Bear Mountain Lodge
Ranked #2 of 8 Bethlehem B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 8 February 2014 via mobile

My wife and I stayed here for 3 nights, and we loved it! The Lodge was absolutely beautiful, and the caretakers were very friendly and accommodating. Our king size bed was so comfortable! The breakfasts were delecious, and there were always fresh baked cookies. The views from the lodge are stunning. There are lots of good restaurants nearby in Bethlehem and Littleton. We are already planning on coming back!

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
CarolKNH, Owner at Bear Mountain Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 9 February 2014

Thank you for your review. We really appreciate hearing that guests have enjoyed their stay. And I'm glad that you loved how comfy the king beds are, we're constantly hearing that from guests. I'm not sure if you got to try some of the my homemade English Muffins on your recent trip, but they're going to be served more often so if you didn't you can certainly try some on the next visit. Take care.

Reviewed 1 February 2014

My husband and I first came to Bear Mountain Lodge during foliage season 2013. It was so gorgeous and enjoyable that we decided to bring two of our three adult daughters with us next time. We booked three nights in January and arrived in a snowstorm. It was beautiful outside but great to be able to cozy up to the warm fire when we got there. Michael and Carol are always so welcoming and helpful with tips for places to go for dinner or interesting activities to experience nearby. This time we tried the new brewery called Schillings in Littleton. It had a great "northern" atmosphere, rugged and casual but stylish, with very friendly service and simple but good food. On the night we went they also had live entertainment that started about 8 p.m.

We skied at Bretton Woods twice. It was cold but exhilarating with beautiful trails and stunning views of the Presidential mountain range. We purchased lift tickets from Carol and Michael (who offer a discounted price) at the inn and were happily on our way. We got ourselves to where we needed to be at the Base Lodge when we heard Carol's voice. She had realized we had the wrong tickets and drove in her car to find us to correct the mistake! Talk about great service!!

On our last day we enjoyed snowshoeing on the loop Michael groomed around the lodge. It was so pristinely beautiful, especially with the new snowcover, that I cannot imagine anything more perfect. We headed out on the trail about ten minutes after a young couple and offered to take their picture down by the river at the end of the loop. We later discovered he had proposed to her only minutes before we broke in on their bliss (sorry!). One consolation for us is that we were able to e-mail them the photo. Their camera was not working because it had frozen up.

Each morning we ate breakfast at the lodge and were pleasantly surprised by something new on the menu. One of our daughters has a sensitivity to dairy and had forgotten to mention that before we arrived. Michael and Carol were more than accommodating at the last minute and made her some scrambled eggs and toast.

When we organized the trip I was a little concerned that our twenty something daughters might not think this place was "cool" enough for them. To our delight we were told that they thought it was the best place ever, they felt at home in every way, and they would love to come back again sometime soon. Sounds like a good plan to me! Thank you again Carol and Michael.

Room Tip: All rooms are great.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank DeirdreFahy

Deidre thanks so much for the great review. It was our pleasure to have your family stay with us, your daughters were wonderful and we're so happy that they loved the Lodge. We do tend to have younger guests than some of the more formal B&Bs in the White Mountains, I think because there isn't a concern that they have to be dressed up or can't touch any of the antiques or it's just to fussy. Perhaps it's the beautiful pool table room or the outdoor hot tub or the in-room jacuzzis - whatever the reason, we love having them here.

I'm also glad that you got a chance to be the first ones out snowshoeing on the trail. Unless you get to do it, I don't think people realize just how peaceful and beautiful it is here on the property going through the woods amongst the snow-covered pines. Michael and I popped out the other night about 9pm after it snowed all day and it was gorgeous. We went down to the river and just stood there listening to the water, taking it all in.

And we're very happy to accommodate gluten and dairy allergies so it was our pleasure to make sure your daughter got to enjoy a great breakfast as well. We look forward to seeing you all again in the future. Take care.

