“Home away from home”

Bear Mountain Lodge
Ranked #1 of 8 Bethlehem B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 21 January 2014

For the record, this was not our first stay, but every time we do come, we feel warm and welcomed. My wife and I arrived later than anticipated, and was appreciative of Mike being there to let us in. He is always warm and pleasant. From our first visit, he and Carol took the time to get to know us, and even welcomed us into their family by introducing us to their daughter. Every night we are there my wife and I sit in the great room with Mike, Carol and their daughter. They always want to hear how things are with us, and what is new in your lives. We have been to other B&B's, and the owners don't usually show the passion for the "job" that Mike and Carol do.

The lodge:
Gorgeous. Absolutely gorgeous. We have been for all four seasons, and the views are always great. Each room has been very clean and are themed with different animals from the north country (elk, turkey, deer, etc). It gives a nice flavor and makes it not seem like a hotel. The lower rooms are slightly larger, which is nice, and allows easier access to the outdoor hot tub, however they are a little more expensive. We have been snowshoeing on the property (when the snow is around) and Mike was able to take us around and show us some local wildlife. They both had helpful opinions on places to eat (LOVED the new brewery in Littleton), and things to do.

We will always consider the Bear Mountain Lodge as our go to B&B.

Room Tip: The downstairs rooms are the most expensive, but are the best (in my opinion) because of the size an...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
CarolKNH, Owner at Bear Mountain Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 24 January 2014

Thanks Andrew for taking the time to write a review and it was great having you back for another visit. One of the best things about being an innkeeper is that we get the chance to meet awesome people we would otherwise probably never meet. You guys have become more than guests and Emily enjoys sitting with you when you visit (and it's not just about the chocolate she said to tell you). The fact that we now enjoy the Highland Games in September each year because we have friends to cheer on is something we couldn't have imagined. And as Innkeepers we love repeat guests because it gives us more opportunity to get to know them. You guys are a great couple and we look forward to visiting with you away from the Lodge soon.

Reviewed 16 January 2014

The only disappointing part of our stay in NH was that we just didn’t feel comfortable or as “at-home” as we’ve felt in other places we’ve stayed. We loved this area; it is great for winter sports and hiking. We did some wonderful cross country and snow shoeing at a few places just down the road from the lodge. We also had quite a few excellent meals at area restaurants. The location was convenient and the lodge itself is quite attractive, set back away from the highway and surrounded by snow covered trees. However, it felt a bit too uptight with rules to be mindful of, both written and unwritten. The owners, Mike & Carol, came across to us as less than flexible. So, instead of being able to kick back and relax, my husband and I constantly felt like we had to be on our best behavior.
The first unwritten rule is once in the front door you’ll be instructed to take your shoes off. Be sure to have slip on shoes or slippers to leave at the front door. There are some unpackaged, reusable socks in a basket at the front door if you are comfortable with that, I preferred my own slippers.

I read the T.A. reviews about the breakfasts being too sweet and too small. I chose to ignore those reviews. Shame on me! Seriously, the breakfasts are more like desserts and it’s true, they are not hearty. We just didn’t feel at all comfortable enough with these owners to have asked for something in addition to what they were serving. Many places have self-serve instant oatmeal, cold cereal or toast that guests can have in addition to or instead of the breakfast being served. A self-serve breakfast area would be a nice addition and it would make it conducive to getting an earlier start to the day’s activities than what the scheduled 8:30 am - 9:30 am seating allows.

Quiet hours are typical for many lodges and hotels and are usually either communicated initially, or posted in the room. It would have been helpful to have known all the rules upfront. For instance, my husband learned that the hot tub is off limits at 8:15 a.m. when Mike stopped him in his tracks in the common area in front of other guests. He was in his bathing suit, towel in hand. He came back into our room shaking his head. Very embarrassing. Apparently, the hot tub is too noisy and they situated it too close to a first floor guest room. We did get to use the hot tub later in the afternoon and enjoyed it. The big downside was that it was a death defying feat to get to it. We were shown the basket of towels and the door leading down to the hot tub area when we got the initial tour. Mike never mentioned a safer route. The deck and stairs down to the hot tub were never shoveled and were allowed to ice over. This oversight baffles me since they seem to be so focused on every other detail, yet totally ignored the deck and steps which were a huge safety hazard. Later, my husband and I found the safer way to go was from the first floor bar/billiard room door. We later surmised that another of those unwritten/uncommunicated rules was that this door was not the door they want you to use when Mike came outside to do some things and then proceeded to lock us out there. He made his point clear that he wanted us to go back up the steps to the deck and in through the correct door. There was a nice couple playing pool who let us back in through the first floor door. I would believe that this was accidental except that as I’ve mentioned they are honed into every detail and being that the hot tub is so loud that it can’t be used in the morning, makes it impossible to believe he didn’t see or hear guests out there.

