“Our 9th Visit - We LOVE this place!”

and 1 more site!
Bear Mountain Lodge
Ranked #2 of 8 Bethlehem B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersSilver level
Northborough, Massachusetts
“Our 9th Visit - We LOVE this place!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2014

My husband and I discovered BML back in Feb 2006 and have made it a point to come back every year since then. The lodge is so comfortable and relaxing, and the scenery is spectacular. Any season would be fantastic at BML, but we really love our winter visits. The hearty breakfasts prepare us for a busy day of hiking, snow shoeing, skiing, or just looking around the nearby towns. We've found several good places for snow shoeing, including the BML property down to the river. This year we had a magical snow shoe hike during a snowstorm in Crawford Notch. The next day, we skied at Bretton Woods when the sun made the new snow look like it was covered with diamonds. It was a joy to come back to the lodge after our activities and relax with some freshly baked cookies and tea, and look at Mt. Washington through the big picture windows in the great room.

Over the years we have found several wonderful places nearby for dinner, like Cold Mountain Cafe and Timbir Alley. We look forward to having Michael and/or Carol greet us as we return from dinner, and enjoy it when they can take time out of their busy schedule to chat with us about how the day went or what's happening with our families. We really think of Michael and Carol as family, rather than just as innkeepers. I was very happy to hear Michael use similar terms to describe us to the other couple who were at BML for their first visit.

We appreciated that this other couple shared their experience with dog sledding over breakfast. They showed us a short video of their adventure, and talked about what an amazing experience it was.

This is such a special place for us, that I have a picture of my husband and me in front of BML as my screensaver at work. Everyone who comes into my office is impressed at what a beautiful place it is. I hope that my recommendation will encourage several of them to check it out and build their own memories throughout the years at BML, as we have done.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
CarolKNH, Owner at Bear Mountain Lodge, responded to this review, 11 February 2014
Sometimes you have guests who stay just once as they're passing through the area on their summer/foliage visit. Sometimes you have guests who come back once or twice and hope to see again in the future. And sometimes you're lucky enough to have guests who think of Bear Mountain Lodge as their special place, that they visit each year, sometimes more than once a year. We are so happy that Lois and Brian found Bear Mountain Lodge on the Internet a few months after we opened - they were some of our first guests. And each and every year I get an email from Lois saying that they'll be back and sending me her dates. I automatically know her room preference and I reply back that's she's all set, we can't wait for them to arrive.

Michael wasn't just putting on a show for the other couple when he said that Lois and Brian have become like family to us. We are truly blessed with many guests who become much more. Just last week I got a call and it was some other guests who come at least a couple times a year. Mike asked if I had a room for that night because his kids were all busy and they could slip away and if we had a room they would, if we didn't they'd stay home. I can't tell you how this makes us feel that guests want to visit with us, not just check in and head to their room. I know this won't happen with all guests, everyone is different. But those friendships that we've developed with dozens of couples over the years are awesome.

So thanks Lois for the nice review; and I know you don't have Facebook but I put up a great picture of you the other day thanking you for choosing Bear Mountain Lodge all those years ago starting such a great 9 year streak of visits. Until next February … I'll have Moose all ready when you want it.

Carol & Michael

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2014

Our wonderful stay at Bear Mountain Lodge was almost a year ago now. After reading the previous negative reviews, I felt I had to take the time to write about our experience at BML. Like the past reviews, Michael met us at the front door on arrival. This was the start of two days of great hospitality by the Michael and Carol and much appreciated. My wife and I have stayed at well over 30 bed and breakfasts over the last 15 years, and many a time have arrived to a "post it note" on the front door explaining the B & B because the owners/Innkeepers had "more important things to do" besides meet their arriving guests in person.
Michael and Carol spend time with every guest to explain the lodge (with a full tour if desired), hot tub, breakfast, and local attractions to save their guests from wasting time looking at maps. Neither is overwhelming, and do their best to be helpful without crowding their guests every minute of their stay. My wife and I will be back to Bear Mountain Lodge soon. We both appreciate all the hard work Michael and Carol do to make each and every stay at the lodge a lasting memory. Book at stay at this wonderful lodge, you will not be disappointed.

Room Tip: Our stay was in a room at the lower level of the lodge. It was peaceful and quiet.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
CarolKNH, Owner at Bear Mountain Lodge, responded to this review, 9 February 2014
I have to thank this guest for not only this review but the personal email he sent last evening to me and Michael. You see he came here to TripAdvisor and was looking at our recent reviews as he was getting ready to book again. He saw not only our over 400 great reviews but the three recent ones from guests who gave us 3 stars, complaining about taking off their shoes to keep the sand/salt off the hardwood floors and that they couldn't want TV late in the evening in the bar room which closes at 10pm. He was amazed at the reviews because they were so out of character from the great hospitality that they experienced on their 3 night stay with us as well as not meshing with our other reviewers. He told us to please not take them personally, that we're doing a great job. Kind words that Michael and I GREATLY APPRECIATED!