Reviewed 27 January 2014

My boyfriend and I just stayed at the Bear Mountain Lodge. We had an awesome stay! From the minute we pulled up we knew we were going to love it. It is an absolutely beautiful home and we were really impressed by how great of a job Mike and Carol did on their home and how they run their b & b. As soon as we walked in we felt so relaxed and at home. It had such a great warmth and coziness to it, along with the gorgeous views of the mountains. It was such a relaxing place to stay, just what we wanted. We stayed for two nights , it was a great distance to everything , the ride to our snowmobiling adventure was so beautiful! After a long fun day doing that, coming back to the lodge to relax was just awesome! . I will definitely recommend this place and hope to be back! Thanks for a excellent stay! :)

• Stayed: January 2014
CarolKNH, Owner at Bear Mountain Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 29 January 2014

Thanks so much for the great review, we're glad that you were able to relax on your weekend getaway. The great room with the soapstone stove going is the perfect spot to just hang out, take in the views to Mt. Washington and do nothing! And I must agree that the ride through Crawford Notch over to Bartlett for snowmobiling with Northern Extremes is one of the prettiest rides in the area. We look forward to having you as our guests again the future. Take care.

Reviewed 24 January 2014

My husband and I stayed here just after Christmas. The lodge is very pretty and it is a beautiful spot however we both kept getting the feeling that we were being "kept tabs" on the whole time. The first evening Mike was right at the door and welcomed us (nice touch) but this continued the next night as well. We had a long day and got in fairly late but he was right there looking out the window. This made us feel a bit uncomfortable, When we spend our money to have a weekend away we don't like to feel that we are being watched so much. Breakfast was good but it was sooo quiet we felt everyone could hear our conversations. Overall i would say that it was a strange experience and would probably not return.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 848delz

As innkeepers, you are dealing with thousands of people each year from all over the country and all over the world with different personalities. Many want their hands held to feel special; some want us to sit with them for hours talking about the B&B; some want to be checked in and then left alone; and occasionally you get a guest who doesn't even speak to you during the check-in process, never comes to breakfast and checks-out without even a goodbye -- a wide range of people and personalities to try to please to say the least! Obviously you aren't going to please all so you do what works for you and the 98% of the people who stay with you. Most innkeepers are very gregarious people like us and that's why we're in this business. You want to go above and beyond to make your guests feels special and welcome in your home. I've stayed at B&Bs where the innkeeper couldn't be bothered to help you or give suggestions for dinner or hikes or day trips and is obviously taking your money and moving on - not a pleasant experience for most.

Here's a little background to help put this in perspective: We once had guests come back from dinner about 10:15 and there weren't any spaces in the lot for them (we have 9 spaces for our 9 rooms). We had heard a car pull in about 10pm one summer evening and assumed it was our last guests getting back from dinner. They then knocked on our kitchen door to ask if it was OK for them to just park right in front of the Lodge as there weren't any spaces left. Michael said of course and then went out to investigate who was in their space. Turns out it was someone who was traveling from Montreal to Maine with a Canadian plate and needed a safe place to pull in and rest for a while before they kept driving. Michael of course told them he wanted them to be safe but asked them to pull down the driveway further into an area where we park snowmobile trailers. They were thrilled he wasn't tossing them off the property and gladly moved.

So when we do have cars pull in late at night and we can't see the car or the guests from our side of the Lodge and the people are just sitting in their car for an extended time, Michael or I will go out to the front door to be sure it's guests returning and not someone else. In this case, I believe these guests sat in their car for quite a while, perhaps having a cigarette because we are completely non-smoking property. When they got close enough to the Lodge for Michael to see it was our guests he opened the door for them rather than ignoring them and going back into our side of the building.

As to the dining room being too quiet, we do play music at a low level so that it isn't dead quiet in there. Michael is out there greeting new guests as they come into the dining room and talking with other guests to help plan their day with suggestions for hikes, in the winter going over the weather for the day, etc. It's typically never that quiet in there, often times people are laughing as Michael tends to tell jokes about the breakfast being out of a box from Betty Crocker - if only, I could sleep in once in a while.