Television isn’t important to us when we travel, but my husband wanted to watch the football playoffs and the TV in our room was about the size of an iPad. So he went downstairs to watch it on the large screen in the billiard room, but was told he’d have to wrap it up at half time so that quiet hours could be observed—another unwritten rule. Seemingly, when they designed the inn they situated guest rooms too close to this room.

We try to spend our hard earned vacation time and money wisely, needless to say we won’t be spending either of those here again.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
6  Thank pedlfastr
CarolKNH, Owner at Bear Mountain Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 17 January 2014

We're sorry that these guests didn't enjoy their stay with us. Their review, along with their traveling partners similar "3" rating last week are not something that we take lightly. However, we have thousands of guests each year and our rave reviews from over 400 guests show what a stay at Bear Mountain Lodge is really like. And almost every review talks about how warm and welcoming Michael is to our guests so this is baffling to me that they didn't feel welcome. It appears that this has more to do with them not liking a few simple rules we have to ensure all guests have a great time rather than anything Michael did.

I will respond to a couple items in their post to clarify for future guests. First, we certainly do ask guests to take off their shoes in the winter when they arrive to keep the Lodge clean and protect our wood floors. If you can image 18 pairs of shoes coming into the Lodge covered in snow, ice, sand and SALT what the floors could look like. Most guests have no issue taking off their shoes, it's also kind of a North Country thing - no one enters another's home up here without removing your shoes. We have boot trays and socks that get washed after each use. Lots of guests bring their own slippers as well. We've had guests with foot problems so it's not possible for them to remove their shoes and go barefoot. We certainly understand and want those guests to wear their shoes for their comfort. We had such a guest who even asked us for an old towel to get the salt/sand off before he would walk on our floors. If keeping your shoes on prevents you from "kicking back and relaxing" them I'm sorry you felt that way.

Breakfast here is different each morning and I try to alternate it between a sweet and a savory dish as the main course. As our website states, we serve a first course such as cranberry poached pears, baked bananas, apple & pear crisp, fruit parfait or a homemade scone or muffin. In the winter, about the only fruit we have that's good up here in the mountains are apples, pears and bananas so this also affects what I can serve. This is followed by either a frittata, quiche, pancakes, french toast or crepes. While preparing all of these, I also have to take into account dietary restrictions and allergies, sometimes changing menu items at the last minute upon learning of an allergy at checkin the night before. These guests stayed for 4 nights so yes they had two sweet dishes which apparently is not what they like. I'm learning that various age groups don't like sweet things for breakfast, but again I have to cater to all of my guests and serve a breakfast that almost everyone will enjoy. We currently don't have room for a self-serve breakfast area but many guests who don't enjoy sweet breakfasts have told us that they'd prefer just toast and coffee and we're happy to accommodate. Innkeepers do a great job taking care of people but can't read minds so you have to let us know or we can't help you have a nice stay.

As noted in our other reply to their friends' review, we do have quiet hours in two areas. We added the hot tub and the pool room for guests to enjoy. However, we do have quiet hours for both so that the other 16 guests are not disturbed. It's not that the hot tub is too loud running, it's guests who decide to go in before breakfast even begins while others are sleeping and their voices carry. I'd be very upset if I went away for a weekend and was woken up by a couple talking in the hot tub under the windows at 8:15. This happened to me at another Inn in Maine when guests decided to go out at 8am and walk around the property looking at the gardens with their coffee, talking about all the wonderful perennials, waking others up because they were clueless to how their voices were carrying.

The pool room is another place we added a couple years ago (after the rest of the Lodge was built) so that guests could have something to do on a rainy day or before heading out for dinner. There is a room beside that so to ensure those guests are not disturbed, we close the pool room at 9:30. Regarding the TV, at no point did my husband tell them "to wrap it up at half-time." If half-time came at 9:30, then obviously these guests would have been in the room until after 11pm watching a game, cheering when their team scored, etc. - again disturbing others who weren't up watching the game. It's a catch 22 for us, but we always err on the side of those couples away for a quiet romantic weekend at a B&B as most are. They aren't here to watch a ballgame.

