Bear Mountain Lodge
Hillwinds Lodge(Franconia)(Great Value!)
US$97
Littleton Motel(Littleton)(Great Value!)
US$96
Stonybrook Motel & Lodge(Franconia)(Great Value!)
US$75
US$68
Travelocity
Country Squire Motel(Littleton)(Great Value!)
US$70
US$211
Profile Deluxe Motel(Twin Mountain)
All reviewsgreat roomlog cabinhot tubturkeywhite mountainsmy wife and igreat hostsat homefire pitmoose hollowbreakfast was deliciousmt washingtonwood stoveeach morningeagles nestback porchnew hampshire
Reviewed 9 January 2014

We recently stayed at Bear Mountain Lodge for four nights. Although the location of the lodge is wonderful, we were generally disappointed in our stay. Our room, although large, was not well-equipped for a comfortable stay. There was only one chair in the room, so that one of us had to sit on the bed to read. There was no place in the bathroom or even in the bedroom to place our toiletries, so they ended up on the bathroom floor, which was awkward. It would have been so helpful to have a small table either in the bathroom or outside of it. It just seemed that the owners had not invested in some of the basics to make this a comfortable stay for guests.

What's more, at times we found the owner almost overbearing. It seemed that every time we returned to the lodge, he was right there at the front door to make sure we took off our shoes. We also weren't allowed to watch the big screen TV in the lower floor common area after 9:30 pm out of concern for the other guests. We certainly would have kept the sound down out of consideration for other guests, but "no TV" was the house rule. This meant that we had no choice but to watch the outdated TV in our room, which was so small that we couldn't see the picture from the bed (from where we had to watch it due to the lack of chairs in the room). Overall, there were too many 'house rules' that we needed to obey, and this made it difficult to relax in this environment.

We had expected a warm and welcoming atmosphere as we typically have found at other B&Bs, with some freedom to unwind. Innkeepers have to convey some modicum of trust to their guests, and we didn't find that here.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank gardendreamer
CarolKNH, Owner at Bear Mountain Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 10 January 2014

Thanks for sharing your input, we try to learn from all of our guests to make the Lodge even better. We're sorry that you did not find your room comfortable. The first floor rooms are smaller than the rest of the king rooms which all have room for two chairs and/or a couch. All of our photos are very accurate and the first floor rooms show that there is only one rocking chair in the room. If guests like to read or spend lots of time in their room then we recommend that they choose a larger room with two chairs in the seating area. Most of our guests do not spend their time in their room so they find these smaller, less expensive rooms fit the bill for their needs. We could fit an additional chair in each room, however we would need to remove the bureau and have two very small chairs, not the large rocking chair. We'll look into that scenario to see if it will work. As for the TV, Whitetail is the last room to receive an upgrade to a flat panel TV and is on the list for 2014.

I'm perplexed why someone would put their toiletries on a bathroom floor. The vanity is a single one and has limited room to keep large toiletries so we also have a hook that guests use to hang their toiletry bag. For those ladies who bring full size products or don't use a toiletry bag, I've always found that they put their stuff inside the vanity like at home - it's completely empty aside from the extra toilet paper and the blow dryer so there was no need to place items on the floor.

When guests check in during the winter, we do ask that they remove their shoes to keep the snow, sand and salt off of our wood floors. We do have grippy socks available if someone doesn't have slippers or their own thick socks - they're in a basket by the door. I'm sorry that you found Michael opening the door for you when you returned to the Lodge overbearing as if he was trying to make sure that you took off your shoes. I can assure you that he opens the door for guests throughout the year to see if he can get you anything like dinner reservations, etc. for that evening. It's not to check up on you, he's trying to be a great innkeeper/concierge. It's also the time he typically tells guests about the treats that are waiting in the dining room.

We have setup various places throughout the Lodge for guests to relax and enjoy themselves. The new bar/pool room is a great place and many guests enjoy it. However, to ensure that nearby guests are not disturbed after 9:30 in the evening, we do close off the pool room. We also close the hot tub at 10pm for the same reason. We've had instances where guests have the TV cranked up or are trying to play pool very late in the evening, disturbing others. With not much other sound and no outside noises, the Lodge is a very quiet place so loud noises travel. This often happens when couples come together and want a place to hang out. While mosts guests are considerate, we have found that closing the room after 9:30 is the only way to ensure that others aren't disturbed. My husband found these guests in the pool room with the door closed over at about 10pm when he went in to shut off the lights. The guests asked if they could stay if they "lowered the volume" so they could watch the game. At that point so as to not have a confrontation, Michael said that was fine. So they did watch their game. We do not have a "NO TV" rule, that's ridiculous to insinuate. However, we do have a policy that you cannot disturb others because they too want to relax and enjoy their visit to Bear Mountain Lodge. We have to worry about all of our guests and not one particular group.

