Highland Center Lodge at Crawford Notch
US$227
US$198
US$159
Priceline
Omni Mount Washington Resort(Bretton Woods)(Great Value!)
US$445
US$188
US$413
  • Pool
Carlson's Lodge(Twin Mountain)(Great Value!)
US$128
Orbitz.com
Inn At Bowman(Randolph)
US$271
Attitash Motel(Bartlett)(Great Value!)
US$108
US$97
Mountain View Grand Resort & Spa(Whitefield)(Great Value!)
US$164
US$121
Hotels.com
Arlington Hotel(Bethlehem)(Great Value!)
US$173
All reviewsll beangear roomfamily styleshared bathbunk roombreakfast and dinnerwhite mountainsrain pantscommon showerwinter hikingroom rate issmall bedbuffet stylegreat outdoorsmountain clubboard gamesviews of the mountains
Reviewed 2 August 2009

This place was awesome. I was driving through the White Mountains in New Hampshire. It was so beautiful. I had just finished a hike and wasn't ready to leave this beautiful place. I drove around a bend and saw this lodge-like building. I was hoping it was a hotel so I drove in to the parking lot. It turned out to be a certified green hotel, and they had vacancy, score! I got a private room, (they have lots of rooms that are shareable). Breakfast and dinner are included with the cost of your stay. The views were breathtaking. The food is served at tables, you can't really order what you want and you have to be there for dinner right there at 6pm or you will miss it (I did). Breakfast is a little more liberal, served from 6:30-10am. You can check out LL Bean gear to go hiking with. They have environmentally friendly programs, and lots of recycling. They have informative stuff on the walls. There are some really good hikes that are located very close to the lodge. I recommend hiking Mt. Willard. It takes about an hour to get to the top but the view is totally worth it.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled solo
1  Thank kemarti1
Reviewed 29 November 2008

My husband and I spent 2 nights and 2 days at the AMC Highland House over Thanksgiving in 2008. When we arrived on Thanksgiving at 5 pm, our room ( #314, on the end of the building) was really cold - 60 degrees or less. There were no thermostats in the room, so we assumed that the heat was only turned on once the guests checked in and the room would warm up gradually. By Friday evening, there was no change in the temperature. By this time, my husband had come down with a fever and chills; I was concerned about him sleeping in such a cold room, so I went down to talk to the front desk staff. I was told that the guest rooms were supposed to be between 68 and 72 degrees. When I informed the gentleman that our room was easily in the low 60's and possibly below that, I was met with a blank stare and was told that "it's a problem with the building". (At no time did he ever come to our room and feel for himself what the temperature was. To me, this indicates that they knew of the problem and had heard about it before from other guests.) I told him that my husband was ill, then suggested that the heat might be malfunctioning in our room. He repeated that the cold in that room was "a problem with the heating system" in the building and that there was nothing to be done. But he would get us some extra blankets - which he did. When I checked with him again later, to ask if we could switch rooms or do something to take care of my husband, he told me that he had checked the 1 thermostat in that wing, that it was working properly and therefore no one would come to check on the heating. When I pointed out to him that heat is one of the basics that a paid facility is supposed to supply, he suggested I fill out a response card about the issue. Despite the clean facility and the delicious food, we will never stay there again - how can they put guests in a room that they know doesn't get heat? And ours was not a last-minute reservation either - we booked it in September. Another example of how the AMC has lost its soul in its quest for more money.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled with family
5  Thank nhcoos
Reviewed 2 September 2008

I just read some of the reviews here, I guess maybe my expectations were somewhat different. This was the second time we stayed at the lodge, this time with the kids ages 17 and two 13 yr olds. We had previously stayed in a private room with a private bath, this time it was a private bunk room with a shared bath. Staying in one room together, in bunks no less, was interesting, but certainly not the main focus of our trip. Beds were not very comfortable, especially compared to the private room, but no matter. We were there to hike and not think about anything else and I felt the lodge succeeded in meeting our expectations. It's a unique place; it's more refined than other AMC establishments yet more spartan than a regular hotel/resort. For a family of moderate hikers, the lodge took care of everything short of walking the trails for us. I guess we're who they built the place for.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family
3  Thank backyardadventurer
Reviewed 30 April 2008

As a long time AMC member I was quite disappointed with my entire Highland Lodge experience. The person taking the reservation at the central booking phone number was curt, at best. I pointed out that my 3+ day low season rate was almost the same as the peak season 3+ day rate, no response.

Resevation policy is terrible. Was informed I would have to pay for the entire trip if my plans changed, not just the typical first night's stay. Met people at the lodge that will not book in advance. Once they could not get to the lodge because of a major Northeast storm. They had to pay for the whole trip and weren't even able to get a credit for future use.

A summary of problems:

* Food as previously reported is from so-so to bad. Nothing was really good. Only Friday night has 6 to 9 dining. Found myself rushing back to lodge at 6pm for marginal food other nights. Wondered whether it was worth the effort.

* Room was tiny, as previously reported, a terrible value. A so-called private room - BUT - if they are busy someone may be put in with you! Not even an alarm clock. Friends in room with bath said shower was dark and toilet kept clogging. Nice. Also in AM the cold water line ran warmer than the warm water line. Shower only, no tub.

* Carpet thread bare on stairs.

* Walkway from parking lot is fine crushed stone. During the long mud season the path is pure mud. Needs to be a stone or paved walk! Everyone tracked that mess in the building.

* No Internet computer in building. Have to ask to use computer behind front desk, standing up. Staff would let you use computer, but with a little attitude sometimes. Lodge has wi-fi, but everyone does not have laptops and many would not want another thing to lug to the mtns.

* Dining room silver put in holders wrong way. Handles not facing out. No way to get silver without touching a lot of other peoples silver. Silver often dirty with giant water marks. Looks like spoons air dryed full of water. Not clean.

* Tip envelope? Let's be serious!

* People complained of rooms near noisy elevator.

THIS PLACE NEEDS A LOT OF WORK!!

An AMC member this is not known to be picky and knows this is not meant to be a resort type place.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled solo
2  Thank NEasternUSA
Reviewed 9 March 2008

The AMC Highland Center is heavily earth focused, with "green" initiatives and outdoor exploration opportunities. Be prepared for low-flow showerheads and toilets, and unsalted parking lots and walkways in the winter. On the other hand, the Center offers numerous daily programs and tours to introduce people to outdoor adventures such as hiking, snowshoeing, and cross country skiing. There were probably 8-10 planned activities for each day.

Other positives: The staff are very friendly and helpful. When I asked for directions to where the nightly movie was being shown, one of the staffmembers introduced himself and me about myself while walking me to the right room.

Other negatives: The building could definitely use better sound-proofing. With the running up and down the halls, wind and rain noise, it was difficult to sleep. While none of these noises are unusual, most other lodging seems to be more sound-proof and the noises are more muted.

• Stayed: March 2008
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank PrincessBrooke