So thanks for making our evening and reminding us about the thousands of wonderful guests we've had these past 8 years. As we start our 9th year, we'll continue to try hard to please each and every guest who books with us and help them enjoy their time in the White Mountains. There may be some that we just can't please, but that's the case in any business and we'll try to put those reviews back on a shelf in our brains and focus on the ones who appreciate all we do to make them feel at home in our home.

Carol & Michael
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2014 via mobile

My wife and I stayed here for 3 nights, and we loved it! The Lodge was absolutely beautiful, and the caretakers were very friendly and accommodating. Our king size bed was so comfortable! The breakfasts were delecious, and there were always fresh baked cookies. The views from the lodge are stunning. There are lots of good restaurants nearby in Bethlehem and Littleton. We are already planning on coming back!

Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you for your review. We really appreciate hearing that guests have enjoyed their stay. And I'm glad that you loved how comfy the king beds are, we're constantly hearing that from guests. I'm not sure if you got to try some of the my homemade English Muffins on your recent trip, but they're going to be served more often so if you didn't you can certainly try some on the next visit. Take care.

Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2014

My husband and I first came to Bear Mountain Lodge during foliage season 2013. It was so gorgeous and enjoyable that we decided to bring two of our three adult daughters with us next time. We booked three nights in January and arrived in a snowstorm. It was beautiful outside but great to be able to cozy up to the warm fire when we got there. Michael and Carol are always so welcoming and helpful with tips for places to go for dinner or interesting activities to experience nearby. This time we tried the new brewery called Schillings in Littleton. It had a great "northern" atmosphere, rugged and casual but stylish, with very friendly service and simple but good food. On the night we went they also had live entertainment that started about 8 p.m.

We skied at Bretton Woods twice. It was cold but exhilarating with beautiful trails and stunning views of the Presidential mountain range. We purchased lift tickets from Carol and Michael (who offer a discounted price) at the inn and were happily on our way. We got ourselves to where we needed to be at the Base Lodge when we heard Carol's voice. She had realized we had the wrong tickets and drove in her car to find us to correct the mistake! Talk about great service!!

On our last day we enjoyed snowshoeing on the loop Michael groomed around the lodge. It was so pristinely beautiful, especially with the new snowcover, that I cannot imagine anything more perfect. We headed out on the trail about ten minutes after a young couple and offered to take their picture down by the river at the end of the loop. We later discovered he had proposed to her only minutes before we broke in on their bliss (sorry!). One consolation for us is that we were able to e-mail them the photo. Their camera was not working because it had frozen up.

Each morning we ate breakfast at the lodge and were pleasantly surprised by something new on the menu. One of our daughters has a sensitivity to dairy and had forgotten to mention that before we arrived. Michael and Carol were more than accommodating at the last minute and made her some scrambled eggs and toast.

When we organized the trip I was a little concerned that our twenty something daughters might not think this place was "cool" enough for them. To our delight we were told that they thought it was the best place ever, they felt at home in every way, and they would love to come back again sometime soon. Sounds like a good plan to me! Thank you again Carol and Michael.

Room Tip: All rooms are great.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank DeirdreFahy
Deidre thanks so much for the great review. It was our pleasure to have your family stay with us, your daughters were wonderful and we're so happy that they loved the Lodge. We do tend to have younger guests than some of the more formal B&Bs in the White Mountains, I think because there isn't a concern that they have to be dressed up or can't touch any of the antiques or it's just to fussy. Perhaps it's the beautiful pool table room or the outdoor hot tub or the in-room jacuzzis - whatever the reason, we love having them here.

I'm also glad that you got a chance to be the first ones out snowshoeing on the trail. Unless you get to do it, I don't think people realize just how peaceful and beautiful it is here on the property going through the woods amongst the snow-covered pines. Michael and I popped out the other night about 9pm after it snowed all day and it was gorgeous. We went down to the river and just stood there listening to the water, taking it all in.

And we're very happy to accommodate gluten and dairy allergies so it was our pleasure to make sure your daughter got to enjoy a great breakfast as well. We look forward to seeing you all again in the future. Take care.

Burlington, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2014

My boyfriend and I just stayed at the Bear Mountain Lodge. We had an awesome stay! From the minute we pulled up we knew we were going to love it. It is an absolutely beautiful home and we were really impressed by how great of a job Mike and Carol did on their home and how they run their b & b. As soon as we walked in we felt so relaxed and at home. It had such a great warmth and coziness to it, along with the gorgeous views of the mountains. It was such a relaxing place to stay, just what we wanted. We stayed for two nights , it was a great distance to everything , the ride to our snowmobiling adventure was so beautiful! After a long fun day doing that, coming back to the lodge to relax was just awesome! . I will definitely recommend this place and hope to be back! Thanks for a excellent stay! :)

• Stayed January 2014
CarolKNH, Owner at Bear Mountain Lodge, responded to this review, 29 January 2014
Thanks so much for the great review, we're glad that you were able to relax on your weekend getaway. The great room with the soapstone stove going is the perfect spot to just hang out, take in the views to Mt. Washington and do nothing! And I must agree that the ride through Crawford Notch over to Bartlett for snowmobiling with Northern Extremes is one of the prettiest rides in the area. We look forward to having you as our guests again the future. Take care.