So since both of the issues that these guests had were (1) they thought Michael was spying on them (really he does have better things to do like be with his kids); and (2) that people in the dining room were listening to their private conversations, I can only assume that these guests have issues thinking people are watching/listening to them and are the type that really want no interactions with others at a B&B - perhaps a hotel would be a better choice for them.

Reviewed 23 January 2014

I have stayed here several times and each time it gets better and better. Michael and Carol always make you feel welcome and at home. The stove in the great room relaxes you so you can go to your very comfortable room for a great night sleep. The breakfast are out of this world and change with every visit. This time I enjoyed caramelized onion quiche, French toast with cinnamon sauce and wonderful scones.

Room Tip: I have stayed in Turkey, Loon, Cowboy and Moose. Each room is comfortable, beds are great. No matt...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
CarolKNH, Owner at Bear Mountain Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 24 January 2014

Thanks for the review from your various visits and we appreciate that you keep choosing Bear Mountain Lodge for your getaways. I'm glad you loved the carmelized onion quiche - it's become a guest favorite and I love the smell of the kitchen when the onions are cooking down. It's one of those dishes that I secretly hope to have leftovers for myself as a treat when I'm done taking care of everyone I can enjoy! And I'm happy that you've enjoyed different rooms - especially Cowboy Roundup which is my favorite. We look forward to your next visit and I'll be sure Michael has a great fire going if it's during the winter so you can sit by the fire and relax.

Reviewed 22 January 2014

Our stay at this lodge was simply amazing! Inn keepers are amazingly welcoming. Breakfast was 5 star, our room was SUPER clean. Only down fall was a few 'snooty' other guests, however that's not within the inn keeper's control. We listened to how the inn keepers kept trying to please these people and honestly I don't think they'd be happy anywhere. :( We felt sorry for them actually. We'd certainly stay again and recommend it to anyone. Keep up the great work Carol and Michael.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Smittenkitten2014

We appreciate the review and we're so happy that you enjoyed your stay, including my breakfasts. I'm working on some new recipes and will be adding them into the mix soon for our guests to enjoy. We look forward to your next visit, take care.

Reviewed 21 January 2014

For the record, this was not our first stay, but every time we do come, we feel warm and welcomed. My wife and I arrived later than anticipated, and was appreciative of Mike being there to let us in. He is always warm and pleasant. From our first visit, he and Carol took the time to get to know us, and even welcomed us into their family by introducing us to their daughter. Every night we are there my wife and I sit in the great room with Mike, Carol and their daughter. They always want to hear how things are with us, and what is new in your lives. We have been to other B&B's, and the owners don't usually show the passion for the "job" that Mike and Carol do.

The lodge:
Gorgeous. Absolutely gorgeous. We have been for all four seasons, and the views are always great. Each room has been very clean and are themed with different animals from the north country (elk, turkey, deer, etc). It gives a nice flavor and makes it not seem like a hotel. The lower rooms are slightly larger, which is nice, and allows easier access to the outdoor hot tub, however they are a little more expensive. We have been snowshoeing on the property (when the snow is around) and Mike was able to take us around and show us some local wildlife. They both had helpful opinions on places to eat (LOVED the new brewery in Littleton), and things to do.

We will always consider the Bear Mountain Lodge as our go to B&B.

Room Tip: The downstairs rooms are the most expensive, but are the best (in my opinion) because of the size an...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Thanks Andrew for taking the time to write a review and it was great having you back for another visit. One of the best things about being an innkeeper is that we get the chance to meet awesome people we would otherwise probably never meet. You guys have become more than guests and Emily enjoys sitting with you when you visit (and it's not just about the chocolate she said to tell you). The fact that we now enjoy the Highland Games in September each year because we have friends to cheer on is something we couldn't have imagined. And as Innkeepers we love repeat guests because it gives us more opportunity to get to know them. You guys are a great couple and we look forward to visiting with you away from the Lodge soon.

Carol

Also consider these accommodations in or near Bethlehem
Arlington Hotel
#1 of 2 in Bretton Woods
Sugar Hill Inn
Sugar Hill Inn
#2 of 4 in Sugar Hill

Been to Bear Mountain Lodge? Share your experiences!