Also, these particular guests were here for our New Year's Eve celebration. They were upset that the weather did not cooperate and they couldn't go snowshoeing. With only 2-3 inches of snow, it's unsafe to snowshoe on trails throughout the woods as the branches stick up and can cause knee injuries - so my husband was unable to take them out and perhaps that clouded their visit as well.

It's hard for innkeepers to please everyone, as much as we'd like to. Guests do have freedom to unwind at the Lodge so long as they're not disturbing others. Guests need to be mindful that they have only rented one room, not the entire Lodge so we're responsible to the other 16 people staying with us as well. We have a few rules we've had to put into place over these past 8 years and they're for the benefit of our guests - not just us. If taking off your shoes to not ruin the floor or not watching TV or cracking pool balls in the game room late at night are rules that will upset you, then certainly you should consider another lodging property.

If you're a couple looking for a wonderful getaway, caring innkeepers and a great breakfast then we hope you'll consider Bear Mountain Lodge for your next trip to NH. Thanks.

Reviewed 7 January 2014

Unique, warm, friendly, beautiful... all just begin to describe this special place. More private and less formal than most bed and breakfasts we've stayed in. The lodge is a log cabin which was designed for guests, rather than a house which was refitted to be a bed and breakfast. We had a large downstairs room which opened to the back yard. We used the grounds, fire pit and played scrabble in the main room - all with privacy. Somehow even with other guests, the place is big enough to have as much - as little- interaction as you desire.
Breakfasts were delicious and the kitchen area had snacks and drinks available throughout the day.
The property is breathtaking with lots to do around the area. We never had a problem finding a good dinner. Michael and Carol were happy to help with suggestions.
If you are looking for a special place, this is it!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

Thanks Liz for taking the time to write a review and we're so happy that you enjoyed your stay. We don't often get to use the great room as we like our guests to have privacy so we're not out there often (except Michael to get the fire going). But when there's no one at the Lodge one of my favorite things is to play scrabble with my daughter by the fireplace - so I'm glad you got to experience that.

We love hearing that you felt you could relax without having other guests around, feeling crowded. The new game room/bar area does allow guests to spread out more giving a feeling of more privacy and having the chess table up in the loft gives guests another little area to retreat to.

Take care and we're happy that you had a great stay.

Reviewed 6 January 2014

My husband and I stayed at the lodge for two nights. Michael ( we never saw Carol) greeted us at the door upon our arrival he was very friendly and was eager to assist us with anything we needed. The lodge was very clean and nicely decorated. We enjoyed the pool table, the hot tub and the snow shoeing on the property. The breakfast was very good, right size for me but my husband enjoys a big breakfast was a little disappointed ( we both agreed it tasted great).The property is beautiful and the view from our room (moose hollow) was wonderful of the mountains. The breakfast area had a nice view and was very comfy ( cookies in the afternoon nice touch). I liked all the little extras ( scrabble game,pretend candles in the room, DVD and CD player). My only complaint which really can be a problem in many places ( hearing the people above us and next door).

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

We're so happy that you enjoyed your stay with us and got to you the hot tub and game room (people seem to love the new bar area and pool table). And thanks for the kind words regarding breakfast tasting great. I just got a new cookbook for bread baking and I will be adding homemade bread/toast each morning to the plate for those guys who love a big breakfast so that everyone is happy.

I'm sorry that I did not get to meet you and promise to do so on your next visit. As many guests joke with Michael, Carol sitings can be a rare event depending on the time of year. I run the entire back of the house from cooking, food shopping, marketing, business planning/bills, wedding/event planning and dealing with our vendors, etc. A full time job in and of itself, We also have two kids in middle school and high school who play basketball. It's full swing basketball season right now so I'm in the car when I'm not in the kitchen. Thankfully I'm not a hockey Mom getting early morning ice time. In fact, I'm writing this reply as I get ready to head to my daughter's came about 20 minutes from here to race back to Bethlehem to pick her up, get her home and then head to a game for my son tonight. The good thing is that Michael is awesome and there for our guests when I can't be.

Thanks again for the great review and I will be sure to meet you on your visit.