During their stay, it was drizzling/sleeting/snowing off and on so it was impossible to keep the stairs off the deck safe for use. In fact, we only shoveled the deck for our New Year's Eve party so that guests could go out and stand to watch the fireworks. The rest of the time guests used the slider door in the pool room to access the hot tub. At one point, this guest made the comment "I found the secret way to the hot tub." Obviously, MIchael forgot to show these guests the door upon checkin, and we're certainly sorry about that. During normal weather patterns, everyone uses the stairs off the deck. And of course he'd never intentionally lock a guest out - he didn't see anyone in the hot tub and saw the door unlocked so he just went ahead and locked it. Obviously a mistake, we weren't trying to make these guests use a snow-covered staircase. We will be sure to always double-check the hot tub before locking a door again.

Unfortunately, these guests booked our 4 night New Year's Eve package along with their friends which was supposed to include a free guided snowshoe hike with Michael. During their stay, we had unseasonably warm weather with rain and it made snowshoeing impossible for everyone. They asked Michael on several occasions to take them snowshoeing but we felt it was unsafe to do so without proper snow cover. Imagine wooded trails throughout the forest with only an inch of snow and lots of sticks poking out - the perfect recipe for a knee injury. They were very unhappy that they didn't get their snowshoe hike, as was Michael because he loves taking guests on evening treks with headlamps - it's really cool.

I've discovered over the past eight years that we can't please everyone and that you're always going to get those guests who aren't happy with something. However, I've also learned that Michael and I do a darn good job of making people feel welcome in our home and that almost everyone has a fabulous stay at Bear Mountain Lodge.

Reviewed 11 January 2014 via mobile

From the moment we arrived, Bear Mountain Lodge felt like a home away from home. Mike and Carol did an outstanding job making us feel welcome and taken care of - from taking a few moments to just chat with us, to recommending restaurants, to preparing beautiful, delicious breakfasts and warm cookies every afternoon. The great room is a feast for the eyes - floor-to-ceiling windows with Mt. Washington views framed by the phenomenal architecture of a log cabin. Our room was comfortable, impeccably clean, and beautifully decorated. I can't say enough good things about our stay. Mike and Carol - Thank you, thank you, thank you for everything! We will absolutely be back!

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Thanks for the lovely comments, we appreciate you taking your time to write a review. It's wonderful that you felt at home from the moment Michael greeted you, he works hard to make our guests feel like this is the kind of place where they can relax and unwind. And I'm happy that you enjoyed your breakfast and afternoon cookies, they're always a guest favorite when returning from a day out and about. What's better than a cup of coffee and some chocolate chip cookies in the afternoon when away on vacation?

I'd like to take a moment to acknowledge our assistant Tammy for working with us to keep the Lodge so clean, she does an excellent job making sure the rooms are ready for guests to check in and enjoy their time away. Obviously her hard work is noticed by our guests because we are always getting comments on the Lodge being immaculate.

We enjoyed having you as our guests and look forward to having you stay with us again. Take care.

Reviewed 9 January 2014

We recently stayed at Bear Mountain Lodge for four nights. Although the location of the lodge is wonderful, we were generally disappointed in our stay. Our room, although large, was not well-equipped for a comfortable stay. There was only one chair in the room, so that one of us had to sit on the bed to read. There was no place in the bathroom or even in the bedroom to place our toiletries, so they ended up on the bathroom floor, which was awkward. It would have been so helpful to have a small table either in the bathroom or outside of it. It just seemed that the owners had not invested in some of the basics to make this a comfortable stay for guests.

What's more, at times we found the owner almost overbearing. It seemed that every time we returned to the lodge, he was right there at the front door to make sure we took off our shoes. We also weren't allowed to watch the big screen TV in the lower floor common area after 9:30 pm out of concern for the other guests. We certainly would have kept the sound down out of consideration for other guests, but "no TV" was the house rule. This meant that we had no choice but to watch the outdated TV in our room, which was so small that we couldn't see the picture from the bed (from where we had to watch it due to the lack of chairs in the room). Overall, there were too many 'house rules' that we needed to obey, and this made it difficult to relax in this environment.

