“The perfect NH getaway”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Boston, Massachusetts
“The perfect NH getaway”
Reviewed 25 March 2014

We arrived somewhat late on the Friday of Martin Luther King weekend, yet the owner, Michael, was there to greet us at the door, give us a brief tour, and recommend places we could grab some food at that hour - a friendly, welcoming start to a wonderful weekend. This would be a theme throughout the weekend, making the Lodge a comfortable place to relax as we enjoyed its peacefulness and beautiful view. To illustrate how personable and kind Michael was - on Saturday night, he went out of his way to call the owner of this great restaurant in the next town over so that we could get in to a place that is normally booked. The rooms were quiet and spacious enough for our needs - all the natural wood gave it a rustic, cabin-type feel as well, which was perfect for a weekend away in New Hampshire. The breakfasts were tasty both days, and despite what some commenters have said, they were perfect portions for a normal appetite. The location was perfect - removed, but close enough to the small towns, skiing, and hiking trails the White Mountains are known for. All in all, we highly recommend the Bear Mountain Lodge and we look forward to returning.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Peter D
CarolKNH, Owner at Bear Mountain Lodge, responded to this review, 21 July 2014
Peter - we appreciate your taking the time to share your experience staying with us at the Lodge. Michael is not only a great innkeeper, but he's a great guy who goes out of his way to help guests have an enjoyable stay. Our location is what I call the "quiet side of the Whites" - we're not Conway, we're cute little Towns with some nice shops and some hidden gems of restaurants. And proximity to Franconia Notch and Crawford Notch makes us a great place for guests like you who want to get out and explore the area. We look forward to having you stay with us again in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
Weymouth, Massachusetts
Reviewed 20 March 2014

My husband & I spent a night away at the Bear Mountain Lodge. We were looking for a quiet relaxing getaway and BML was perfect. The mountain views are gorgeous. Our room was clean & comfortable. We had a in room jacuzzi & there is also an outdoor hot tub surrounded by mountain views. Dinner was at Rosa Flamingo- food was delicious. Breakfast in the morning at BML was fantastic. The inn owners are personable & inviting. We will certainly be returning!

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
CarolKNH, Owner at Bear Mountain Lodge, responded to this review, 21 July 2014
Courtney - thanks for the great review, we are so happy that you enjoyed your stay. Our jacuzzi rooms are the most popular and it sounds like your night away was all you were hoping. We are fortunate to have a few great restaurants locally and Rosa Flamingo's with its outdoor patio and live music is a great addition to our Town. Also happy you enjoyed breakfast - what's a B&B getaway without a great start to your day. We look forward to having you stay with us again soon.
Wrentham, Massachusetts
Reviewed 25 February 2014

My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed our time spent at the lodge.
Friendly, caring and comfortable. Just like visiting family.
Cleanest room we have ever had anywhere.
We will be going back in the springtime.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
CarolKNH, Owner at Bear Mountain Lodge, responded to this review, 23 April 2014
Thank you, thank you for the ultimate review. If we can make guests feel comfortable, cared for and relaxed we're doing a great job. Michael truly is an innkeeper who strives to make your stay enjoyable and we're glad it shows. And a shout-out to Cindy our new assistant who continues to keep our rooms some of the cleanest in New England (if not beyond)!
Newington, Connecticut
Reviewed 11 February 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Bear Mountain Lodge this past weekend. The Inn was very clean and well maintained. Michael was very friendly and welcoming. He took the time to speak to my husband about how he supervised the contractors that built the log cabin.

The views from the lodge are beautiful! It was very relaxing playing a game of chess and having breakfast overlooking the mountains. The breakfast was delicious! I only wish it was a bit bigger. My husband and I are very active people and need a little more in the morning to fuel us for running, hiking, and skiing. Maybe having a table with some extra muffins or bagels for the hungrier guests would be a good idea?

Our room (Elk Lodge) was very clean and cozy. My husband did have some trouble sleeping as he felt like he kept sinking into the middle of the bed. I was pretty exhausted and did not have the same problem. However, when I woke up in the morning I did agree with him that the mattress was a bit concave in the middle.

Green Features: They had a separate pail in the bathroom for recyclables.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
CarolKNH, Owner at Bear Mountain Lodge, responded to this review, 23 April 2014
Were very happy that you enjoyed your stay and had a wonderful breakfast overlooking the mountains. We appreciate your input on the mattress which some guests love as it's a double-pillow top and others find too soft. As we change out mattress this year, we're moving to a comfortable yet less sinking top to meet the comfort level of more guests. Thanks for the great review and we look forward to you staying with us again in the future.
Northborough, Massachusetts
Reviewed 9 February 2014

My husband and I discovered BML back in Feb 2006 and have made it a point to come back every year since then. The lodge is so comfortable and relaxing, and the scenery is spectacular. Any season would be fantastic at BML, but we really love our winter visits. The hearty breakfasts prepare us for a busy day of hiking, snow shoeing, skiing, or just looking around the nearby towns. We've found several good places for snow shoeing, including the BML property down to the river. This year we had a magical snow shoe hike during a snowstorm in Crawford Notch. The next day, we skied at Bretton Woods when the sun made the new snow look like it was covered with diamonds. It was a joy to come back to the lodge after our activities and relax with some freshly baked cookies and tea, and look at Mt. Washington through the big picture windows in the great room.