Reviewed 28 December 2013

My husband Bill and I just returned from a 2 night stay here at this unique log cabin B&B. The first thing that I have to mention is that the natural beauty of the structure itself is worth checking out for at least one night! The hospitable owners mike and carol and the delicious food served in the morning are the other 2 reasons you should experience this place for your self.
This is exactly the type of B&B you might imagine wanting to stay in when traveling north just after the first snow falls, but I think I'd be hard pressed to find another B&B like this.
The entire place is immaculately kept with much attention to detail.
It's cozy and tastefully decorated with only enough pieces ( mostly brown bears) to allow the true beauty of all the natural woods and rustic furniture to stand out.

The breakfast room is is cozy yet spacious enough for guests to move around when grabbing another coffee. or tea. This room is positioned so that you get great views of the white mountains from the large windows.
Michael served us orange challah bread French toast the first morning and a caramelized onion quiche the second morning , both were excellent meals preceded by a fruit and yogurt parfait course.
If your looking to feel stuffed or love getting a heaping pile of butter sitting on top of a bunch of toast you won't find that here:)
My husband and I stayed in the bears den room. We were totally happy with the room. It was spacious private and romantic. We had mountain views with a little back door that leads to a bistro table where we drank champaign and had some cheese and crackers. The fireplace was not only gorgeous, but gave off plenty of heat. The jacuzzi tub worked great and we took advantage of that each evening after our winter hikes. The king size bed was huge which we loved. I will mention the one downside to the room so you know that this is a review written by a human;)
For both my husband and I, we found the mattress to be too saggy/soft in some parts for our sleep preference. We found ourselves both inching in toward the middle to find a firm spot which pretty much canceled out the king size feel. Mattresses are a personal preference that of course the room and our overall experience is still 5 star.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 December 2013

We greatly enjoyed the views from the back porch and the hot tub under the star lit sky. Our room (the Bear Den) felt really luxurious, with the king size bed, jacuzzi and fireplace. But its location right underneath the dining room / central living area and it all being wood construction, meant we woke up way too early when people started walking around. Also, breakfast tastes great, but portions are small, which made us go get an extra breakfast bagel down the street. Overall, lots of attention to presentation but perhaps not enough to the basics, especially given the stiff rates.

Room Tip: The Bear den is great if you are a solid sleeper
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank Kardaf
CarolKNH, Owner at Bear Mountain Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 2 December 2013

Thank you for writing a review and expressing your feeling for your foliage visit. We are sorry that your time with us was not perfect as we try very hard to see that all of our guests have a wonderful stay. We have put a lot into making the Lodge as comfortable, clean and beautiful as possible and we're happy that you enjoyed Bear Den - it's a guest favorite with the fireplace, in-room jacuzzi and king size bed. Rest assured that this is not "all for presentation" - we work very hard to create a great atmosphere where guests can unwind and relax and we truly care that everyone has a wonderful stay.

It sounds like during your visit there was a guest up early walking around the Lodge over your room being loud. Most of our guests are not up with the sun but unfortunately we do get some guests who don't appreciate that others are sleeping in. Innkeepers cannot control when guests get up and where they go in the early morning hours. We do take steps to keep noise down and in fact close the pool room at 9:30 so no one is making noise in the evening while someone is sleeping. Beyond that we don't want to put up signs reminding guests to be polite and that it's not OK to go out onto the deck and have loud conversations while they watch the sunrise. This is common sense and decency and we hope that all guests know this - sometimes however it's not the case and we're sorry that someone was loud above you.

Each morning we serve a two course breakfast which starts with either a fruit course, yogurt parfait or homemade scones/muffins. We follow this with french toast, pancakes, frittatas or quiches along with bacon, sausage or kielbasa. What I've come to realize is that our European guests are very used to having toast every morning - I've even had guests ask me for two pieces of toast after I've just serve them four large triangles of orange french toast. Since you specifically mention going out for a bagel after breakfast, I can only assume that you fall into the category of European guests who have lots of carbs for breakfast. We always have toast and/or English muffins available and are glad to make some for guests wanting more - all a guest has to do is ask and we're happy to accommodate you - and believe me most guests aren't shy in asking for toast so we only wish you had spoken up. We found in the past that after eating the first course and the main course, the toast was typically thrown out being wasteful.

While innkeepers try to be ahead of everything, we can't read minds to know that you're not full after breakfast - so if you're coming to stay at Bear Mountain Lodge and would like some toast or English muffins with your breakfast, please don't hesitate to ask.

Carol & Michael