tour the surrounding area. It was a good base point for exploring. The motel is nothing fancy by any means but it is a nice family oriented place with plenty of playground equipment my daughter loved, especially the tire swing. The rooms were clean and the people friendly. It was a nice setting with a good view and at the time we went there was little traffic. Its a typical older motel but it is clean and an excellent value. We stayed here 2 nights cheaper than the price of 1 night at the other hotels on our vacation.

• Liked — Affordable and clean, decent view privacy
  • Disliked — Out of the way for eating and shopping. We had to drive into Conway to get food.
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled with family
Scituate,MA
Reviewed 10 September 2007

I spent 2 nights at the North Colony with my husband and 2 daughters, 12 and 14. I picked the North Colony because it had a diving board. Both my daughters love to swim and dive. The water was great and both girls enjoyed it.

As my girls were swimming I could sit poolside and enjoy the scenery. The motel is nestled in the mountains and is very picturesque.

The motel was exactly as I picked it. A quaint motel which has been updated. The room had been recently painted with new fixtures in the bathroom, The shower curtain still had creases from the package. We had 2 double beds. The tv got pleny of channels. The room and the bathroom were both spacious.

My husband met the owners and they were very nice. I would definitely recommend this motel to my friends.

• Liked — The pool with diving board and slide
  • Disliked — loved it all
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled with family
Boston
Reviewed 2 July 2007

We stayed at the North Colony Hotel the last week of June. What a great place!! My two -year old daughter loved the play area, as did the other kids we saw there. The room was clean, the pool was great, and our family was very happy there. We can't wait to go back. We also have an eight month old. While we couldn't tell if he liked it or not, he seemed content.
The best thing about North Colony, however, is the location. We were very close to Storyland, which was great for the kids. If you love the outdoors you can't go wrong here. Each morning I hiked different trails that were absolutely unbelievable. I saw moose nearly everday, beavers, deer, porcupine, and breathtaking waterfalls and scenic overlooks. Just fantastic and all within minutes of the motel.
I would highly recommend this motel. The owners were always around, but not in a bad way. They were responsive and professional. Just a great place and a great vacation. We're hoping to go back later this summer.

• Liked — Location., playground
  • Disliked — Um... there wasn't enough time to do everything I wanted.
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled with family
2 Thank liamsdadBoston
East Taunton, MA
Reviewed 25 June 2007

It was a last minute decision to visit Storyland with two little kids. We usually stay in busy North Conway but the Inn was booked. We called several places that were also booked and were very leary of staying at a "local" motel. To our surprise the North Colony Motel was extremely clean. Walking distance to ice cream place. The pool and playground area were also very clean. Very quiet area. We would not hesitate to stay there again.

• Liked — Cleanliness and quiet
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled with family
Hartford, Connecticut
Reviewed 21 June 2007

We just got back from staying 3 nights at the motel. Our room was very serviceable (clean and decent), the motel had great play equipment for the kids, and it is located close to Storyland (and very, very close to Attitash mountain by the way). The pool was "heated", though the 79 degrees that the thermometer read hardly seemed "heated" to me. But for that area of NH, maybe that is "heated".

The problem with our stay occurred with my family (parents, sister, niece and nephew), which had the adjacent room. During the second day my sister (28 year old and 7 months pregnant with their second child) went to turn on the air conditioner and the knob broke in her hand. She reported it to the owners and the husband/owner (apparently after doing some online investigation as to locating a replacement knob) told them that they would be charged $32 for the knob. My father then stepped in and told them that they would not be paying anything for it, and that it was normal wear and tear. After going back and forth about it, the husband/owner invited my family (not us) to leave. When I returned from being out, my father told me what had happened and let me know that they had been asked to leave. We then went to the office and the wife/owner repeated that my family would be charged for the knob, but that we did not have to leave. The husband/owner then came into the office and the "discussion" resumed. The wife (to her credit) tried to keep things calm and tried reigning in her husband (though he was not "out of control" or anything, just getting upset). After talking to her husband in a back room she offered to move my family to another room with an operable AC. She made a point to say that the AC had buttons, and not a knob (which I thought was kind of rude). My father and the owners left it that the owners were going to charge his credit card for the knob, and my father was going to call his credit card company and have them cancel/not honor the charge and instead he was going to send them a check for the full amount less the $32. Essentially it was never resolved and may be settled in the future in court (at least both parties were very honest as to what they were going to do).

Now, you make the call. I was in the uncomfortable position of being split from my family - they were not going to release either of us from our obligations to pay for the full stay. At least my father had a strong argument to leave and fight them, but I technically had no reason to leave, and would have had the full stay charged to my credit card. That notwithstanding, in my opinion the knob could have broken in anyone hands - its just one of those things. At some point everything breaks, and you usually cannot tell when exactly that would be. That is a cost of doing business - and a relatively small cost at that.

Anyway, the place was pretty good, and the wife actually seemed reasonably nice. However, I probably would never stay there again as I now really question their judgment.

• Liked — Playscapes and location
  • Disliked — Problem with staff/owner
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled with family
3 Thank Realejaz
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bartlett
Bartlett Inn
Nordic Village Resort
Nordic Village Resort
#3 of 12 in Bartlett
Attitash Grand Summit Hotel

Been to North Colony Motel and Cottages? Share your experiences!