“"Best Meal Ever and I'm Not Kidding!"”
Review of Root - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Root
Dining options: Reservations
Description: We beautifully prepare earth’s freshest and finest ingredients for you—with a conscious effort to support local farms while using as many environmentally sustainable ingredients as possible.Located in the center of Bethlehem’s historic and beautiful Main Street, Root serves up fresh, locally sourced, delicious dishes in a warm and inviting atmosphere. Our authentic farm-to-table menu and beautiful ambiance create a truly enjoyable dining experience.Come experience what our LOVE of fresh and local tastes like…*Because we make everything from scratch in-house, almost our entire menu is gluten free upon request. Vegetarian friendly. Vegan upon request. Handicap Accessible. Entirely awesome.
Reviewed 11 October 2012

My brother is sometimes given to hyperbole, but this time he was pretty much on the mark when commenting on his recent meal at Root. For nearly a year we have been visiting Root and each time we have not been disappointed. This time, Rich, the cook, greeted us with a basket of freshly picked matsutake mushrooms, brought in that same afternoon by one of Rich's foragers. As a gift from the chef, the waitress brought the lightly sautéd matsutake mushroom with a sake based dipping sauce. What a special treat and to think that I didn't have to travel to the Pacific Northwest to enjoy this highly sought after mushroom! With its group of select farms in the region ("partners in grime"), Root specializes in farm to table produce. But with its team of foragers, Root can also offer a wider choice of native (and perhaps more exotic) New England produce on its menu. For starters, we enjoyed local beets topped with a velvety goat cheese panna cotta with just enough sweetness to contrast nicely with the balsamic reduction. For my main dish, I chose the Maine raised delmonico steak that was served with a cabernet reduction. For a moment I thought I was enjoying the steak at the Four Seasons in New York (it was that good!), and had to remind myself that I was in Bethlehem New Hampshire, sitting among out-of-state leaf peepers and not bankers and captains of industry on expense accounts. For dessert we all enjoyed a spoonful of the apple crisp, topped with a local New Hampshire vanilla ice cream. After coffee and goodbyes all around, we drove home through "The Notch", ie., Franconia Notch, still talking about the great meal we had. Before we left, however, we made sure that we were on the Root email list because we can hardly wait for the next "special" at the Root Restaurant.

1  Thank David S

Reviewed 10 October 2012

At last food as it should be. From the field to the table with an able Chef in between. Never thought I would have Elk to eat despite my good fortune of spending half of the year in South Africa with it's choice of meats. Just go to Root don't Route around and waste your time.

1  Thank Trev N
Reviewed 8 October 2012

One of the restaurants that is part of this farm to table movement spreading across the country. Short-menu list but well prepared dishes. We had their beet salad for starters, this was good then I had their rib-eye, this was excellent. My wife had their chicken breast which was so-so. Excellent creme-brulee. And don't miss their unique cocktails. Excellent service.

1  Thank ima1derer
Reviewed 1 October 2012

Had a great dinner at Root. One of the best steaks I have ever had. The menu changes almost daily to reflect what is fresh and in season, but you can't go wrong with anything on the menu. Great margaritas here too!

1  Thank Kentucky_Kat
Reviewed 27 September 2012

The atmosphere, service and-- yes-- food were, without a doubt, among the highest level we have experienced throughout our entire world-wide travels. Who would think this delightful establishment would be in the little town of Bethlehem, NH? The relaxed environment adds to the incredible dining experience with unique, fresh cuisine unmatched by other regional restaurants. Will plan to visit every time we are nearby.

1  Thank Busteron