Over the years we have found several wonderful places nearby for dinner, like Cold Mountain Cafe and Timbir Alley. We look forward to having Michael and/or Carol greet us as we return from dinner, and enjoy it when they can take time out of their busy schedule to chat with us about how the day went or what's happening with our families. We really think of Michael and Carol as family, rather than just as innkeepers. I was very happy to hear Michael use similar terms to describe us to the other couple who were at BML for their first visit.

We appreciated that this other couple shared their experience with dog sledding over breakfast. They showed us a short video of their adventure, and talked about what an amazing experience it was.

This is such a special place for us, that I have a picture of my husband and me in front of BML as my screensaver at work. Everyone who comes into my office is impressed at what a beautiful place it is. I hope that my recommendation will encourage several of them to check it out and build their own memories throughout the years at BML, as we have done.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
CarolKNH, Owner at Bear Mountain Lodge, responded to this review, 11 February 2014
Sometimes you have guests who stay just once as they're passing through the area on their summer/foliage visit. Sometimes you have guests who come back once or twice and hope to see again in the future. And sometimes you're lucky enough to have guests who think of Bear Mountain Lodge as their special place, that they visit each year, sometimes more than once a year. We are so happy that Lois and Brian found Bear Mountain Lodge on the Internet a few months after we opened - they were some of our first guests. And each and every year I get an email from Lois saying that they'll be back and sending me her dates. I automatically know her room preference and I reply back that's she's all set, we can't wait for them to arrive.

Michael wasn't just putting on a show for the other couple when he said that Lois and Brian have become like family to us. We are truly blessed with many guests who become much more. Just last week I got a call and it was some other guests who come at least a couple times a year. Mike asked if I had a room for that night because his kids were all busy and they could slip away and if we had a room they would, if we didn't they'd stay home. I can't tell you how this makes us feel that guests want to visit with us, not just check in and head to their room. I know this won't happen with all guests, everyone is different. But those friendships that we've developed with dozens of couples over the years are awesome.

So thanks Lois for the nice review; and I know you don't have Facebook but I put up a great picture of you the other day thanking you for choosing Bear Mountain Lodge all those years ago starting such a great 9 year streak of visits. Until next February … I'll have Moose all ready when you want it.

Carol & Michael
massachusetts
Reviewed 8 February 2014

Our wonderful stay at Bear Mountain Lodge was almost a year ago now. After reading the previous negative reviews, I felt I had to take the time to write about our experience at BML. Like the past reviews, Michael met us at the front door on arrival. This was the start of two days of great hospitality by the Michael and Carol and much appreciated. My wife and I have stayed at well over 30 bed and breakfasts over the last 15 years, and many a time have arrived to a "post it note" on the front door explaining the B & B because the owners/Innkeepers had "more important things to do" besides meet their arriving guests in person.
Michael and Carol spend time with every guest to explain the lodge (with a full tour if desired), hot tub, breakfast, and local attractions to save their guests from wasting time looking at maps. Neither is overwhelming, and do their best to be helpful without crowding their guests every minute of their stay. My wife and I will be back to Bear Mountain Lodge soon. We both appreciate all the hard work Michael and Carol do to make each and every stay at the lodge a lasting memory. Book at stay at this wonderful lodge, you will not be disappointed.

Room Tip: Our stay was in a room at the lower level of the lodge. It was peaceful and quiet.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
CarolKNH, Owner at Bear Mountain Lodge, responded to this review, 9 February 2014
I have to thank this guest for not only this review but the personal email he sent last evening to me and Michael. You see he came here to TripAdvisor and was looking at our recent reviews as he was getting ready to book again. He saw not only our over 400 great reviews but the three recent ones from guests who gave us 3 stars, complaining about taking off their shoes to keep the sand/salt off the hardwood floors and that they couldn't want TV late in the evening in the bar room which closes at 10pm. He was amazed at the reviews because they were so out of character from the great hospitality that they experienced on their 3 night stay with us as well as not meshing with our other reviewers. He told us to please not take them personally, that we're doing a great job. Kind words that Michael and I GREATLY APPRECIATED!

So thanks for making our evening and reminding us about the thousands of wonderful guests we've had these past 8 years. As we start our 9th year, we'll continue to try hard to please each and every guest who books with us and help them enjoy their time in the White Mountains. There may be some that we just can't please, but that's the case in any business and we'll try to put those reviews back on a shelf in our brains and focus on the ones who appreciate all we do to make them feel at home in our home.

Carol & Michael
Reviewed 8 February 2014 via mobile

My wife and I stayed here for 3 nights, and we loved it! The Lodge was absolutely beautiful, and the caretakers were very friendly and accommodating. Our king size bed was so comfortable! The breakfasts were delecious, and there were always fresh baked cookies. The views from the lodge are stunning. There are lots of good restaurants nearby in Bethlehem and Littleton. We are already planning on coming back!

Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you for your review. We really appreciate hearing that guests have enjoyed their stay. And I'm glad that you loved how comfy the king beds are, we're constantly hearing that from guests. I'm not sure if you got to try some of the my homemade English Muffins on your recent trip, but they're going to be served more often so if you didn't you can certainly try some on the next visit. Take care.

Carol
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bethlehem
Arlington Hotel
#1 of 5 in Littleton
Mountain View Grand Resort & Spa
Omni Bretton Arms Inn at Mount Washington Resort
The Mulburn Inn at Bethlehem

Been to Bear Mountain Lodge? Share your experiences!