“Perfect base of operations!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bretton Woods
Highland Center Lodge at Crawford Notch
GreenLeadersGold level
Westchester, New York, United States
“Perfect base of operations!”
Reviewed 16 August 2012

If you want to explore the White Mountains, have kids but don't want the hassles that camping brings (i.e., tents, cooking, bugs), this is the right place. The friendly AMC staff who work here really make people feel welcome and it is also a great way to meet other like-minded, outdoors-oriented people.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Kevin C

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Quebec City, Canada
Reviewed 13 August 2012

My friend and I stayed at the Highland center August 10th..the night before setting out for a hike to the summit of Mt. Washington. Unfortunately we were unable to take advantage of the great outdoor setup because of torrential rain that fell all evening. We had a private bunkroom (2 bunks). The beds were comfortable, the room was clean and spacious enough for us and our hiking gear and the section we were in was very quiet. The shared bathroom was very clean. Dinner on Friday night consisted of an all you can eat buffet. The food was tasty and hot and there was plenty of it. We had several inquiries regarding shuttle schedules and the best trails to hike to the summit given the forecast. The staff was very curteous and more than helpful. Breakfast the next morning was hot, tasty and once again there was plenty of food! The location of the Highland center is fantastic if you are a hiker or want to do some cycling in the area. I can't comment on activities because we only stayed for one evening. You might think that the Highland Center is a bit pricey. However, when you consider the comfort, location and meals, it really isn't much more expensive than a motel. I agree with the comments made by Hiking Yaking, it's worth getting an AMC membership to take advantage of the discounts.

Room Tip: We had a private bunk room (two bunks) with a shared bathroom. We were located on the third floor...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Poussinnetta2012
RI
Reviewed 3 August 2012

I was there late in July and very much enjoyed my stay. My family and I spent three nights at the Highland and we all had a good time.

POSITIVES:

1. Great BBQ for those checking in on a Sunday. I expected just burgers and dogs but they had so much more. The ribs and potato salad were some of the best I have ever had.

2. Meals included and were all creative and very good. You certainly get enough to eat at the Highland Center.

3. Staff. I give the staff a rating of 5. These folks were helpful and courteous. I'm an experienced hiker so I didn't need much help from them on that topic. However there were plenty of inexperienced hikers there who received excellent advice from those working the front desk.

4. Kids Power Hour. What a great way for kids to get together and play some fun games while the parents relaxed after a day of hiking.

5. Location. The location of the Highland Center cannot be beat. Right in the middle of Crawford Notch with plenty of hiking trails outside the door.

6. Condition. The place is well maintained and kept clean.

NEGATIVES:

1. Can be a bit noisy before and after quiet hours. We did hear the door in the hallway quite a bit and people above us walking around. The soundproofing could be better but thankfully quiet hours seem to be enforced. Most folks go to bed early anyway.

2. Lack of adult activites at night. I personally would have liked to have seen some hiking documentary films or perhaps listened to some guest speakers talk on the topics of hiking and the history of the White Mountains. The only night activities seemed to be geared towards the kids with cartoon movies.

SUMMATION:

The Highland Center is not cheap but the place is beautiful and well kept. The food IMO is excellent. If you are a serious hiker or want to start taking up hiking I would strongly suggest staying at the Highland Center. The overall experience is a good one and the folks staying there are all there for the hiking so you'll have something in common with others. Do yourself a favor and get an AMC membership before going so that you can get the discounts.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 3 July 2012

Just got back. Hot, unfriendly, poor food, unreasonably expensive. If you want to make a lot of money, put folks up in bunk beds, in rooms with thin walls and shared baths. Deliver them the "sustainable" experience they are looking for, by supplying cold water sinks for shaving, and making them go all over creation to find a garbage can. Put them in conflict with themselves, by over-charging for packaged items, so that you can sanctimoniously humiliate them as they finish.

Some things we knew we were signing up for, as travelers among a larger group. But It was their idea of the human touch that was most memorable.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Peter W
abrais, Manager at Highland Center Lodge at Crawford Notch, responded to this review, 2 August 2012
We are sorry your recent stay did not meet your expectations. We would like to better understand your specific concerns so we can do our best to correct them. We will send you contact information for Rick McCarten, our Highland Center Lodge Manager, in a separate email. Please contact him at your earliest convenience.
maine
Reviewed 22 May 2012

I recently took 41 high school seniors to Highland lodge for an adventure based trip. The rooms were perfect for the kids and bonding time. They had girls and boys bath/shower rooms which were fine. The food was amazing and included in our price. The staff were nothing but helpful, fun and wonderful. They had a staff member set a campfire for us, providing us with s'mores and drinks. Our kids played outdoors with no thoughts of tv or video games, just hiking and fresh air. We spent day two zip lining up at Bretton Woods, another great trip.
I can't wait to take the family here.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
Montreal
Reviewed 21 May 2012

My hubby and I stayed here for the first time last night. Many reviewers write that it's inexpensive. I don't agree with that. It cost each of us $103 for a night, supper and breakfast to stay in a room with 2 sets of bunk beds. Perhaps everyone writing that is used to spending much more per night, but for a total of $206, usually we can get a queen size bed and private bathroom, as well as our meals. It's a high end hostel, with shared bathrooms. Even though I found it expensive, I don't mind paying that price as it's an Appalachian Mountain Club property and the money goes to a good organization, in my opinion.

The staff was very nice and helpful. We just showed up and had no problem getting a place to stay. The young man at the front desk said he would make sure to put anyone else who comes in after us in another room so we could have privacy. The room was plenty roomy for 2, near the bathrooms. If you're not a good sleeper, earplugs could come in useful, as soundproofing isn't great (like most places) and it's near the highway.

The buildings and property are very nice, clean, well maintained. There are attractive common rooms with lovely views, a games room in the basement, and even a very nice photo exhibit on the property. Our meals were good, a family style supper in the evening, and a buffet breakfast the next morning. All in all, a good stay and if I find myself in the area I would stay again.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Concord, New Hampshire
Reviewed 25 April 2012

My family are reluctant outdoors people. However, I was looking for an affordable, inclusive vacation spot for a few nights in April and thought we'd try this. The lodge and the staff were all fantastic, We had a decent size room with a queen bed and two sets of bunk beds and a bath down the hall. Since the lodge was close to empty, we had the bathroom to ourselves. The common areas were fantastic, and because it rained during our entire stay, we took advantage of spending hours in front of the fire, reading, drawing and playing games. My son and I took advantage of the L.L. Bean gear room to check out a set of trekking poles for our hike up to Gibbs Falls, which is a spectacular, short hike for a other reluctant hikers. The meals were excellent, our only complaint was they served too much food and we felt bad leaving so much on the table. The homemade bread was a real treat. I will return, maybe in the winter for cross-country skiing, but may leave my grumpy family behind!

Room Tip: The rooms on the South Side have a lovely view.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Omni Mount Washington Resort
Omni Mount Washington Resort
#1 of 2 in Bretton Woods
Omni Bretton Arms Inn at Mount Washington Resort

Been to Highland Center Lodge at Crawford Notch? Share your experiences!