We had expected a warm and welcoming atmosphere as we typically have found at other B&Bs, with some freedom to unwind. Innkeepers have to convey some modicum of trust to their guests, and we didn't find that here.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank gardendreamer
CarolKNH, Owner at Bear Mountain Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 10 January 2014

Thanks for sharing your input, we try to learn from all of our guests to make the Lodge even better. We're sorry that you did not find your room comfortable. The first floor rooms are smaller than the rest of the king rooms which all have room for two chairs and/or a couch. All of our photos are very accurate and the first floor rooms show that there is only one rocking chair in the room. If guests like to read or spend lots of time in their room then we recommend that they choose a larger room with two chairs in the seating area. Most of our guests do not spend their time in their room so they find these smaller, less expensive rooms fit the bill for their needs. We could fit an additional chair in each room, however we would need to remove the bureau and have two very small chairs, not the large rocking chair. We'll look into that scenario to see if it will work. As for the TV, Whitetail is the last room to receive an upgrade to a flat panel TV and is on the list for 2014.

I'm perplexed why someone would put their toiletries on a bathroom floor. The vanity is a single one and has limited room to keep large toiletries so we also have a hook that guests use to hang their toiletry bag. For those ladies who bring full size products or don't use a toiletry bag, I've always found that they put their stuff inside the vanity like at home - it's completely empty aside from the extra toilet paper and the blow dryer so there was no need to place items on the floor.

When guests check in during the winter, we do ask that they remove their shoes to keep the snow, sand and salt off of our wood floors. We do have grippy socks available if someone doesn't have slippers or their own thick socks - they're in a basket by the door. I'm sorry that you found Michael opening the door for you when you returned to the Lodge overbearing as if he was trying to make sure that you took off your shoes. I can assure you that he opens the door for guests throughout the year to see if he can get you anything like dinner reservations, etc. for that evening. It's not to check up on you, he's trying to be a great innkeeper/concierge. It's also the time he typically tells guests about the treats that are waiting in the dining room.

We have setup various places throughout the Lodge for guests to relax and enjoy themselves. The new bar/pool room is a great place and many guests enjoy it. However, to ensure that nearby guests are not disturbed after 9:30 in the evening, we do close off the pool room. We also close the hot tub at 10pm for the same reason. We've had instances where guests have the TV cranked up or are trying to play pool very late in the evening, disturbing others. With not much other sound and no outside noises, the Lodge is a very quiet place so loud noises travel. This often happens when couples come together and want a place to hang out. While mosts guests are considerate, we have found that closing the room after 9:30 is the only way to ensure that others aren't disturbed. My husband found these guests in the pool room with the door closed over at about 10pm when he went in to shut off the lights. The guests asked if they could stay if they "lowered the volume" so they could watch the game. At that point so as to not have a confrontation, Michael said that was fine. So they did watch their game. We do not have a "NO TV" rule, that's ridiculous to insinuate. However, we do have a policy that you cannot disturb others because they too want to relax and enjoy their visit to Bear Mountain Lodge. We have to worry about all of our guests and not one particular group.

Also, these particular guests were here for our New Year's Eve celebration. They were upset that the weather did not cooperate and they couldn't go snowshoeing. With only 2-3 inches of snow, it's unsafe to snowshoe on trails throughout the woods as the branches stick up and can cause knee injuries - so my husband was unable to take them out and perhaps that clouded their visit as well.

It's hard for innkeepers to please everyone, as much as we'd like to. Guests do have freedom to unwind at the Lodge so long as they're not disturbing others. Guests need to be mindful that they have only rented one room, not the entire Lodge so we're responsible to the other 16 people staying with us as well. We have a few rules we've had to put into place over these past 8 years and they're for the benefit of our guests - not just us. If taking off your shoes to not ruin the floor or not watching TV or cracking pool balls in the game room late at night are rules that will upset you, then certainly you should consider another lodging property.

If you're a couple looking for a wonderful getaway, caring innkeepers and a great breakfast then we hope you'll consider Bear Mountain Lodge for your next trip to NH. Thanks.

Reviewed 7 January 2014

Unique, warm, friendly, beautiful... all just begin to describe this special place. More private and less formal than most bed and breakfasts we've stayed in. The lodge is a log cabin which was designed for guests, rather than a house which was refitted to be a bed and breakfast. We had a large downstairs room which opened to the back yard. We used the grounds, fire pit and played scrabble in the main room - all with privacy. Somehow even with other guests, the place is big enough to have as much - as little- interaction as you desire.
Breakfasts were delicious and the kitchen area had snacks and drinks available throughout the day.
The property is breathtaking with lots to do around the area. We never had a problem finding a good dinner. Michael and Carol were happy to help with suggestions.
If you are looking for a special place, this is it!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

Thanks Liz for taking the time to write a review and we're so happy that you enjoyed your stay. We don't often get to use the great room as we like our guests to have privacy so we're not out there often (except Michael to get the fire going). But when there's no one at the Lodge one of my favorite things is to play scrabble with my daughter by the fireplace - so I'm glad you got to experience that.