Westwood, Massachusetts
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 January 2014

My husband and I stayed here just after Christmas. The lodge is very pretty and it is a beautiful spot however we both kept getting the feeling that we were being "kept tabs" on the whole time. The first evening Mike was right at the door and welcomed us (nice touch) but this continued the next night as well. We had a long day and got in fairly late but he was right there looking out the window. This made us feel a bit uncomfortable, When we spend our money to have a weekend away we don't like to feel that we are being watched so much. Breakfast was good but it was sooo quiet we felt everyone could hear our conversations. Overall i would say that it was a strange experience and would probably not return.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 848delz
As innkeepers, you are dealing with thousands of people each year from all over the country and all over the world with different personalities. Many want their hands held to feel special; some want us to sit with them for hours talking about the B&B; some want to be checked in and then left alone; and occasionally you get a guest who doesn't even speak to you during the check-in process, never comes to breakfast and checks-out without even a goodbye -- a wide range of people and personalities to try to please to say the least! Obviously you aren't going to please all so you do what works for you and the 98% of the people who stay with you. Most innkeepers are very gregarious people like us and that's why we're in this business. You want to go above and beyond to make your guests feels special and welcome in your home. I've stayed at B&Bs where the innkeeper couldn't be bothered to help you or give suggestions for dinner or hikes or day trips and is obviously taking your money and moving on - not a pleasant experience for most.

Here's a little background to help put this in perspective: We once had guests come back from dinner about 10:15 and there weren't any spaces in the lot for them (we have 9 spaces for our 9 rooms). We had heard a car pull in about 10pm one summer evening and assumed it was our last guests getting back from dinner. They then knocked on our kitchen door to ask if it was OK for them to just park right in front of the Lodge as there weren't any spaces left. Michael said of course and then went out to investigate who was in their space. Turns out it was someone who was traveling from Montreal to Maine with a Canadian plate and needed a safe place to pull in and rest for a while before they kept driving. Michael of course told them he wanted them to be safe but asked them to pull down the driveway further into an area where we park snowmobile trailers. They were thrilled he wasn't tossing them off the property and gladly moved.

So when we do have cars pull in late at night and we can't see the car or the guests from our side of the Lodge and the people are just sitting in their car for an extended time, Michael or I will go out to the front door to be sure it's guests returning and not someone else. In this case, I believe these guests sat in their car for quite a while, perhaps having a cigarette because we are completely non-smoking property. When they got close enough to the Lodge for Michael to see it was our guests he opened the door for them rather than ignoring them and going back into our side of the building.

As to the dining room being too quiet, we do play music at a low level so that it isn't dead quiet in there. Michael is out there greeting new guests as they come into the dining room and talking with other guests to help plan their day with suggestions for hikes, in the winter going over the weather for the day, etc. It's typically never that quiet in there, often times people are laughing as Michael tends to tell jokes about the breakfast being out of a box from Betty Crocker - if only, I could sleep in once in a while.

So since both of the issues that these guests had were (1) they thought Michael was spying on them (really he does have better things to do like be with his kids); and (2) that people in the dining room were listening to their private conversations, I can only assume that these guests have issues thinking people are watching/listening to them and are the type that really want no interactions with others at a B&B - perhaps a hotel would be a better choice for them.

Plymouth, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2014

I have stayed here several times and each time it gets better and better. Michael and Carol always make you feel welcome and at home. The stove in the great room relaxes you so you can go to your very comfortable room for a great night sleep. The breakfast are out of this world and change with every visit. This time I enjoyed caramelized onion quiche, French toast with cinnamon sauce and wonderful scones.

Room Tip: I have stayed in Turkey, Loon, Cowboy and Moose. Each room is comfortable, beds are great. No matt...
Green Features: The lodge is very environmentally friendly. The innkeepers recycle everything possible.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
CarolKNH, Owner at Bear Mountain Lodge, responded to this review, 24 January 2014
Thanks for the review from your various visits and we appreciate that you keep choosing Bear Mountain Lodge for your getaways. I'm glad you loved the carmelized onion quiche - it's become a guest favorite and I love the smell of the kitchen when the onions are cooking down. It's one of those dishes that I secretly hope to have leftovers for myself as a treat when I'm done taking care of everyone I can enjoy! And I'm happy that you've enjoyed different rooms - especially Cowboy Roundup which is my favorite. We look forward to your next visit and I'll be sure Michael has a great fire going if it's during the winter so you can sit by the fire and relax.

Carol
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bethlehem
Arlington Hotel
Omni Mount Washington Resort
#1 of 2 in Bretton Woods
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,289 reviews
Mountain View Grand Resort & Spa

Been to Bear Mountain Lodge? Share your experiences!