“Bedford Village Inn Review”

Bedford Village Inn
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Bedford
Medfield, Massachusetts, United States
“Bedford Village Inn Review”
Reviewed 19 February 2013

Property is beautiful...Wish the restaurant was attached to the main house. Would have like tea water to be hotter. Staff very accommodating..Nice touch with coffee maker in room. Mini bar prices are reasonable...Like the refrigerators in the room...Breakfast was great as was my cheeseburger thru room service...Cant wait to go back for Christmas when the inn is all decorated.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
York, Maine
Reviewed 16 February 2013

I used to work for a company who had some functions there. Always top notch food, service and decor. I haven't been there in about 10 years until today. I had a family function to attend to there and it's just as it was 10 years ago. Quality food, service and decor. The surroundings are warm and hospitable, the food is top quality and very tasty and the service is impeccable. I wish I lived closer to visit more often. Then, again, I wish I lived further away so I could stay there when visiting the area! Highly recommend.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 February 2013

Front foyer set with empty function tables which gave the feel of walking in the back door of a hotel. Room had musty smell, pillows had mildew smell, and the door stuck. Lighting was too dark. Wasn't romantic, dusty, like sleeping in a basement. Not worth the price. BVI is past it's glory days.

• Stayed February 2013
2 Thank NETRVLRS
Keene, New Hampshire, United States
Reviewed 30 January 2013

A 30th anniversary is a big event. My wife and I wanted a little getaway trip that was outside of Keene, our home town, but not so far away that we would spend a lot of time driving because I had to leave for a business trip the day after we came home. We chose the Bedford Village Inn, since it was an easy hour's drive from home. It was a great choice. Our suite was surprisingly large and comfortable. We had dinner in the restaurant, which included complimentary wine and cheese to start the meal. Both the food and the service were terrific. My only complaint was that the wine cellar was out of the half bottle of Shafer 1.5, a wine we were looking forward to sharing. I'm sorry to say we didn't have time to have breakfast at the Inn the next morning, since we had to get back to town. But, we have decided to plan another getaway soon.

Room Tip: Not very helpful here. We arrived at night and in winter. We didn't experience anything other th...
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 23 January 2013

We had gone to the Bedford Village Inn for a winter weekend getaway only a short drive from Boston. We spent a long time looking for a cute little place to go on tripadvisor. We were hoping for a quaint little inn, where we could just relax by the fire, read, and enjoy the countryside. Sadly, we were very disappointed by the lack of service and attention to detail that we have loved about visiting other country inns. Our first impression was that the main building itself is lovely, although it is off a rather large highway-like road. We arrived late on a Friday night, and couldn't even reach the front desk entirely, as there were props for an event to be held at the Inn stacked in front of the front desk. Regardless, we were able to check in, given a coupon for free wine and cheese the next day, and went to our room in the main house. It was a pretty spacious room for an inn, complete with a sitting area (although no fireplaces in the room), and four-poster king sized bed. Although the room itself was lovely, it did seem to smell a bit musty. We enjoyed the complimentary cookies that were put in the room with turn down service, and went to bed early. The next day, we drove to nearby Manchester, then headed back to the inn for a cozy afternoon by the fireplace in the Milk Room. Unfortunately, our cozy afternoon was disrupted by having to hear the sales pitch x 2 for having the Bedford Village Inn for a wedding. I get it. They do a lot of business as a wedding venue, but why not have the sales pitch in the main hall (where there was none) and let the paying guests enjoy the fireplace? We ultimately ended up sitting in the sitting area in our room, although we would have enjoyed the fireplace setting. We went to dinner at the main restaurant at the hotel, and were happy to be seated in a quaint, historic room near the fireplace. Dinner was okay, but didn't feel "farm fresh" or worth the prices that they were charging (about $30 for main course). We went to Corks (the wine bar) for after dinner drinks, and to redeem the coupon given at check in. They have a wonderful looking cheese menu--with several local cheeses, so we were excited to have some cheese to have our meal. Sadly, our "cheese plate" included mozzarella, pepper jack, and swiss (seemingly straight from the club store), so we didn't really get to try the local cheeses. I checked--none of those cheeses were on the cheese menu that they offered. My husband will be a bit mad at me for complaining about something that is supposedly "free" but I don't understand why they would give you something for free if they didn't want it to make a positive impression. This did not. However, I did enjoy Corks wine bar. In fact, it was probably the highlight of our trip. The bartender was wonderful, we got to meet other interesting people at the bar, and I got to try some great different wines as a wine flight. We went back to the room after the wine bar closed at 10 PM, and were surprised to see that there was no turn down service (meaning none of the delicious cookies that I had been waiting for, and the bed had not been turned down). I went to the front desk to ask if I could have any of the delicious cookies that I had been hoping for. The guy at the front desk said that there were no cookies, and he had no idea why there hadn't been turn down service in our room. I was kind of disappointed. My overall impression of this place is that they cater mostly to weddings, and sadly that if you go there as a guest NOT for a wedding, you may not get the personal service that you are looking for at a country inn.

3 Thank travelrabbit2003
Shelton, Connecticut, United States
Reviewed 19 January 2013

Wife and I had a Getaway weekend at BVI in January, '13. The place is beautiful. Our suite was top notch. The restaurant was fantastic (maybe the best breakfasts I've ever had). My only issue was with the bathroom linen. At a place this good, I expected "soft and fluffy", but we got "tired and scratchy". It's time to rotate out the current stuff and upgrade it to new.

woburn massachusetts
Reviewed 17 January 2013

We booked a post-holiday get away to the BVI and it generally fulfilled our expectations. The 3rd floor suite we were assigned was spacious, very comfortable, included 2 TV's, in room coffee and tea service and a clean and well stocked bathroom. In the paperwork we received it was noted that a function could take place in the downstairs function room but it was guaranteed to end by 11 p.m. It did occur, and watching TV was no problem, but the background noise from the first floor made reading difficult. As promised the function ended by 11pm.
The freshly baked cookies at turndown were welcome, as was the tea and assorted cookies from 4 to 6 in the downstairs lounge.
The attentive dining room staff was professional and the food was first-class. All in all, we look forward to another elegant get away to recuperate from the hectic holidays again next year. However, we will hope for a quieter evening sans function.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bedford
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Manchester Airport
#3 of 8 in Concord
Hilton Garden Inn Manchester Downtown
Hampton Inn & Suites Manchester - Bedford
Best Western Plus Executive Court Inn & Conference Center

Been to Bedford Village Inn? Share your experiences!