We love hearing that you felt you could relax without having other guests around, feeling crowded. The new game room/bar area does allow guests to spread out more giving a feeling of more privacy and having the chess table up in the loft gives guests another little area to retreat to.

Take care and we're happy that you had a great stay.

Reviewed 6 January 2014

My husband and I stayed at the lodge for two nights. Michael ( we never saw Carol) greeted us at the door upon our arrival he was very friendly and was eager to assist us with anything we needed. The lodge was very clean and nicely decorated. We enjoyed the pool table, the hot tub and the snow shoeing on the property. The breakfast was very good, right size for me but my husband enjoys a big breakfast was a little disappointed ( we both agreed it tasted great).The property is beautiful and the view from our room (moose hollow) was wonderful of the mountains. The breakfast area had a nice view and was very comfy ( cookies in the afternoon nice touch). I liked all the little extras ( scrabble game,pretend candles in the room, DVD and CD player). My only complaint which really can be a problem in many places ( hearing the people above us and next door).

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

We're so happy that you enjoyed your stay with us and got to you the hot tub and game room (people seem to love the new bar area and pool table). And thanks for the kind words regarding breakfast tasting great. I just got a new cookbook for bread baking and I will be adding homemade bread/toast each morning to the plate for those guys who love a big breakfast so that everyone is happy.

I'm sorry that I did not get to meet you and promise to do so on your next visit. As many guests joke with Michael, Carol sitings can be a rare event depending on the time of year. I run the entire back of the house from cooking, food shopping, marketing, business planning/bills, wedding/event planning and dealing with our vendors, etc. A full time job in and of itself, We also have two kids in middle school and high school who play basketball. It's full swing basketball season right now so I'm in the car when I'm not in the kitchen. Thankfully I'm not a hockey Mom getting early morning ice time. In fact, I'm writing this reply as I get ready to head to my daughter's came about 20 minutes from here to race back to Bethlehem to pick her up, get her home and then head to a game for my son tonight. The good thing is that Michael is awesome and there for our guests when I can't be.

Thanks again for the great review and I will be sure to meet you on your visit.

Reviewed 28 December 2013

My husband Bill and I just returned from a 2 night stay here at this unique log cabin B&B. The first thing that I have to mention is that the natural beauty of the structure itself is worth checking out for at least one night! The hospitable owners mike and carol and the delicious food served in the morning are the other 2 reasons you should experience this place for your self.
This is exactly the type of B&B you might imagine wanting to stay in when traveling north just after the first snow falls, but I think I'd be hard pressed to find another B&B like this.
The entire place is immaculately kept with much attention to detail.
It's cozy and tastefully decorated with only enough pieces ( mostly brown bears) to allow the true beauty of all the natural woods and rustic furniture to stand out.

The breakfast room is is cozy yet spacious enough for guests to move around when grabbing another coffee. or tea. This room is positioned so that you get great views of the white mountains from the large windows.
Michael served us orange challah bread French toast the first morning and a caramelized onion quiche the second morning , both were excellent meals preceded by a fruit and yogurt parfait course.
If your looking to feel stuffed or love getting a heaping pile of butter sitting on top of a bunch of toast you won't find that here:)
My husband and I stayed in the bears den room. We were totally happy with the room. It was spacious private and romantic. We had mountain views with a little back door that leads to a bistro table where we drank champaign and had some cheese and crackers. The fireplace was not only gorgeous, but gave off plenty of heat. The jacuzzi tub worked great and we took advantage of that each evening after our winter hikes. The king size bed was huge which we loved. I will mention the one downside to the room so you know that this is a review written by a human;)
For both my husband and I, we found the mattress to be too saggy/soft in some parts for our sleep preference. We found ourselves both inching in toward the middle to find a firm spot which pretty much canceled out the king size feel. Mattresses are a personal preference that of course the room and our overall experience is still 5 star.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bethlehem
Arlington Hotel
#1 of 2 in Bretton Woods
Sugar Hill Inn
Sugar Hill Inn
#1 of 4 in Sugar Hill

Been to Bear Mountain Lodge? Share your experiences!