“Wonderful discovery while in the White Mountains of New Hampshire!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bretton Woods
Highland Center Lodge at Crawford Notch
GreenLeadersGold level
Reykjavik, Iceland
“Wonderful discovery while in the White Mountains of New Hampshire!”
Reviewed 23 April 2013

Our spur-of-the-moment "ghost hunting" trip to the White Mountains of New Hampshire brought us to the AMC Highland Center, and what a wonderful discovery! The Center is not a typical hiker's/outdoorsman's retreat, the building is large, clean, and modern with the feeling of an upscale hunting lodge. The accomodations were more than adequate, the staff was knowledgeable and friendly, and the food was delicious, plentiful, and at an amazingly reasonable price. Though the Center appeared to be rather full, the staff was able to house us in a private, family-friendly room that was very comfortable. We participated in a snow-shoe tour of the maple sugaring on the AMC grounds and in our borrowed snow-shoes set out to explore the surrounding area (all day activities and use of snow-shoes and other outdoor clothing and footware is free!). We definately recommend the Center as a place to stay as a base for exploring the surrounding sites, as an area resource for information about everything from the weather to local legends, and as a warm and friendly place to return to at the end of the day!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank miacapretta

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Logan, Utah
Reviewed 3 April 2013

Stayed at the AMC Highland Center Lodge while participating in an avalanche training course which utilized one of the lodge's conference rooms. I opted to stay in the bunkhouse for two nights. The price was right--as a non-member I paid about $55/night with breakfast AND dinner included.

I just want to say that for those used to a "wilderness lodge" feel from mountain club accomodations, this is not that. The Highland Center is located right on route 302 (you can see the cars pass by). The grounds are spacious and pretty in the snow, just below the mountains, and the lodge itself is very tidy and modern-furnished. However just note that the paths/walkways are not graveled and in winter/early spring they were both icy and muddy. The playground adjacent to the lodge made me wish I was 8 years old, it looked like a kid's dream playground. The lodge/center is located just a few minutes from the Mount Washington Cog Railway and several USFS trailheads but is still a 45-minute drive from Pinkham Notch.

Like another reviewer mentioned, the great room in the lodge, where most folks hang out before and after dinner, was extremely crowded on a Saturday night, with children running around and climbing on the furniture. This is not a lodge for a quiet stay, I don't think.

Dinner was amazing, I couldn't believe how much food and of such quality for the small amount I paid. Soup, salad, fresh handmade bread, entree and dessert--if I wasn't backcountry skiing I would have gained 5 pounds in the 3 days I was there. The kitchen staff seemed very accomodating to special dietary requests. Breakfast was complete and had enough to satisfy everyone.

The bunkhouse was good for its price. For my 3-day stay I received just 1 towel, probably would have been given another if I had asked. There was no storage in the bunkroom, so I had a little moat of ski gear surrounding my bed. Perhaps build in some shelving? There were also only 2 showers and 2 toilets for a building that holds about 16 persons--it was OK while I was there because only 6 of us were in the building but with more it would be crowded. There was a nice kitchenette with a small refrigerator I utilized. Missed the 8-inch drop outside the door in the dark and nearly broke my ankle, so just watch out.

Lodge manager, hike leader and young man at the front desk with a ponytail were all very polite and helpful. Some other staff seemed distant and even a little grumpy. Bad time of year?

Overall, well worth the price I paid. Not sure about the private rooms though since I didn't stay in one. Beautiful main lodge, very modern with good interpretive programs it seems. Likely a very nice place for a family to stay.

Room Tip: If staying in the bunkroom, pick a bed away from the doors, lest you be awakened by each guest enter...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 28 March 2013

The staff was excellent, the food was great, and the surrounding area is beautiful! The AMC staff is busy preparing for summer, there was a crew and a helicopter in the field the following morning sending supplies and equipment up to the huts.

• Stayed March 2013
Sharon, Massachusetts
Reviewed 26 March 2013

We just had a wedding at the Highland Center and it was perfect. The accommodations and the staff were superb. There wasn't one person that we came in contact with that couldn't have been any more pleasant,courteous and helpful. Kudos to the lodge management, head chef (Matt), wait staff, front desk and everyone else who participated in this event. The experience was wonderful and we will return in the near future.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank WarrenJr
Burlington, Vermont
Reviewed 4 February 2013

I stayed at the Highland Lodge this past weekend for the first time. I was doing some hiking and found the lodge to be a perfect location. My room was clean and the staff was friendly...though the food was just so-so. It was nice to have dinner ready after a long day out in the woods, but I would have eaten really about anything.
I didn't use the equipment room or participate in any of the activities they have planned but it seemed there was a lot going on there. It was perfect location for my needs.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
Lexington
Reviewed 12 January 2013

I was on a showshoeing and winter hiking trip. I'd stayed there before, and knew what to expect.

With snowshoes, it is very helpful to have a place to sit when putting them on. The lodge has vestibules at its two main entrances; in addition the south side entrance has a roof covering several feet of the exit area. Benches should be placed at these exits to help older people put on their snowshoes when leaving for a hike, and returning from one.

Each night, just as dinner is being served, a staff member annoyingly interrupts to give a promotional talk about joining the Appalachian Mountain Club. While this is going on, the serving staff is waiting and the food is getting cold on serving trays. One evening, when there were only about 20 guests in the lodge, the staffer began by asking whether anyone was already an AMC member. 100% of the guests there were, but the staffer still proceeded with a promotional talk about the benefits of membership!

There was a housekeeping staff person who cleaned rooms of those who had checked out, but not for those continuing for another night. I was there for 3 nights; my bed was never made, towels were never changed, and the wastebasket was never emptied. I don't know whether this was due to policy or plain neglect.

We won't go to this lodge again.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank JoeHLexington
AMC L, Manager at Highland Center Lodge at Crawford Notch, responded to this review, 3 April 2013
Thank you for staying at the Highland Center for your recent
snowshoeing and winter hiking trip. We appreciate the feedback you have
shared and feel it is important we acknowledge your concerns and report
back to you the actions we have taken to improve.

Your suggestion of having benches at each of our entrances is an
excellent idea, and we have since placed one at each of our three entry
areas to make it easier for our guests to put on winter gear and
equipment. Our evening "Dinner Talks" are intended to express
appreciation for the support of our AMC Members and to provide useful
information that may help our guests make the most of their stay with
us, including updated activities & programming schedules along with the